Is this a good price for a G5 tower?

swssws
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all. I have a iMac on one floor. I was thinking about picking up a Mac mini for another part of the house. But, a quick check on Craig's list found a tempting G5.

So, it's a dual 2.3 gh 8 gb of ram and two 250 gb HDs G5 tower with OS 10 leopard, iLife, iWork, office, and cs4 creative suits installed.

He says it's in perfect condition and runs flawlessly. I would test it of course before buying.

He is asking $325 for it. Sounds like a to good to be true price. He said I can meet up tonight so I can test it out.

I don't know the running prices on used G5's. So is this a normal price?

Thanks guys!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SWS View Post

Hello all. I have a iMac on one floor. I was thinking about picking up a Mac mini for another part of the house. But, a quick check on Craig's list found a tempting G5.

So, it's a dual 2.3 gh 8 gb of ram and two 250 gb HDs G5 tower with OS 10 leopard, iLife, iWork, office, and cs4 creative suits installed.

He says it's in perfect condition and runs flawlessly. I would test it of course before buying.

He is asking $325 for it. Sounds like a to good to be true price. He said I can meet up tonight so I can test it out.

Thanks guys!!

Sounds like a lousy deal to me when you could get this mac mini for slightly less than $200 more. The mini will be much faster, quieter, have a much longer life span going forward and be able to run current and future OS X upgrades as well as current and future third party soft ware.

PPC machines a this point are a bad solution unless you need to run older software that will not run on Intel Macs.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Assuming that the Power Mac G5 includes a monitor, mouse, and keyboard and that everything else is on the up-and-up, then the price is fantastic. However, the Mac mini is a very different machine. The PM G5 has no future. The Mac mini has no past. There are things that each computer can do that the other can't and vice-versa. If you are having trouble deciding between the two machines, then you should decide what you want to do with your computer. Buy the computer that best fits your plans.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

G5s are mostly obsolete now and very power hungry. You'd be better off with the Mini as you can at least run the latest OS. You can't even run 10.6 on a PPC so no App Store.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    That's a great price, grab it. I wish I could fine one. There are still a lot of OS open source projects that you can use instead of OSX. The G5 is great collectors item.