Half of all American households own an Apple product

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

A recently-conducted survey found that there is an Apple product in over 55 million U.S. homes, and one-in-ten households that do not fall into that category plan to make a purchase in the next year.

According to CNBC's All-America Economic survey, conducted by pollster Bill McInturff in conjunction with Hart Research Associates, the iPhone maker's products have a unique momentum as the average Apple-owning home has three such devices. The March 19 to 22 poll consisted of answers from 836 Americans and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.4 percent.

“It's a fantastic business model — the more of our products you own, the more likely you are to buy more,” said Jay Campbell, a vice president at Hart Research. “Planned obsolescence has always been a part of the technology industries sales model, but Apple has taken it to a whole new level.”

Unsurprisingly, the most saturated Apple demographic makes over $75,000 a year, with 77 percent of these higher income buyers owning at least one device. On average, high-earners own an average of three Apple products. This is contrasted by a 28 percent ownership rate for people earning $30,000 or less.

Some 63 percent of survey respondents between the ages of 18 and 34 said they were Apple users, which mirrored the answers of 35-to-49-year-olds. Ownership fell off moving further up the scale, with only half of 50-to-64-year-olds and 26 percent of those aged 65-and-up using a product made by the Cupertino, Calif., company.

Source: CNBC

Apple devices seem to be popular with children as over 61 percent of households with kids own at least one, which is 13 percent more than homes without 17-and-under family members.

Finally, the products have a bi-coastal appeal, though west-coasters have a significantly higher adoption rate with 57 percent of households counting themselves as users compared to an average 47 to 51 percent for the rest of the country.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Considering they own 70% of the MP3 market, that s not too surprising. I'd wonder at what frequency do they replace those Apple products.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    1 x iMac (2008)

1 x iPod (2003)

1 x iPhone 3G

3 x iPhone 4S

1 x MacBook Pro (2008)

That's my contribution for the UK stats (whatever that might be)
  • Reply 3 of 30
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Given that absolute power corrupts absolutely, no sane person would regard this as good news.

Big = Bad.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    According to the naysayers, this is not a result of people actually liking Apple products. Instead, it's attributed to Apple's "marketing machine," which apparently has the capability of breaking into your house and placing its products there. And somehow, while illegally in your house, it takes your money as well. You get a receipt, of course.

Amazing.

Or, Apple products are good. Most other products suck ass.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Is this why it seems to be popular to hate Apple? I'm beginning to wish Apple was still a company that made superior products but was still the underdog. Just last week, I had to listen to a co-worker complain about how difficult his wife's iPhone is to use. Wow. iPhone difficult to use? I wonder what he'd think of an Android phone.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Given that absolute power corrupts absolutely, no sane person would regard this as good news.

Big = Bad.

So incredibly well designed products, with great user experiences, and good marketing lead to high market penetration. How is this absolute power

I see this as good news - its a success story, unless I'm insane..
  • Reply 7 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

According to the naysayers, this is not a result of people actually liking Apple products. Instead, it's attributed to Apple's "marketing machine," which apparently has the capability of breaking into your house and placing its products there. And somehow, while illegally in your house, it takes your money as well. You get a receipt, of course.

Amazing.

Right. According to the trolls, basement nerds, and iHaters something like half of America are now nothing more than "iSheep" who will buy anything "crApple" puts out. Talk about a really serious RDF problem, these guys have one in spades. And it ain't working either.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Big = Bad.

All one has to do is take a look at your posting history on AI to realize news like this must drive you absolutely up the wall. The constant drivel of your anti-Apple sentiments outs you as one of those types who frequents user centric forums like AI just so you can fling poo at the wall.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member
    Quote:

Big = Bad.

Go away.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    easy288easy288 Posts: 80member
    There are plenty of poor households in the US. Scratch them out, they can't afford to buy anything, much less Apple products.

Better bet is for Apple to push more devices into existing households.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    And I hope that Steve Jobs is sitting on a cloud, finger poised above his heavenly "So Suck It" button.

Nay-sayers, please provide rationale as to why they shouldn't be doing this well.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Big = Bad.

Ergo small is beautiful, like viruses, bacteria, fungus spores and not forgetting radioactive ions!

bryannh,

I just read through some of your posts. They are really sad, cynical and disparaging, mostly one-liners.

Get a Life: Look at the bright side, See a half full bottle - drink it, enjoy it!
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?It's a fantastic business model ? the more of our products you own, the more likely you are to buy more,? said Jay Campbell, a vice president at Hart Research. ?Planned obsolescence has always been a part of the technology industries sales model, but Apple has taken it to a whole new level.?

That is one of the main ingredients to Apple's success. They synergy between products adds value to all the existing products with every new purchase.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Hmmm.... I'd like to see a finer breakdown: how about 25 (or some such number; I stopped counting) or more?

Am I in the 1%?
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?It's a fantastic business model ? the more of our products you own, the more likely you are to buy more,? said Jay Campbell, a vice president at Hart Research. ?Planned obsolescence has always been a part of the technology industries sales model, but Apple has taken it to a whole new level.?

That is one of the main ingredients to Apple's success. They synergy between products adds value to all the existing products with every new purchase.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Exactly. An iPhone is great. An iPhone with AirPlay to an Apple TV is pretty cool. iCloud on that iPhone is cool. That same iCloud (and all the same content) automatically on a brand new iPad is amazing. A new Mac, which also talks to iCloud, can sync the iPhone and iPad, keep everything in sync and relatively safe, can also talk to the Apple TV, and can automatically do a wireless physical backup to a Time Capsule that can be used to set up a second Mac with the exact same settings, apps, content, etc. really opens the eyes to Apple's vision. Everything in the house simply talks to each other, knows what to do, and lets you live your life.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I've probably spent around $200K on Apple gear over the years counting both business and home and I'm in the market for several more purchases right now but I'm waiting for the new iMac, Mac Pro, MBP and iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Considering they own 70% of the MP3 market, that s not too surprising. I'd wonder at what frequency do they replace those Apple products.

The MP3 player market is all but dead. It is shrinking, as people use their cell phones for that purpose.

The dedicated MP3 player is going the way of the cheap, dedicated camera. Both are being rapidly replaced by cellphones.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    These results rely on the answers of one person per household. I work with school children and I've seen many iPod Nano clones (the previous generation). I've also seen several other MP3 players. The children all call them iPods no matter the brand. This makes me wonder if parents who have bought or seen their children with MP3 players are just assuming that their child's device is made by Apple when it really isn't. If they were asked if anyone in their family had an iPod the answer might have been yes even if the device was an MP3 player from another company.

Owning an Apple computer is quite different. I'm sure people who said one of those was in their household wouldn't mistake a Dell computer for an Apple computer.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Amazing.

There are times I wish that my thinking could be as simple as this. Only two possibilities. Pick one.

Black or white. All or nothing.

And to be completely confident that my conclusion is correct, instead of assigning tentative probabilities to conclusions, and searching out further information which might tend to bolster it or make it somewhat less likely.

The world would be much easier if there was only one reason for each fact. And it would be simpler still if I could just accept my first conclusion, with no modifications either necessary or even possible. Going to extremes, with everything either perfect or "suck ass".

what a simple and beautiful way to go through life.