CcMmYK Printing?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Um, what is it? I assume that it allows more colors to be reproduced, but what exactly are the c and the m?

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    CcMmYK = Cyan, light cyan, magenta, light magenta, yellow and black. The light cyan and light magenta allow smoother tone graduations to be printed.

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>CcMmYK = Cyan, light cyan, magenta, light magenta, yellow and black. The light cyan and light magenta allow smoother tone graduations to be printed.

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Out of curiousity, why are y and k inks necessary?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>

Out of curiousity, why are y and k inks necessary?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I believe you need all three colours (cyan, magenta and yellow) to be able to reproduce any other colour. I'm not sure if black is necessary because its the only colour that can't be reproduced by mixing the other three, or because its a commonly used colour for text and it makes sense to include it in its own right. I think it may be both.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I should have been more specific. I know color theory, and I know why you need C,M,Y, and K. What I was asking is why the c and m (light cyan and light magenta) help increase your color gamut, but y and k (light yellow and light black) don't. Or do they, but are too expensive? Or something?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I should have been more specific. I know color theory, and I know why you need C,M,Y, and K. What I was asking is why the c and m (light cyan and light magenta) help increase your color gamut, but y and k (light yellow and light black) don't. Or do they, but are too expensive? Or something?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry, my mistake, you did say y and k, not Y and K!

I think the answer is that y and k do increase the colour gamut, but it's a question of expense. Some Canon printers do offer CcMmYyK and CcMmYyKk, but they cost a lot more. Light cyan and light magenta may be chosen in preference to light yellow and light black in six colour printers, as they enable smooth skin tones to be reproduced, and people are a popular subject to photograph.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The only warning I will give you about a 'Wide gamut' system that uses more then the normal 4 colours is, not to use it as a Pre-Press proofing printer (unless it is accurately calibrated). A desktop printer with the extra colours is going to be able to print far more tones than a traditional CMYK Printing press. Showing a proof to a client, then the final press printed article looking different does not a happy client make.

And for any one else who wants to know why you need black ink. It's because CM&Y all together in theory produce black, but in real life create a sort of muddy brown, the Black ink gives you a nice solid black.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Mediaman:

<strong>...Showing a proof to a client, then the final press printed article looking different does not a happy client make...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Lol, I bet, so would you recommend getting just a normal CMYK printer? I'm not really in a position right now where that would cause unhappy clients, but if I don't get a real job soon, more extensive freelancing is not out of the question...