suggestions on a new hard drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What companys make good internal hard drives? I am looking to buy an extra 120 internal drive for a new G4. Does anyone have any suggestions? I hear IBM is good but I really don't know. Could someone please qlarify for me?

[ 09-22-2002: Message edited by: westonm ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Western Digital 1200JB, meaning that 120MB 8MB cache model. I'm using it for a month now, it is good.

Kenneth
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I'll second anything by Western Digital. I've had prepsterously good luck with them, I almostt feel like I'm cheating fate or something.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I've had a western digital and a Maxtor drive crash on me. No problems with IBM.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    **** IBM. **** the ****ing ****ers.

Double **** MadLogix.

45GXP victim here

Ebby what models of the Maxtor and Western Digital failed on you? I am looking to buy a new hard drive this week.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Not sure about the Western Digital drive. (I threw it away) But the Maxtor drive is a DiamondMax D704X-6L. (80Gb, 7200rpm, 2Mb cache)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    nemnem Posts: 45member
    Seagate makes the best drives right now imho...

IBMs break

WD are noisy

Seagate doesn't break and they are absolutely quite.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Ok, so I have

-Western Digital is good

-Western Digital is good

-IBM is good

-IBM licks balls

-Seagate is good

So, am I to infer that every manufacturer has their own problems and that all I need to look for is the fastest drive? Or is there really a company that stands out above the others?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    nemnem Posts: 45member
    If noise concerns you the slightest then go for the Seagate, if it doesn't you might as well get a WD I don't think you'll see much of a difference.

But I heard so many bad things (and experienced myself) that I cannot recommend anyone an IBM drive.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I think there really is a difference. I've been dealing with hard drives for a long time now... my wife used to work at a drive recovery and repair place, and I used to do testing for them over 10 years ago. Even back then, Western Digital were some of the best drives. I've used them all over the years, and WD always holds up for me. I've had Maxtors, Seagates and Quantums die on me in huge numbers, but WD drives almost never die on me. This has been pretty consistant over the last 10 years of constantly dealing with hard drives. So I tend to just run WD drives in my own computers when I can, and I use them in other people's computers when they need replacements.

Of course there's always a percentage of drives that will die from any manufacturer... I just believe that WD's death percentage is lower than the other guys, and I myself have had very good fortune with them over the years.