Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

I hope we get option for 1000gb ssd

We will.... several years from now.
  • Reply 42 of 102
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I see this come up every so often and I just don't think this is something we will ever see from Apple. I believe they will leave these solutions to your wireless carrier so you can get whatever solution they provide. I wouldn't want them building in a CDMA option if I lived in Europe and really, living here in the US, I have no interest in that option so it would be wasted space and money for me.

This feels like a very niche market need to me.

I suppose you have a case, especially since you don't need it. However, if you look at it from the perspective that since Verizon already allows tethering you only need the sim card LTE version and perhaps it could be ordered with and without like the iPad. Since the MBP is really considered to be a portable device I think a lot of people would opt for the feature. I know I would since I already have a solution in place with a wireless hotspot, but that requires carrying around an extra device and charger. Previously when the MBP had a express card slot I had a nice almost built in solution but they canceled that. I guess there are USB devices but I have not investigated. The nice thing about my current solution is that it is unlocked so when I travel overseas I can use a local sim.
  • Reply 43 of 102
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    For one thing cost, having a bay that can take an SSD module or a magnetic drive is far more flexible than not. If the users needs revolve around lots of storage they can go the magnetic drive route. If they want speed they can go the SSD route.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

My thought was...since it's rumored the Pros will be much like the Airs (think thin) then why waste space putting in standard "2.5 inch" SSDs, especially two of them, when it would take up a lot less space just using a bunch of flash chips.

Well as I said flexibility is one big reward. Honestly though they don't need two HDD compliant bays. One could be exclusive to a SSD module and another could be a combo bay that could take a card or a drive. Notably such a design works well into a tapered laptop enclosure.

Quote:

I don't think a standard SSD would even fit into the current MBA case, would it? Maybe the Pros will be a little thicker, but not likely.

We are talking a MBP here not an AIR, but no most SSD/HDD modules will not fit into an AIR. Lets not forget that their is a big difference between looking like an AIR and actually being an AIR. Apple could easily make a thinner laptop, that is tapered, with room for a conventional disk drive.

Quote:

I agree with what you're implying, that a Pro computer should have lots of storage. Knowing Apple, I think it's likely the only option will be flash storage at whatever price they want to charge.

Possibly. But if they go solid state only then the demand for multiple slots is only greater because you don't have the density to server pro user needs in one module. At least not at reasonable costs, even though those costs are dropping rapidly.

Quote:

Spinning HD drives are a thing of the past, don't you know?

There is no truth in that. In fact if they get the laser based technology going this year we should see some really amazing capacity jumps in hard drives. Magnetic drives will be the capacity leaders for a few more years.
  • Reply 44 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I see this come up every so often and I just don't think this is something we will ever see from Apple. I believe they will leave these solutions to your wireless carrier so you can get whatever solution they provide. I wouldn't want them building in a CDMA option if I lived in Europe and really, living here in the US, I have no interest in that option so it would be wasted space and money for me.

This feels like a very niche market need to me.

As mstone stated, it is a mobile device. They even have Find My Mac and and Remote Lock (it's actually locked in the firmware). I don't think they offer Remote Wipe.

I'd think it would be a $130 option like in the iPad and would be optional. I'd also expect it to be removable in the much the same way you can add and remove RAM.

Note that Apple has already had something similar to this with their original AirPort cards. It used a physically similar (but not electrically) mini-PCIe slot for their WiFI cards. This is how their MBA's SSD card works. If you look at the size of the cellular daughter board in the iPad it's quite small. I think this could be effective.
  • Reply 45 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

sounds like your MBP is rather old! As such any upgrade you get should look impressive.

Yeah, I think it is 2007 but it still suits my needs just fine since I only use it when I travel and it runs Lion and CS5 satisfactorily. I don't really need to upgrade except for the ML issue. When I bought it I opted for the max ram and all upgrades possible. These Macs remain serviceable for an incredibly long time.

Quote:

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan at all of the current iMac design! I'd rather see the often mentioned XMac. That being said the chips that will be available for a new iMac design could result in a very impressive design performance wise. I just won't go the iMac route until Apple addresses the serviceability issues. The laptops prove they can do a decent design so there is hope.

I'm looking for a new iMac for home to replace an older one so my requirements are not that extreme there either. It is just used for casual computing. I use a Mac Pro at the office.
  • Reply 46 of 102
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    So off to read the rest and then get some work done. However I must admit to being excited about the possibilities here. The new MBP have the potential to put a lot of new technology into our hands! They will likely be speed demonds too.
  • Reply 47 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Magnetic drives will be the capacity leaders for a few more years.

Even after magnetic drives are no longer the capacity leader for the same volume (they already aren't in smaller drives) they will continue to be the cost-per-GB leader for many years to come.

I know of several people worried about these rumours of the MBP following the MBA design. I don't think it's an issue since the MBP has followed the MBA in the past and a high capacity drive is more important today for a Pro user than the ODD was a few years ago and that's still hanging around.

The only legitimate issue are those that want the speed of the SSD and the capacity of the HDD via a dual drive system. This is less certain but I think Apple will offer this. Hopefully with a SSD card + HDD but they also have a patent for an SSD+HDD hybrid drive. I think the former is more likely.
  • Reply 48 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd think it would be a $130 option like in the iPad and would be optional. I'd also expect it to be removable in the much the same way you can add and remove RAM.

It wouldn't be so bad having GPS in a MBP either. Could be useful for some apps.
  • Reply 49 of 102
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post

Still believe the built-in optical drive makes the MBP distinct from the MBA. It's called Pro after all. Perhaps the 17" will retain the optical.

Really looking forward to the Ivy chips.

Optical Drives are the farthest thing from a Pro feature.

They have the smallest amount of purpose of any hardware features, add unnecessary weight, and basically dictate the entire design of the unit because of their ridiculously large size.

They need to be ditched, permanently, from all notebooks. Once every couple of months, you can plug in your USB CD drive when needed. There is no sensible argument to the contrary.
  • Reply 50 of 102
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    If the 15" is the powerhouse with portability that I hope it, I may have to try and pawn my Air off and get one.
  • Reply 51 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It wouldn't be so bad having GPS in a MBP either. Could be useful for some apps.

OS X certainly supports Location Services and that is growing in ML.
  • Reply 52 of 102
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Even after magnetic drives are no longer the capacity leader for the same volume (they already aren't in smaller drives) they will continue to be the cost-per-GB leader for many years to come.

I know of several people worried about these rumours of the MBP following the MBA design. I don't think it's an issue since the MBP has followed the MBA in the past and a high capacity drive is more important today for a Pro user than the ODD was a few years ago and that's still hanging around.

The only legitimate issue are those that want the speed of the SSD and the capacity of the HDD via a dual drive system. This is less certain but I think Apple will offer this. Hopefully with a SSD card + HDD but they also have a patent for an SSD+HDD hybrid drive. I think the former is more likely.

I feel its very likely that Apple offers a dual SSD+HDD solution in the new MBP.

Perhaps the same soldered SSD as in the MBA's for size purposes, and a real 2.5 HDD as well.

That would seem to be great for everyone, as there would be mass storage as well as speedy OS/Apps/Booting/etc.

I think they can do this and still save a lot of space, equating to a thinner/lighter design.
  • Reply 53 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

They have the smallest amount of purpose of any hardware features, add unnecessary weight, and basically dictate the entire design of the unit because of their ridiculously large size.

Have a lot of moving parts.

Are slow to read and write.

Use a lot of power when in operation.

Also dictate design by needing to be placed on an edge where ports could be placed.
  • Reply 54 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I feel its very likely that Apple offers a dual SSD+HDD solution in the new MBP.

Perhaps the same soldered SSD as in the MBA's for size purposes, and a real 2.5 HDD as well.

Note that it's not soldered to the logic board. That's the RAM, which I doubt would happen in the MBP. The SSD is a card that you can remove.

Quote:

That would seem to be great for everyone, as there would be mass storage as well as speedy OS/Apps/Booting/etc.

I think they can do this and still save a lot of space, equating to a thinner/lighter design.

I think that's the best solution. Depending on how thin they make the chassis they might be able to get away with a 7mm 2.5" drive. SSDs are typically 7mm while HDDs are 9.5mm.

However, there are single platter HDDs that are 7mm. I think 340GB is the current max per platter, which is admittedly low for my needs, but they could potentially offer two now that they can spread out the components better with the ODD gumming up the design. Most notably, placing the components along the back edge where it's thickest and closest to the vents.
  • Reply 55 of 102
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

As mstone stated, it is a mobile device. They even have Find My Mac and and Remote Lock (it's actually locked in the firmware). I don't think they offer Remote Wipe.

Note that Apple has already had something similar to this with their original AirPort cards. It used a physically similar (but not electrically) mini-PCIe slot for their WiFI cards. This is how their MBA's SSD card works. If you look at the size of the cellular daughter board in the iPad it's quite small. I think this could be effective.

And I don't mind seeing something like that as a BTO option. A lot of the time when people put it forward tho, they take the tack that if it isn't built in standard it somehow makes the devices non-pro, which is stupid.
  • Reply 56 of 102
    Wouldnt it be better to have a dedicated graphics card than an integrated 1. And i know this has been focused on only the 15 and 13 inch but what about the 17 inch?
  • Reply 57 of 102
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I don't understand what is 'pro' about an optical drive. What do you need it for? I haven't bought physical software installation disks for over two years now, what use does it serve? I'm sure there will be a peripheral available for those that need one, but i can't imagine why anyone would need this in a portable device.

Because in a Pro portable device, I don't want something external that could be internal. And I still use the optical drive to receive files that are too big to email from other people and to transfer files from a non-networkable standalone CD-R drive. And I also burn music for people. As cheap as USB hard drive keys are, they're not as cheap as a blank CD-R.

In addition, some people still prefer DVDs (and Blu-rays for that matter) to streaming and downloadable files. What it really comes down to is why should I lose functionality when I "upgrade" to a new machine.

I agree with those who wonder what the difference is going to be between a MBA and a MBP. I would also consider a small solid-state drive to be a downgrade as well. I've put a 750GB drive into my MBP and that's what I need. As a consultant, I do lots of work for clients who do not want their files in the Cloud.

I think Apple is going to be making a big mistake if they don't maintain a distinction between these lines. They will lose the high-end users. If they want to have thin machines with solid state drives and no optical drive for people who mainly consume content, that's fine -- that's what the MBA line is for.

I do not want to trade hard disk space and the optical drive for slightly more speed and battery life - that's not a good tradeoff for me. The way Apple has responded to consumers' needs in the past is to have multiple lines of products and with customizations within each line. They need to maintain that. One size does not fit all.
  • Reply 58 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Because in a Pro portable device, I don't want something external that could be internal.

You might to rethink that statement since a floppy drive and a whole mess of other outdated HW could be internal.

Quote:

And I still use the optical drive to receive files that are too big to email from other people and to transfer files from a non-networkable standalone CD-R drive. And I also burn music for people. As cheap as USB hard drive keys are, they're not as cheap as a blank CD-R.

But how common do you thin it is for people to require burning audio CDs for people or getting files to people that don't have network connectivity? This simply isn't something the average user does which is why the iPad, with even less in the way of ports and slots is capable of being so popular.

Quote:

In addition, some people still prefer DVDs (and Blu-rays for that matter) to streaming and downloadable files. What it really comes down to is why should I lose functionality when I "upgrade" to a new machine.

Titles on Blu-ray is still the best quality but that isn't something that has ever been on the Mac... and never will be. It's a living room technology not something that needs to be carted around in your 13" notebook taking up 25% of the internal space just in case you feel the urge to watch a movie.

Have you ever heard a Blu-ray drive in action on a notebook? You should wear headphones because they can be loud, not to mention the fans going for all the heat it produces

It's just not a smart fit for the average user.

Quote:

I agree with those who wonder what the difference is going to be between a MBA and a MBP. I would also consider a small solid-state drive to be a downgrade as well. I've put a 750GB drive into my MBP and that's what I need. As a consultant, I do lots of work for clients who do not want their files in the Cloud.

The differences are clear. The current MBP took it's cues for the unibody design from the original MBA and yet people didn't wonder about the difference between the two so getting rid of the ODD and making it a little thinner isn't going to do the same.

Quote:

I think Apple is going to be making a big mistake if they don't maintain a distinction between these lines. They will lose the high-end users. If they want to have thin machines with solid state drives and no optical drive for people who mainly consume content, that's fine -- that's what the MBA line is for.

Those who think the ODD is a requirement for high-end users don't sound like Pro users to me. They sound like Pre users, as in prehistoric.

Quote:

I do not want to trade hard disk space and the optical drive for slightly more speed and battery life - that's not a good tradeoff for me.

Then don't buy a MBA.
  • Reply 59 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

With no optical drive and no hard drive, what's to distinguish the 13" Pro from the 13" Air? Just asking.

The PRO model will come with a talking assistant to anticipate what you are doing and offer to help you by popping up in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Instead of being male or female the assistant will be in the shape of a common office object. People will all want a laptop with a built-in assistant, you'll see. Once more Apple gives the public what they didn't know they badly wanted!
  • Reply 60 of 102
    ulmusulmus Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

I suspect the MB Air moniker will disappear as will MB Pro. Don't forget Apple's obsession with simplifying the product names. One can easily envision the names

Macbook 11

Macbook 13

Macbook 15

Macbook 17

which would mean that the only decision left to the consumer is how big; seems simple to me. I'm just hoping that the MB 15 can take 16 Gb of ram, 'cause I have 4 on my 2010 and it hangs up more often than it should, especially when working with 300Mb+ files

Maybe Apple will replace the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro with the old moniker iBooks: 11, 13, 15, 17? Change the whole Mac line to iNames. Ah, probs not. Maybe though.