Adobe Photoshop CS6 beta reaches 500K downloads in less than a week

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Adobe's free beta of Photoshop CS6 has gotten off to a strong start, with more than a half-million downloads tallied in less than one week.

Adobe announced on Wednesday that it has been "blown away" by user response to the free beta. Its public release last week was a different approach for Adobe, which typically does not provide an advance preview of future Photoshop releases.

The beta is available for both Mac and Windows from Adobe Labs, and users are encouraged to provide feedback to the product team during the trial run. The software is available in both English and Japanese.

Highlights of Photoshop CS6 include a new content-aware patch, and what Adobe has touted as "blazingly fast performance." In addition, it will feature a new and reengineered design tools and is powered by the new Adobe Mercury Graphics Engine, promising "near-instant results" from editing tools."

AppleInsider first revealed the changes in Photoshop CS6 last October, including its new Aperture-like dark background user interface, and new 3D capabilities.

It was also highlighted this week that Photoshop CS6 has dropped support for older 32-bit Macs. That means older Macs based on Intel Core Duo processors running legacy 32-bit versions of OS X will not be able to use the latest version of Photoshop.

The change is unsurprising, as Apple also does not support 32-bit code in hardware or software. But it is noteworthy as Photoshop CS6 on Windows will still run in 32-bit versions of Microsoft's operating system, including Windows XP.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Not surprising. It is free after all. I'm assuming that legitimate Photoshop users number in the millions (I'm being conservative) so it stands to reason that a sizable number of those users will grab the free public beta.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    They better not charge a dime more than to upgrade from CS5. It ain't fair but its a fact! I can live with CS3 and Pixelator, Adobe... Savvy?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

They better not charge a dime more than to upgrade from CS5. It ain't fair but its a fact! I can live with CS3 and Pixelator, Adobe... Savvy?

Just curious:

Why do you need Pixelmator if you have Photoshop CS3?

Does it do something that Photoshop can't do?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Not surprising. It is free after all. I'm assuming that legitimate Photoshop users number in the millions (I'm being conservative) so it stands to reason that a sizable number of those users will grab the free public beta.

I never download betas of major products that I already have the latest version of. I certainly don't want it on my professional machines and risk it making my real version wonky or should I need to delete the beta, having it somehow break the real version. I would suspect the largest group of beta downloaders are not the hard working pros, perhaps a few elite pros, but mostly just amatuers looking for a freebee.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    I almost hate to admit this but I am really enjoying the new version (beta) of Photoshop aside from the dark interface which is easy enough to change, I am impressed with what appear to me as a snappy program. Some nice intuitive changes have been made to some of the tools. I usually buy every other version of PS this one I am looking forward to getting. I just hope I can outright purchased PS and not have to subscribe to lame service the Adobe is pushing.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I just hope I can outright purchased PS and not have to subscribe to lame service the Adobe is pushing.

I think they will continue to offer it as purchased. There is a big difference in price between upgrade and subscribe. Subscribe is designed mostly for people who can't afford the full price new version. Another situation where subscriptions makes sense is if you get a huge project and need to hire a bunch of freelancers but only for a couple months.

The thing that many people complain about is the suite versions. Once you get locked into the suite upgrade scenario you end up paying for applications you may never need, but switching back to purchasing separate apps, you lose your upgrade eligibility.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Hi,

asking as a non-pro. Does the beta have an expiration date? Or will it just work (with whatever shortcomings it may have)?

Thanks,

Alfons
  • Reply 8 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuAlfons View Post

asking as a non-pro. Does the beta have an expiration date? Or will it just work (with whatever shortcomings it may have)?

It has no usability limitations. It expires in early 2013, I think.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I believe Adobe is planing on shipping the upgrades to PS and the other CS products in the first half of this year. My guess is late May 2012 with the beta expiring soon after.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Does it require "activation" ?

FWIW, I never (and will never) buy any software that requires activation or any type of phoning home to operate. Explicit upgrade downloads initiated by me are acceptable as long as they can be downloaded outside the application itself (i.e. no user-profiling).
  • Reply 11 of 27
    ecphoecpho Posts: 28member
    it expires this spring:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/963473
  • Reply 12 of 27
    as a working retoucher I can say - CS6 is very solid. No issues working concurrently with CS5. Only thing now all psd's default to open in CS6. Which happened when CS5 was released too.

If you have any issues there is always the C6 uninstaller in the utilities folder.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Hopefully those at Adobe "blown away" by all the free downloads realize most of those will never become paid customers.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecpho View Post

as a working retoucher I can say - CS6 is very solid. No issues working concurrently with CS5. Only thing now all psd's default to open in CS6. Which happened when CS5 was released too.

If you have any issues there is always the C6 uninstaller in the utilities folder.

Can PS CS5 still open CS6 psd files?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    of course - the psd is the same

just the default application to open it changes.

but if CS5 is open already then psd's should open in CS5

here are some places read about this:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4284197#4284197

and known issues:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4211025#4211025
  • Reply 16 of 27
    The beta is quite nice and I got even more out of it by watching several of the "my favorite features" videos on the net.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Hopefully those at Adobe "blown away" by all the free downloads realize most of those will never become paid customers.

Sure, of course a percentage of free beta dlers are not gonna buy, thats the point, its a free test drive for the new customers and a preview of things to come for long time users who can give educated real world feedback.

Ppl who have never used photoshop may download this and go buy essencials, or maybe, just maybe, someone with a couple grand in a nice Pro-Sumer SLR camera, flash cards, lenses and stuff as a hobby may see some value in the full PS CS 6 application and grab it...

I never understand all the complaints about PS being so expensive. As far as Pro applications go, PS is not really a high cost item - look at Avid, Auto Cad, Solid Works, Maya, or anything else in the media creation space that is considered best of breed -- they all cost a shit ton more than even PS Extended. Heck, Final Cut Studio was like $1400 before they made it a toy last year.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Does it require "activation" ?

Of course it does. It's an Adobe product.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    mkunertmkunert Posts: 11member
    Half the people I know who downloaded the beta, couldn't get it to install and gave up.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Just curious:

Why do you need Pixelmator if you have Photoshop CS3?

Does it do something that Photoshop can't do?

No, PS is far more feature rich than Pixelmator. Pixelmator had a far better UI, OTOH, and is a pleasure to use compared to CS3.

CS6 UI reminds me of Light Room 4 which pales in comparison with Aperture. I'm sure you're aware Apple charges $79 for Aperture. I don't think Adobe got the memo with their bloated thou$and $ software suites and dingy interface.