'World's biggest' Apple retail store coming to Dalian, China

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

A mall in Dalian, China, has begun advertising that the "world's biggest" Apple Store is set to open in the near future.

The new store will be located at Parkland Mall in Dalain, which is a "rich Chinese city with a lot of investment coming from Korea and Japan," according to MIC Gadget. Details on Apple's new store, including its exact size, remain unknown, but banners promoting its upcoming opening can now be found at the mall.

Some of the banners put up by Apple actually caused a scuffle, as a competing department store allegedly sent a security team to knock over displays that Apple had set up outside of Parkland Mall. Security guards were hired in an effort to prevent the incident, but the banners were eventually taken down in what was called a "ridiculous" dispute.

A more permanent fixture remains located inside Parkland Mall, which reads: "Apple's World's Biggest Flagship Store will be soon coming to Parkland Mall."

"Parkland Mall is actually one of the largest shopping centers in Dalian, and it is a must-visit shopping center if you are a fan of popular brands," the report said. "On the first floor of the Parkland Mall, where the Apple flagship store will be located, there are stores such as Starbucks, Emporio Armani and Burberry."

The current largest Apple retail store in the world, by square feet, is the Grand Central Terminal store located in New York City. It's a 23,000-square-foot store in a prime location that an estimated 700,000 people pass through every day.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some of the banners put up by Apple actually caused a scuffle, as a competing department store allegedly sent a security team to knock over displays that Apple had set up outside of Parkland Mall. Security guards were hired in an effort to prevent the incident, but the banners were eventually taken down in what was called a "ridiculous" dispute.

That is so unfair. Why does Apple have to put up with this sort of thing?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Great city, but when you go there as guest of honor, they always serve sea urchins (with the tentacles still moving). It was all I could do to get it down each time.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Great city, but when you go there as guest of honor, they always serve sea urchins (with the tentacles still moving). It was all I could do to get it down each time.

I draw the line at eating from something that eats through its butt.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

That is so unfair. Why does Apple have to put up with this sort of thing?

Apple does not rule the world yet.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

You mean they were still alive? I thought Chinese cooked everything. Sounds rather gross. Are you sure you were a guest of honor?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You mean they were still alive? I thought Chinese cooked everything. Sounds rather gross. Are you sure you were a guest of honor?

I doubt if they were alive, but the tentacles still twitch for a while. Dalian is in the very northeastern part of China and has a great deal of Japanese influence, so they are big on very fresh seafood.

And I'm sure I was the guest of honor - they were looking for about $30,000,000 from us.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

They never serve it that way. Sea urchins are cut open, the meat removed and then served raw on a plate.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

I doubt if they were alive, but the tentacles still twitch for a while. Dalian is in the very northeastern part of China and has a great deal of Japanese influence, so they are big on very fresh seafood.

Dalian is close to Korea. That is why historically, northeastern China has influence on Korea.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Dalian is close to Korea. That is why historically, northeastern China has influence on Korea.

There is Korean influence, but there is also Japanese influence. About 100 years ago, this region was occupied by Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalian

There is still a great deal of architecture with Japanese influence and even the local dialect has some Japanese influence (or so I was told - I don't speak Mandarin).
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Or perhaps it's a variant of the old "soy sauce on a squid" trick:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0.../nomnomnom.gif

(The squid in the pic is dead and cooked, believe it or not....)
  • Reply 11 of 21
    kevyulkevyul Posts: 1member
    This "poster" from Apple is nothing but a fake or a "Chinese" marketing stunt for that mall.

Why do I say so? Easy:

If you are working with Apple and their graphic Guideline like I do, NEVER they would allow you to use "vintage" image for your advertisement if you are a 3P, Imagine Apple Retail directly. If you look at that picture, they are using Mac OS X 10.6 Default Wallpapers. Try to find on Apple's website a picture of a MacBook Pro with a 10.6 Wallpaper. You won't find any. ( http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/ )

On their intranet, they are replacing the picture the second a new product goes live.

Second of all: The font. Apple use Myriad Set for their communication Except for the MacBook Air. This is NOT Myriad Set.

And finally, the iPad and iPhone shows random wallpapers. The new iPad use a water-ish background. ( http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ )

So, again, his is not from Apple, but from or Chinese friends who again, rip off Apple's communication!
  • Reply 12 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevyul View Post

This "poster" from Apple is nothing but a fake or a "Chinese" marketing stunt for that mall.

Why do I say so? Easy:

If you are working with Apple and their graphic Guideline like I do, NEVER they would allow you to use "vintage" image for your advertisement if you are a 3P, Imagine Apple Retail directly. If you look at that picture, they are using Mac OS X 10.6 Default Wallpapers. Try to find on Apple's website a picture of a MacBook Pro with a 10.6 Wallpaper. You won't find any. ( http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/ )

On their intranet, they are replacing the picture the second a new product goes live.

Second of all: The font. Apple use Myriad Set for their communication Except for the MacBook Air. This is NOT Myriad Set.

And finally, the iPad and iPhone shows random wallpapers. The new iPad use a water-ish background. ( http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ )

So, again, his is not from Apple, but from or Chinese friends who again, rip off Apple's communication!

Excellent first post. I can't comment on whether it's accurate or not, but you certainly make a great argument.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    More reasons that this is not real.

Apple never pre announces. Apple does not refer to their own stores as "Flagship."

Maybe this is an authorized retailer or a gray market company, but unless it is a screw up by the shopping center, this is not an Apple company store.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Regardless of fake / real / 3p

I wonder when and how big the biggest apple store will be. How big could one get.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

I wonder when and how big the biggest apple store will be. How big could one get.

But with an Apple logo.

They'd probably have to expand their product line a little bit first.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Or perhaps it's a variant of the old "soy sauce on a squid" trick:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0.../nomnomnom.gif

(The squid in the pic is dead and cooked, believe it or not....)

Well, this calls for a redefining of the word "dead," at least when it comes to Urchins.

No way I would eat this thing moving around on the plate, even if I cooked it myself. IMO they obviously forgot to turn on the stove to heat the water to a boil. I'd be suspect to think something was actually dead if it tried to attack me every time I squirted soy sauce on it.

I know the Chinese have the best soy sauce on the planet and they use these types of things for more than just seasoning. Maybe their strength of soy actually brought the thing back to life
  • Reply 17 of 21
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Well, this calls for a redefining of the word "dead," at least when it comes to Urchins.

No way I would eat this thing moving around on the plate, even if I cooked it myself. IMO they obviously forgot to turn on the stove to heat the water to a boil. I'd be suspect to think something was actually dead if it tried to attack me every time I squirted soy sauce on it.

I know the Chinese have the best soy sauce on the planet and they use these types of things for more than just seasoning. Maybe their strength of soy actually brought the thing back to life

Whoa... Soy Sauce Necromancy...

That's kind of cool XD
  • Reply 18 of 21
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Good find. As is standard Asian [clarification: as in business in Asia] practice, either Apple has negotiated a deal and the mall management has gone nuts advertising it, or Apple is nowhere near a deal with the mall and the mall management went nuts advertising it anyway.

Even if the deal was real, indeed there is no way, for a new poster, to have such old images... and no way Apple would advertise like that so far in advance. An Apple Reseller, possibly, but no way Apple official.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevyul View Post

Why do I say so? Easy:

• Reply 19 of 21
    Dalian is in the very northeastern part of China and has a great deal of Japanese influence, so they are big on very fresh seafood.

And I'm sure I was the guest of honor - they were looking for about $30,000,000 from us.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    You need the biggest stores in the most densely populated areas. I don't know if Dailan is more dense than New York or London.