83-year-old woman sues Apple after walking into glass retail store door

Comments

• Reply 21 of 160
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

There are very obvious labels on the glass. This woman is just stupid and should be embarrassed rather than angry.

are there?

From what I see on the web, they seem to be, at most, waist height. Apple seem to already know about people walking into their glass and have actually put up labels in response in other locations.

I agree that people should take responsibility for themselves, but you build a storefront with starphire glass, what do you expect is going to happen? $1m is a bit rich but the labels should be placed closer to eye level than the photos I've seen on the web for this store.

Here, standards mandate this kind of stuff for the obvious reason. When I was younger I walked straight through a sliding door at a friends house - it wasn't tempered, either. That's something else that standards here take care of. It's easy to do, and a moment of inattentiveness is all it can take.
  • Reply 22 of 160
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    All I can say is, America is one crazy messed up country.
  • Reply 23 of 160
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

How fast could she have possibly been walking and how forward was she leaning to have hit her nose on the door first and to have broken it?

That made me laugh out loud. Reminded me of the steam-roller death in Austin Powers. Or the scene in Inception where the van is plummeting off the bridge in slow motion...cue the two note progression... People hear the music, look up, and know automatically that it is either the "kick"or some old lady is about to walk into a glass wall. We have three minutes in young person time before she actually hits the wall...

Yeah, probably not Apple's fault.
  • Reply 24 of 160
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Actually, I don't think this claim is entirely without merit.

A clean plate-glass window that has no visible frame and goes from ground to ceiling is, essentially, invisible. I've walked into such things before, albeit with no after effects beyond bruised pride, and I'm no dunce about modern architecture (it was my first choice of career).

In the UK, such plate-glass 'walls' generally have patterns or lines etched into them at approximately eye-level so that there is, at close quarters, a visual barrier which prevents most if not all people colliding with them.

Apple undoubtedly has third-party liability insurance for this sort of event and it will almost certainly settle long before the case comes to a formal hearing. That doesn't mean that the 'little old lady' is taking them for a ride though. She was injured and the injury was something that could have been foreseen and prevented with a small amount of care and forethought.

It's not a joke, and it's not an 'only in America' thing either. I'm one of Apple's biggest fans (I've spent ungodly amounts of money on Apple kit!) and I'm still capable of seeing that she has genuine cause here. The $1m is a lawyer's starting-pistol it's not her ultimate game plan, I'm sure. I dare say she'll settle for a fraction of that. After all, broken noses cost money to fix! I'd say it will probably be settled for the cost of her treatment, plus a reasonable sum for inconvenience, pain and distress, so probably treatment plus $25k maybe. And we'll probably never know, since it'll be tidied up nicely in a confidentiality agreement!

She'll get her medical bills paid and a free iPad plus $1. Where do you get off thinking she's getting $25k for her own mistake? Somehow we're supposed to allow an elderly person abuse themselves in this manner and blame it on the business owner?

When do we get a story about her driving her car into a tree and suing the State for planting a tree in her way?
  • Reply 25 of 160
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    appleinsider really should have posted the picture of the store front. (macrumours)

yes the glass is clear... but there are four rows of grey balls on the floor where the display window section is... i would guess four feet worth... and i would assume that they are there to prevent or make it very hard for a smash-and-grab. thus, even if the glass was not there, if woulf be very difficult to walk over those balls. thus it is common sense that you should use the door, and not wall over the balls.

I think apple should change the white lines on the glass to hollow apple icons...

i wonder if this lady has problems with the sliding glass door in her house... i've walked into those. (a note to the family of that granny... make sure to supervise her entry/exit to/from the patio... she has a history of crashing into glass)
  • Reply 26 of 160
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Is there any security camera footage from the Apple Store? or perhaps better from the surrounding area?

How do we know she didn't fall in the bathtub at home - breaking her nose there - then find a convenient scapegoat to blame?

There are certainly cases where people have done such things - to either cause an accident - or to blame someone not responsible.

I am not sure how it turned out but locally, years ago, there was a case where a pedestrian tripped over an uneven sidewalk and sued the city, the home owner of the house, and since it happened to be listed for sale, both the listing agent and the real estate brokerage selling the house. Now laws may vary when it comes to whose responsibility it is to take care of the sidewalk in front of your house - but how in the world could the listing agent or broker be responsible? The answer is they can't really but they might have deeper pockets or be more willing to settle than the city or the home owner. I think the pedestrian should have be countersued for failing to observe proper safety precautions when using the sidewalk in front of my house and creating a hazard to other pedestrians as well as motorists - if the pedestrian consistently demonstrated a lack of ability to safely navigate an uneven sidewalk then clearly presents a danger to the public.
  • Reply 27 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OlivierL View Post

Number of accident for lack of visual indication of glass doors / number of visitors in Apple store NOT hitting the glass door => proof visual indication already in place is plenty enough since this occurs soooooooo rarely.

Statistically, there might be more heart attack occurring in Apple Stores than people hitting the glass door. Should people attack Apple for a this ?

Yes. It's Apple's fault for making such heart-stoppingly awesome products.
  • Reply 28 of 160
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    So in other words the elderly should sue glass sliding door manufacturers as well.

Seriously at what speed was she moving? Didn't she see the big stainless steel handle on the door or is that made of glass too?

Is it also hard to believe that a store has a door? In all her 83 years has she never entered a store or seen a glass door?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Actually, I don't think this claim is entirely without merit.

A clean plate-glass window that has no visible frame and goes from ground to ceiling is, essentially, invisible. I've walked into such things before, albeit with no after effects beyond bruised pride, and I'm no dunce about modern architecture (it was my first choice of career).

In the UK, such plate-glass 'walls' generally have patterns or lines etched into them at approximately eye-level so that there is, at close quarters, a visual barrier which prevents most if not all people colliding with them.

Apple undoubtedly has third-party liability insurance for this sort of event and it will almost certainly settle long before the case comes to a formal hearing. That doesn't mean that the 'little old lady' is taking them for a ride though. She was injured and the injury was something that could have been foreseen and prevented with a small amount of care and forethought.

It's not a joke, and it's not an 'only in America' thing either. I'm one of Apple's biggest fans (I've spent ungodly amounts of money on Apple kit!) and I'm still capable of seeing that she has genuine cause here. The $1m is a lawyer's starting-pistol it's not her ultimate game plan, I'm sure. I dare say she'll settle for a fraction of that. After all, broken noses cost money to fix! I'd say it will probably be settled for the cost of her treatment, plus a reasonable sum for inconvenience, pain and distress, so probably treatment plus $25k maybe. And we'll probably never know, since it'll be tidied up nicely in a confidentiality agreement!

• Reply 29 of 160
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    No comment on the legal aspects of this, but it seems to me that this represents bad store UI design on Apple's part. They should have something (other than lame white stickers) that artistically and subtly makes it clear to users of their stores that there is a wall of glass to be avoided.

Here's an idea -- have some kind of proximity sensor that triggers a reaction by the glass -- it could become temporarily opaque as someone approaches. That would be cool. (note that I have no idea how to make that happen technically, but I'm sure somebody at Apple does -- those guys have the smartness).
  • Reply 30 of 160
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    *Knock-knock*

Who's there?

Little old lady.

Little old lady who?

I didn't know you could yodel.
  • Reply 31 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

are there?

From what I see on the web, they seem to be, at most, waist height. Apple seem to already know about people walking into their glass and have actually put up labels in response in other locations.

I agree that people should take responsibility for themselves, but you build a storefront with starphire glass, what do you expect is going to happen? $1m is a bit rich but the labels should be placed closer to eye level than the photos I've seen on the web for this store.

Here, standards mandate this kind of stuff for the obvious reason. When I was younger I walked straight through a sliding door at a friends house - it wasn't tempered, either. That's something else that standards here take care of. It's easy to do, and a moment of inattentiveness is all it can take.

By this women's (i.e. her lawyer's) logic, there needs to be red velvet ropes in front of any stairwell or escalator to keep people from falling down them.

You cannot substitute laws or lawsuits for taking personal responsibility and moving on with your life.

"It's pretty stupid to run around a pool with a steak knife, but that does not mean we need a law against it."
  • Reply 32 of 160
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    You can't walk around the streets and expect everything to be safe like a baby's crib. You've got to pay attention.
  • Reply 33 of 160
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

It's just plane stupidity and not paying attention -

I didn't see any stupid aeronautical vehicles involved in this story.

In any event, she'll probably collect something for 'pane' and suffering.

I'm just wondering how an 80 year old lady is moving fast enough to run into a glass wall and break her nose.
  • Reply 34 of 160
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

No comment on the legal aspects of this, but it seems to me that this represents bad store UI design on Apple's part. They should have something (other than lame white stickers) that artistically and subtly makes it clear to users of their stores that there is a wall of glass to be avoided.

Here's an idea -- have some kind of proximity sensor that triggers a reaction by the glass -- it could become temporarily opaque as someone approaches. That would be cool. (note that I have no idea how to make that happen technically, but I'm sure somebody at Apple does -- those guys have the smartness).

There actually is a glass that turns opaque when a small voltage is applied to it. I have seen it used on a bathroom window. As far as I know its the whole plane of glass not just a section.
  • Reply 35 of 160
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Hahaha i was thinking of the scene in 'Hot Fuzz' when the old granny gets fly kicked in the face, so so so funny ahhhhh good times

anyways, lawsuits are so far above & beyond retarded in america, is anyone surprised?
  • Reply 36 of 160
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Someone will catch the fact.

Is she the same women who burnt her lips on HOT coffee

Skip
  • Reply 37 of 160
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ewiz77 View Post

this is a joke.

No, the lawyer who took the case is a joke ...
  • Reply 38 of 160
    Do a Rumsfeld on her - pay her off on the courthouse steps assuming she's still alive 8 yrs from now.
  • Reply 39 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An octogenarian has filed a legal complaint against Apple after she broke her nose on the doors of the Manhasset Apple Store in Long Island.

Evelyn Paswall is suing Apple for $1 million for negligence because she crashed into a glass door at one of the company's retail locations, reports CBS New York ( The Next Web).

The plaintiff said she had no idea a glass wall as in her way as she walked up to the store, and the resulting collision broke her nose. Derek T. Smith, Paswall's attorney, said his client, who is 83 years old, "sees well, but she did not see any glass."

?Apple wants to be cool and modern and have the type of architecture that would appeal to the tech crowd, but on the other hand, they have to appreciate the danger that this high-tech modern architecture poses to some people,? Smith said, told The New York Post.

The lawsuit alleges that Apple was negligent because it did not provide "proper warning" for its glass walls and doors. According to the report, the company has since posted warning strips on the glass of its Manhasset Store. Apple placed warning stickers on some of the glass display windows at its retail stores after similar incidents occurred.

The glass fronts at the company's brick-and-mortar stores have also provided criminals with opportunities to perform "smash and grab" burglaries at some locations. More than a dozen stores have been broken into in recent years.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

...medical expenses and an iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 160
    [QUOTE=CogitoDexter;2080958]Actually, I don't think this claim is entirely without merit.

In the UK, such plate-glass 'walls' generally have patterns or lines ... Is that because UK'ers are too stupid to know it's a glass door?