Apple executives net $150M selling vested stock units granted in 2008

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

After a batch of restricted stock-based compensation vested last Saturday, three of Apple's executives sold off the shares, netting roughly $150 million after taxes.

Regulatory filings submitted to the SEC revealed the transactions, as reported by iPhoneinCanada.ca. Apple CEO Tim Cook, CFO Peter Oppenheimer, SVP Scott Forstall, SVP Phil Schiller and SVP Bob Mansfield were all reported as having vested restricted stock units on March 24.

The Cupertino, Calif., company granted the compensation in September 2008 in order to lock in its core executive team through 2012. At the time, shares of Apple stood at $105.26 and the stock grants were worth $122 million.

Cook received the largest award with a total of 200,000 shares. 93,360 of the shares were set aside to pay taxes on the award. After the remaining securities were sold off in batches, Cook netted $64 million. Earlier this month, the executive made " target="_blank">$11 million off vested stock granted to him after he guided the company while the late Steve Jobs' was on medical leave.

After taxes, Oppenheimer made $47 million off his 150,000 shares, while Schiller netted $39 million from 120,000 shares. Cook, Oppenheimer and Schiller each had set up their trades through a Rule 10b5-1 trading plan that schedules transactions in advance to protect executives from allegations of insider trading.

Both Mansfield and Forstall did not appear to have automatically traded their vested shares, though SEC forms showed that they had surrendered the shares needed to pay taxes on their awards. Apple SVP Jonathan Ive presumably also received more than $50 million in vested stock, but the company is not required to file SEC forms for the awards because of his position.

According to an analysis by equity research firm Equilar, Apple's executives are at the top of the list for company leaders benefitting from stock compensation this quarter. Another analysis by the firm found Cook to have the highest value in vested stock options among Silicon Valley executives during the first quarter.

Last November, Apple granted six of its senior vice presidents 150,000 shares each, with half vesting in June 2013 and the second half in March 2016. Cook was awarded a million restricted shares last August for his new role as CEO. Half of the stock units will vest in 2016 and the second half will vest in 2021.

Apple announced a plan last week to repurchase $10 billion of its shares over three years. The program, which launches in fiscal 2013, is meant to offset the impact of employee equity grants and stock purchase programs.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It must be nice to log into your trading account and see that you have hundreds of thousands of shares of AAPL.

It makes my rather pathetic holdings in AAPL seem like a big joke.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Congrats! Well deserved

2016 is going to come fast. My first hope is that money is not a primary motivator for this group - that it is all about building the world's best products. That above everything

My second hope is that Apple is aggressively identifying and training the next leadership team

I feel pretty confident on both
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Well done!
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Hmmm...the head cheeses are selling their stock? What do these guys know that the average Joe the Plumber doesn't k now?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Hmmm...the head cheeses are selling their stock? What do these guys know that the average Joe the Plumber doesn't k now?

Don't worry, they just need some cash to buy a nice easter bunny.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

.... Cook, Oppenheimer and Schiller each had set up their trades through a Rule 10b5-1 trading plan that schedules transactions in advance to protect executives from allegations of insider trading....

Quote:

• Reply 7 of 24
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cook received the largest award with a total of 200,000 shares. 93,360 of the shares were set aside to pay taxes on the award.

That seems too high.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

That portfolio diversification is a good thing.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Yawn... Oh hmm guess I can buy the new cruise ship so I can go on vacation. Maybe I will invite Congress and the Senate on the cruise for spring break. Wow what a concept.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    So what. I don't see any news here.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Both Mansfield and Forstall did not appear to have automatically traded their vested shares, though SEC forms showed that they had surrendered the shares needed to pay taxes on their awards. Apple SVP Jonathan Ive presumably also received more than $50 million in vested stock, but the company is not required to file SEC forms for the awards because of his position.

Why would Forstall and Mansfield have to report their stock transactions but not Ive? They're all SVP's. Just curious what defines this.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    That was why AAPL was trying to drop when dows is up +100 on March 26th... I was scared and wanted to sell my AAPL . But luckily I didn't.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    I say these guys are worth every penny although I do not agree with all their decisions.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    I'm jealous.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Apple is doomed.? (Must be why AAPL is up $3.50 in per-market trading, following this news. /s)

PS: Not sure that Joe the Plumber is a knowledge benchmark of any kind.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    ... in September 2008 ... shares of Apple stood at $105.26. By close of play yesterday they stood at 614.48 - a 583% increase.

Wow!!
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

... in September 2008 ... shares of Apple stood at $105.26. By close of play yesterday they stood at 614.48 - a 583% increase.

Wow!!

483%

Still pretty good.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

The only thing we can be sure of is that they know wha they are going to do with the cash that they have been waiting for all these years.

insiders buying stock might give us valuable information. Insiders selling tells us nothing for sure.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Hell, they need the coin just to be able to afford to live in the bay area. The craphole I grew up in near Stanford is worth $1.2m - and it's a 1500-sq-ft shack on a tiny lot that looks like it's been neglected since the 70's. A low 6-figure income is the poverty line anywhere near Silicon Valley nowadays. And I'm only slightly exaggerating.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

483%

Still pretty good.

A return of about 65% per year, compounded. Not too bad compared to buying a CD down at your local bank.