Loud startup chime - anyone have a fix?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Calling all AI tech-heads...

OK, so I am getting sick and tired of having to turn the volume of my powermac (new 867 DP) down for the startup, and then having to increase it to work (and then forgetting that I have done so and the chime then blowing out my bedroom windows on re-boot). The ambient system volume must be only half of the startup chime (especially annoying for iTunes etc).

Is there any way to equalise the volume to a general level? I have had a look at the BootX code, but obviously not being a programmer, cannot make head nor tail of it. Is it this code that affects the speaker volume for the chime as well as the boot screen etc?

I have had a look around on versiontracker etc, but any fixes for the system (OS X 10.2 btw) only affect the whole system volume and not just the startup. Obviously it would be nice for Apple to have given an option in the System Preferences for this, but no.

Please...

...can anyone help me?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    just wait til 10.2.1, i'll get fixed then
  • Reply 2 of 14
    In MacOS 9 I would have done it this way:

In system start up folder include an AppleScript that sets the sound volume to the level you like.

In the system shutdown folder include an AppleScript that sets the volume very low.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a shutdown item in OSX. Is there?

Hope this helps...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Try going into the Sound panel in System Prefs and reduce the "Sound Effects" Alert volume. Might work?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I'v seen a shutdown folder somewhere in the system folder.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    OK thanks for the idea, I had a look for a shutdown items earlier in my attempt, but I guess it may be somewhere in the library. I'll have another look tonight. Applescript will be something simple like 'set vol=2' or something, yes?

I'll keep you posted...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    And as Defiant said, I'll maybe download 10.2.1 first to see if that helps any.

(Didn't realise it would be out so quick...)
  • Reply 7 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveLee:

<strong>(Didn't realise it would be out so quick...)</strong><hr></blockquote>

me neither..
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Reset the PRAM:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Press the power button to turn the computer on. You will hear the computer's startup sound.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

This should take care of the problem.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    thank you, dygysy I completely forgot that option
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Don't mention it, I was just in Zurich last week, just had to post and tell you that your country is gorgeous!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I tried resetting PRAM when my ears bled the first time , but it didn't seem to help. I'll give tham all another try though.

Thanks guys.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by dygysy:

<strong>Don't mention it, I was just in Zurich last week, just had to post and tell you that your country is gorgeous!</strong><hr></blockquote>

arigato

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveLee:

<strong>I tried resetting PRAM when my ears bled the first time , but it didn't seem to help. I'll give tham all another try though.

Thanks guys.</strong><hr></blockquote>

btw, I heard that you have to hold until you heard it four times...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Fixed.

I had to hold PRAM keystrokes for two chimes, the first was loud (as before), but the second was quieter (weird). The chime is still fairly loud compared to rest of the system, but is more tolerable than before.

Cheers all.