Apple, Sony sued over data vending patent infringement

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

An inventor is suing Apple and Sony claiming that the two companies' respective online media distribution systems infringe on a data vending patent issued in 2004.

Two separate lawsuits filed in California on Tuesday allege that Apple's iTunes and Sony's Playstation Network both use so-called data vending technology, or a broad system that lets users store and manage digital content like music, video and software on electronic devices.

Intellectual property attorneys from The Lanier Law Firm are representing inventor Benjamin Grobler who was issued U.S. Patent No. 6,799,084 describing a system in which digital data is distributed to an electronic devices called a "data depot" for storage and management. The IP also calls for a remote database that maintains ownership and user records.

"Tech giants can't just take an inventor's work and use it as their own," said attorney Chistopher Banys, head of the nationwide property practice at Lanier. "This lawsuit represents our client's effort to bring some accountability to the system."

From the invention's summary:

Quote:

a data depot for storing one or more data type selected from the group comprising digitised or analogue music, video, games, information, and computer programs;

a data dispensing device in communication with the data depot;

a uniquely identifiable recordable data carrier configured for recording data from the data dispensing device; and

a database for keeping a record of the data recorded by a user onto said data carrier, at least a part of which database is stored remotely from said data carrier.

Grobler contends that the patent was sought to reconcile copyright royalty losses due to the unauthorized use of data, usually in the form of ripped CDs or other copied media. The IP does not cover sales of media, stating: "This system, however, does not address the end user's ownership of digitised data nor the license held by the end user of the digitised data as the system is supplier orientated and not end user orientated. There is thus little incentive for a user to accept the system as a sole unified information sales system."

Illustration of the '084 patent outlining a data depot and distribution system. | Source: USPTO

The '084 patent was filed for in January 2001, three weeks after Apple first launched iTunes and ten months before the introduction of the iPod. Since its debut, the Cupertino, Calif., company's all-encompassing system has become near ubiquitous and its name is synonymous with online media distribution.

As for Grobler's claims against Sony, the filing's issuance pre-dates the launch of Sony's Playstation Network by over two years.

Grobler is not mentioned as the inventor in any outstanding patent filings, nor is he the holder of any other issued U.S. patents.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Tech giants can't just take an inventor's work and use it as their own," said attorney Chistopher Banys, head of the nationwide property practice at Lanier. "This lawsuit represents our client's effort to bring some accountability to the system."

It is good to see some justice finally being done.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I wonder if Grobler has licensed his invention to anyone else or tried to sell the technology as a product to anyone wanting to build a "data depot"? From the limited information in this article it looks more like Grobler invented wording that would trick the patent office, rather than a real non-obvious concept.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    That patent application is literally just a flow chart.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

No doubt, the idea of a cache is brilliant! I mean, brilliant because they attached the words 'data depot' and 'multimedia', not because it's new.

Justice would be patent system reform, though since Apple is playing by the current rules and not pushing for meaningful reform either, I guess you can call it justice? I'd just call it crap for anyone who isn't a huge company.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

No doubt, the idea of a cache is brilliant! I mean, brilliant because they attached the words 'data depot' and 'multimedia', not because it's new.

Justice would be patent system reform, though since Apple is playing by the current rules and not pushing for meaningful reform either, I guess you can call it justice? I'd just call it crap for anyone who isn't a huge company.

In order to accomplish reform, you have to get in bed with the people who's influence matters, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the reform, doesn't it? Besides, Apple's never been known to be one to jump in bed with government types, so it isn't surprising that they aren't pushing as hard as they probably should be.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Does he have one of these for digital or analog(ue) video with audio in the same package? Clearly Apple is screwed. Sony too.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Honestly I think it's a load of crap suing someone for abuse of IP a whole 8 years after the fact. Even if the IP is valid, this guy is obviously coming out of the woodwork now because Apple/Sony are successful, not because he is trying to protect anything.

IMHO if you don't sue within the first 2-3 years of someone ripping off your IP, then you deserve to lose it.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I'm tired of these "Napkin Scribblers" trying to suck money out of successful companies....this guy did nothing...the best he should get is Apple's attorneys fees for wasting my tax dollars in a courtroom. Is there any kind of countersuit for Apple to protect themselves from these idiots?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Honestly I think it's a load of crap suing someone for abuse of IP a whole 8 years after the fact. Even if the IP is valid, this guy is obviously coming out of the woodwork now because Apple/Sony are successful, not because he is trying to protect anything.

IMHO if you don't sue within the first 2-3 years of someone ripping off your IP, then you deserve to lose it.

I'm not sure of a statute of limitations on such a thing. If there is one, that is what they'd have to go by. Arbitrary periods of time are pretty meaningless, especially when you don't know if negotiations preceded this filing. Apple and Sony have been successful for years. Both had money 8 years ago. There was no need to wait out anything for such a reason. As always, you don't really have enough information from the article alone to make such an assessment.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

I'm tired of these "Napkin Scribblers" trying to suck money out of successful companies....this guy did nothing...the best he should get is Apple's attorneys fees for wasting my tax dollars in a courtroom. Is there any kind of countersuit for Apple to protect themselves from these idiots?

The problem with the napkin scribbling is that big companies are abusing the same system. Swipe to unlock? Really? And the fact that locks or other items (one-click shopping = any place that ever kept your information on file for billing, for example) like that exist in the real world isn't prior art?

It's this "name something people already do - but add 'computer'" - crap that's gift that just keeps on giving.

(There are legitimate patents that take actual research, but there seem to be way too many that are obvious to anyone in the industry but somehow not to patent examiners. :/ Not to mention that the lifespan is way too long for software patents.)
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mdfetofmdfetof Posts: 12member
    The problem is the patent office issues patents for ideas that are manifestly not innovative. I mean "store files centrally and keep a database of who owns them and should get paid for them?" That''s accounting 101!!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    bsgincbsginc Posts: 78member
    Grobler has one problem. Just one. Prior art. It's so obvious that I'm surprised mo one has noted it yet. There is prior art. He claims Apple (and Sony) are making money off of his work yet there is very likely to be prior existing art. Apple's iTunes was released 3 weeks before he filed for his patent. And, even though there was no iPod at the time iTunes did allow for purchase and storage of music on electronic devices called computers.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

There are a multitude of reasons why the suit could be happening now. Possibilities include the recent breakdown of negotiations. Or maybe recent access to funding sufficient for a fight with two huge, nasty megacorporations? Maybe a family member was terminally ill and has since passed? A religious epiphany?

Your reason why the guy is doing it now makes little sense, and is based upon nothing. There are a multitude of possible reasons.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Somebody needs add DEC to that lawsuit and send it back in time....

A central digital device storing information for distribution? Give me a break.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Honestly I think it's a load of crap suing someone for abuse of IP a whole 8 years after the fact. .

Agreed. I feel like the fact that the 'owner' didn't bother to do anything after years of violations should factor into whether they get any damages out of it. So like the courts might say it should have been licensed and now Apple etc have to but he can't have any back pay cause he ignored it for so long

that said, I suspect he'll lose on the grounds that there doesn't seem to be any real tech in his patent and Apple etc can say they created a new item out of his IP but actually creating tech to run this concept. And/or Apple will dig up internal prior art that shows they were doing some kind of online purchasing of anything before he filed his patent and claim they just went the logical step in applying that realm to music etc.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bsginc View Post

Apple's iTunes was released 3 weeks before he filed for his patent. And, even though there was no iPod at the time iTunes did allow for purchase and storage of music on electronic devices called computers.

That was just the iTunes app as bought from SoundJam. They didn't start selling music online for 2 more years.

That said, sure they might have been working on it back in 2001 and filed patents for that goal way back then.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

The problem with the napkin scribbling is that big companies are abusing the same system. Swipe to unlock? Really? And the fact that locks or other items (one-click shopping = any place that ever kept your information on file for billing, for example) like that exist in the real world isn't prior art?

It's this "name something people already do - but add 'computer'" - crap that's gift that just keeps on giving.

(There are legitimate patents that take actual research, but there seem to be way too many that are obvious to anyone in the industry but somehow not to patent examiners. :/ Not to mention that the lifespan is way too long for software patents.)

Or in Apples case, it is often

"name something people already do or that is published in trade journals - but change 'computer' to 'mobile device' " - crap that's gift that just keeps on giving.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Internet Shopping Vs. Mall Shopping

There are numerous choices nowadays with regards to shopping. You will find a variety of factors for carrying out every single, but a lot of people actually do both. The benefits and disadvantages of each are worth contemplating, as this can make a distinction in how an individual decides to shop. With all the vacation seasons, particularly, men and women are finding that they can do their shopping within a number of ways. Whilst 1 way is not right along with the other incorrect, it's very good to know that you have some options whenever you do your shopping.

Shopping on the net is really a fairly new practice. Web shopping has grow to be popular, particularly now that many people have their very own computer systems and discover this kind of shopping to be convenient. You will find some tricks to on the web shopping including getting an e mail account, understanding how you can look for sale items, owning a credit or louis vuitton australia debit card, and realizing how to locate specifically what you will be looking for on the merchant's web site.

Mall shopping will not need a pc at all. This sort of shopping may be the one particular that most people are acquainted with and have accomplished for several years. While net shopping requires personal computer understanding, mall shopping doesn't. Mall shopping will permit you to purchase things within a range of techniques such as check, cash, credit or debit card. Sales are effortlessly visible and it christian louboutin canada is possible to ask a sales associate for answers to any queries you could have.

Internet shopping offers the benefit of obtaining items at bargain costs. Using a simple search, you'll find items at tremendous rates. Amazon, eBay as well as other discount web sites carry significant quantities of merchandise that pass herve leger dress their savings on to buyers. Some websites will even do comparison shopping for you.

You will find a couple of benefits that mall shopping has over world wide web shopping. A single could be the fact that you can actually see and touch the items inside the retailers. Another excellent advantage may be the truth that mall shopping is a social expertise. Shopping in the mall is typically accomplished with pals and household and is viewed by many as a time of relaxation and enjoyment.

Alternatively, net shopping also has its own benefits. Even though you can't touch the items that happen to be online, you will find frequently a lot of much more options than you'd have inside a retail retailer. Net shopping makes it possible for you to draw from the entire inventory of warehouses instead of what a nearby retailer has to provide.

Net shopping will be the best option for those that are sick or disabled. With no gucci uk the potential to simply get about, it is possible to shop on the web at any time, in any place. Internet shopping convenience will allow you to shop inside the comfort of your personal house with no requiring you to obtain dressed, drive your vehicle or repair your hair. Irrespective of the weather, you are able to shop and find the items that you need very easily and swiftly.

As technology continues to develop, a lot more men and women will almost certainly take pleasure in world wide web shopping. Mall shopping will most likely in no way be outdated as a result of its popularity. The nicest thing of all, nevertheless, is knowing which you have different options. If you're sick, your automobile is gucci outlet broken down or the climate is poor, you'll be able to christian louboutin australia simply shop on the internet. Nevertheless, should you want a social activity with friends, you will get pleasure from the mall shopping. Both methods of shopping are fun, practical and supply for the requirements of those wanting to shop.

------

Should you be thinking about package forwarding, you have to check out our site. We've US forwarding service, as well as numerous other services for those needing to forward mail or packages. Check out us right now for far more data!

Read More:

http://www.music-fa7.in/forum/member...0568-zidskeeri

http://thanhnamphuong.com.vn/forum/m...-LoxLeprextlip

http://www.alrandi.net/vb/member.php?u=20354

http://keyhotel.altervista.org/membe...ofile&uid=2112

http://afrilinkng.com/index.php?action=profile;u=9943

http://www.sciencedata.cn/bbs/member.php?u=28243
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Yeah, there's "justice" in trying to use a bogus patent to milk someone else for cash - based on <their> work, not yours. There's "justice" in trying to make money on the sweat of someone elses brow ... right.

Why "bogus" you ask? Because the patent claims "invention" of a methodology that existed and was already in public use by business(es) several years before the patent was even <applied> for.

Prior Art = Patent Fail

Bad troll is bad.