Google earns 80% of its mobile revenue from iOS, just 20% from Android

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

500 Mil? Not much money? You do realize just because a company does not make as much money as Apple they are no considered failures? A profit is a profit, people are employed, money is coming in. Sounds pretty good. Unless of course the whole world can be run on iPods, iPhones, iPads and Mac's???? Hard to ride my iPad to work, eat my Mac for lunch.

12.5 billion-- the price Google paid for Motorola-- now that's a lot of money.
  • Reply 62 of 88
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hello? Anybody home?

What are you blabbering on about?

I take it you didnt visit that site
  • Reply 63 of 88
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you ever run out of material or just simply don't feel up to trolling at the moment, bookmark this page as a resource. The MG Siegler version would fit right in with a post like this with some readers not even noticing you didn't author it yourself. It's a real time-saver:

http://trollemipsum.appspot.com/?typ...&length=screed

EDIT: On second thought I'll give you more credit than that. Your post was more of a "Mad as Hell" Gruber. My bad.

Of course you could always click over to the Android version and pretty much be done with 90% of the "stupid fanboys let me explain it to you" stuff we get here. But that wouldn't be any fun, since, um, this is an Apple centric site and all.

Do you think anyone on an Android centric site ever recommends "how to be an Android troll" to their fellow posters? Probably not, because that would be so fucked up.
  • Reply 64 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

I take it you didnt visit that site

Oh, I did. Great site. I just could not reconcile his second para with his first.

Must be slow today....
  • Reply 65 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Now that's the epitome of irony.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I'll think about what you've said, but I'd also like to add some thoughts. In 2008 Apple sold ~12million iPhones. If Android activations are ~850k devices/day and increasing all of those iPhone sales are negated in ~15 days (not including the delta with iPhone sales). Plus all of those Android devices are better equipped for generating ad revenue than an iPhone in 2008.

Yes, as you rightly point out LucianA's logic is utterly absurd. Here's another example". He says:

"Even now there are 300 million Android devices and about 350 million iOS devices, but since Android is growing about twice as fast, it should surpass it soon. Same for the apps."

Therefore there are only 50m more iOS devices than Android or 16.7% more.

* But According to Google's own testimony to Congress, two thirds of Google mobile searches come from iOS devices.

* According to the article, Apple's revenue from Apps is $4.9 billion: that's more than 14.5 times Android's revenue of just $0.34 billion.

Evidence is mounting that the countless billions of dollars that Google have wasted in creating Android and in the process betraying Steve Jobs' trust and alienating Apple and misleading consumers with its dysfunctional, fragmented copy-cat rip-off of iOS, will come to be recognised as one of the greatest mistakes in corporate history.

This article may signal time to short Google.

As our dear, departed friend Slappy might say

"Google and Android are doomed....DOOMED I say"
  • Reply 67 of 88
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

500 Mil? Not much money? You do realize just because a company does not make as much money as Apple they are no considered failures? A profit is a profit, people are employed, money is coming in. Sounds pretty good. Unless of course the whole world can be run on iPods, iPhones, iPads and Mac's???? Hard to ride my iPad to work, eat my Mac for lunch.

That's nonsense.

$500 M was REVENUE, not profit. They have to pay for all the costs of operating their ad network. They have to pay for Android development. They have to pay for any legal expenses. And they paid $12,500 M for Motorola mobility.

It's not clear that they made any money at all - and even if they did, it's not clear that $12,500 M for MM was a good investment.
  • Reply 68 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Of course you could always click over to the Android version and pretty much be done with 90% of the "stupid fanboys let me explain it to you" stuff we get here. But that wouldn't be any fun, since, um, this is an Apple centric site and all.

Do you think anyone on an Android centric site ever recommends "how to be an Android troll" to their fellow posters? Probably not, because that would be so fucked up.

I think that's where I saw the original link. It was mentioned in an article on an Android site and linked to the Android troll helper. Ya gotta have a sense of humor sometimes or just make yourself nuts.
  • Reply 69 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh, I did. Great site. I just could not reconcile his second para with his first.

Must be slow today....

I suppose. His post wasn't profane, unlike the Siegler version. His was closer to a mad Gruber IMO, thus the EDIT comments.
  • Reply 70 of 88
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Once Siri is out of beta, why would anyone use google in safari to search for something?

They will still continue to use Google through Siri as they do know.

Siri is not a search engine., It is a user interface.

What do you think Siri uses as a search engine? Google (though it also uses Yahoo! & Bing)
  • Reply 71 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

They will still continue to use Google through Siri as they do know.

Siri is not a search engine., It is a user interface.

What do you think Siri uses as a search engine? Google (though it also uses Yahoo! & Bing)

When Siri searches Google it does so anonymously, not giving any user data or leaving cookies, so Google is unable to monetize the user information with advertisers.

This represents a serious long term danger for Google.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

When Siri searches Google it does so anonymously, not giving any user data or leaving cookies, so Google is unable to monetize the user information with advertisers.

This represents a serious long term danger for Google.

What services does Siri use Google for? I'm aware of Maps but I can't think of anything else. Most of it seems to rely on Wlofram-Alpha, with a distant second by Yelp. If it can't find a result it asks you if you want search Google (assuming you have chosen that search engine in iOS settings) and then it's called in the Safari search window if you press the button.
  • Reply 73 of 88
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Either Google is lying about [misrepresenting] its Android income * or stupid for continuing the Android quest at the risk of alienating Apple and losing income... Or both!

* to minimize penalties

And the $12 billion MMI purchase isn't going to get them to where they want to go...

What we need now is something akin to 'click to flash' for iOS that blocks any Google ad unless the user allows it.
  • Reply 74 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I doubt that. I find it likely that many people buy the iPhone as the "default" purchase. Many people buy because of their friend's recommendation. Many people buy due to the salesman's recommendation. Many buy for many different reasons.

If the iPhone were some sort of unusual choice, you might have a valid point. but when the product is the standard default product for newbies, your conclusion is unsupportable.

That's your comeback to "Everyone buys an iPhone specifically BECAUSE they want an iPhone"????

Weakest...

counterargument...

EVER.

• Reply 75 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What we need now is something akin to 'click to flash' for iOS that blocks any Google ad unless the user allows it.

I selectively block access to Google services with Little Snitch.

"www.google-analytics wants access on TCP port 80"

NOPE!

BLOCK. ALL. FOREVER.

Yay.
  • Reply 76 of 88
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you ever run out of material or just simply don't feel up to trolling at the moment, bookmark this page as a resource. The MG Siegler version would fit right in with a post like this with some readers not even noticing you didn't author it yourself. It's a real time-saver:

http://trollemipsum.appspot.com/?typ...&length=screed

EDIT: On second thought I'll give you more credit than that. Your post was more of a "Mad as Hell" Gruber. My bad.

Pray, do tell, how the hell a fan of Apple products on a Apple-related website is 'trolling'?

Quote:

Or Android users do not rely on their tech to define them.

Quote:

Enough said. If my 14 year old had that attitude I would consider myself a massive failure.

Don't lose hope.

Anybody who had reached the point of procreating yet chosen a username of 'Hellacool' could probably still claim dibs on that massive failure thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

The general belief here is that he is 14.

The general belief among who specifically?

I ask, because it's probably just you...
  • Reply 77 of 88
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neosum View Post

The numbers just don't add up. If there are more android devices running google search, google maps, and everything google that ios devices run, then their revenue should be higher from android than ios. Unless... The majority of android devices aren't running google search, maps, etc..

It is all about costs and what they can write off. Because they produce Android source code, their profit on Android is all their income minus costs.

Apart from bidding on Motorola, they also made many purchases of either small companies or IP portfolios related to Android. This is all written off against Android profits. Their total income from Android could far exceed that from Apple and they could still be making less profit from Android.

This type of long term development is common in large companies, and Google are betting on things being very different in a couple of years time.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Of course, their thinking may be that Apple was likely to cut them out at some point even if they played nice so better to be master of your own destiny, which I can't really fault them for.

I seem to come down on this side of your analysis. I believe Apple wisely realizes it can make a nice income, which is constantly growing, from within its ecosystem. That said, Apple must also realize the importance of its core technologies that the "Apple Experience" require. I'm sure Apple hasn't abandoned the principles that got them where they are today, and Apple is right on schedule for future innovation. Apple will do what Apple does best; producing an integrated hardware and software solution to people who know the technology, can afford it, and already have agreed that the Apple experience is really all they need.
  • Reply 79 of 88
    This is actually a very good article explaining the revenue of Google and Apple's Ad revenue.

Google has by now, must have understood that how critical Apple is to them.

But some of the most popular apps in iTunes store are free in Android Market. Thus Google hardly makes money on them. Advertising is the only channel it earns good.

• Reply 80 of 88
    dtna7dtna7 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I see. I thought iOS users were smarter than that. Why do they click on so many ads?

yea, you just reminded us how smart were Apple haters

so Google earns from users "clicking" on ads