2008 MacBook Pro - Dead?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I have an early 2008 15" MacBook Pro (A1260) that won't boot. I've taken it into the Apple Store, and they did some tests (PRAM and SMC reset?), and then told me that I had a faulty logic board. They told me that for a fixed price (approximately $300), I could send it off, and if anything else needed to be replaced, there would be no additional cost. This sounds like a pretty good deal, and I will probably go this route. But before I do, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about anything else that might be the likely cause of the problems, and if these things might be less expensive to fix.

Thanks for any suggestions or other info.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I had a similar problem a couple of years back with a 2006 MBP. It was related to the video card/chip....something like that. Anyway, I spent the $300 and 5 days after dropping it off at my Apple store, I had it back. I thought it was a great deal.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

$300 is a lot cheaper than buying a new MacBook Pro. So as long as this MacBook Pro does what you want then its a pretty good deal. 

How far does it get in the boot process? A little more information would be helpful.

• Reply 3 of 3
    schemulaschemula Posts: 6member

The 2008 models had a known defective nVidia video card. It was a material defect.

A lot of them fail. Almost a when, not if situation. The video card is soldered to the logic board. When the video card goes, it is the same as a dead logic board.

Only concern is that it is likely that the new logic board will also contain a defective nVidia video card, but if you get ~4 years out of it, that may be enough.

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/08/10/11/1518246/apple-admits-nvidia-gpu-defect-in-some-macbook-pros