iBook Combo drive stopped working

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My drive appears in System Profiler but doesn't mount DVDs, CDs, or blank CDs in either OS 9.22 or 10.1.4. This happened about 2 weeks ago. I am stumped. The drive clicks but never whines. You know, the click and then the whine, when the drive is spinning up and the fan comes on? Only the drive never spins up for either CD or DVD. I tried repositioning the little piece with laser on it in the groove, and I heard it successfully reposition back to the beginning and saw it, but still, nothing mounts! Someone suggested it may be a cable, but if that were the case I don't think it would appear in System Profiler or start to load the CD (the "click" part before the whine.) Also it wouldn't reposition the laser to the beginning.

This iBook has been just sitting here on my desk since I got to college. I didn't move it an inch before this happened.

One thing very peculiar happened. After Sleeping and Waking a few times over the course of a week, a CD sitting in the drive all of a sudden mounted. Of course when I slept and woke it, the CD was gone and wouldn't mount again. This happened one more time with Classic Queen in the drive.

What is going on!? Please please help me wise Appleinsiders!

And to think I didn't accept that stupid Circuit Shitty warranty... Hmm, sabotage? I bought this half a year ago at Circuit City where it had been sitting a year, so I don't think any warranty will cover this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Please can someone help me, this is rather urgent Any help is appreciated, thank you. Does anyone know if I got a dud, or what is wrong!?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I would hazard that your drive is just hosed. The not spinning up part is a good indicator of that. If you ahve access to any external optical drives, that would be a good test, it would show you whether your OS is still working correctly or not.