Apple to build 200K 15-in. MacBook Pros in April, 400K 13-in. units in June

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

An initial production run of 200,000 15" MacBook Pros doesn't seem aspirational. I am considering buying three 15" MacBook Pros just this year. I have told everyone considering a laptop to wait until the end of April as well. Likewise, I have seen a lot of others here who are waiting for the latest refresh to purchase systems.

Apple's entire computer business (including iMacs, MacPros and their entire range of laptops from 11" Airs to 17" MacPros) now accounts for less than a quarter of Apple's revenue.

There is a reason why Apple dropped the word Computer from their name.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The bolded is not true for the current 13" MBP.

Frankly I'm a bit worried anyways, about the 13" MBP, as this is not the first indication that it might not come until June. If so there is a real possibility that we will end up with a dual core CPU again! Now that would really suck. If not dual core, a processor with a marginal GPU. I was really hoping that Ivy Bridge would bring quad core to the 13" MBP.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I don't understand what is 'pro' about an optical drive. What do you need it for? I haven't bought physical software installation disks for over two years now, what use does it serve? I'm sure there will be a peripheral available for those that need one, but i can't imagine why anyone would need this in a portable device.

Not everyone uses it as a portable device, some use it as a desktop replacement. I don't have a problem with them ditching the optical drive as I can always buy an external unit. I use my optical drive to rip CDs into iTunes. Also not all the software is on the Mac AppStore yet, for example X-Plane 10 is only available on disk from what I can find. I think Adobe CS is still only available on disk as well. Things move on but it will be some time before all of us can leave the optical disk behind.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

So, what does "Dual HDs mean, when it's likely to run flash storage? You don't think there will be standard SSDs do you? And two of them? Sounds like wasted space.

Wasted space? You got to be kidding. One of the major drawbacks to the AIRs is simply not having enough storage space on board. That in and of itself justifies the 13" MBPs existence. The problem today is that Flash is expensive so Apple needs a way to allow users to address that economically and the best way to do that is with multiple bays/slots.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm not sure I will miss the optical or not, frankly I don't use it much anymore. I do however have to carry an external drive around with me all the time. So an MBP that can handle a 1TB or larger internal HD in addition to the SSD would be very welcomed. I really don't see how dropping the optical is such a big deal these days.

I rarely use the optical drive in the MBP and could easily just use a USB drive to transfer big .dmgs, .movs between non-highspeed networked machines. I do hope they come with available no contract unlocked cell data built in like the iPad. I'm definitely ready since I can't upgrade to ML until I replace my current MBP. I'm also ready for a new iMac as well. I think they will be coming very soon to coincide with ML release.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Dual hd's, faster cpu, discrete graphics, firewire, more ram as standard.

You mean in the same way the current 13" MBP is distinguished from the 13" MBA by having a discrete GPU?
  • Reply 27 of 102
    jcsegenmdjcsegenmd Posts: 105member
    I suspect the MB Air moniker will disappear as will MB Pro. Don't forget Apple's obsession with simplifying the product names. One can easily envision the names

Macbook 11

Macbook 13

Macbook 15

Macbook 17

which would mean that the only decision left to the consumer is how big; seems simple to me. I'm just hoping that the MB 15 can take 16 Gb of ram, 'cause I have 4 on my 2010 and it hangs up more often than it should, especially when working with 300Mb+ files
  • Reply 28 of 102
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Wasted space? You got to be kidding. One of the major drawbacks to the AIRs is simply not having enough storage space on board. That in and of itself justifies the 13" MBPs existence. The problem today is that Flash is expensive so Apple needs a way to allow users to address that economically and the best way to do that is with multiple bays/slots.

My thought was...since it's rumored the Pros will be much like the Airs (think thin) then why waste space putting in standard "2.5 inch" SSDs, especially two of them, when it would take up a lot less space just using a bunch of flash chips. I don't think a standard SSD would even fit into the current MBA case, would it? Maybe the Pros will be a little thicker, but not likely.

I agree with what you're implying, that a Pro computer should have lots of storage. Knowing Apple, I think it's likely the only option will be flash storage at whatever price they want to charge. Spinning HD drives are a thing of the past, don't you know?
  • Reply 29 of 102
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Not everyone uses it as a portable device, some use it as a desktop replacement. I don't have a problem with them ditching the optical drive as I can always buy an external unit. I use my optical drive to rip CDs into iTunes. Also not all the software is on the Mac AppStore yet, for example X-Plane 10 is only available on disk from what I can find. I think Adobe CS is still only available on disk as well. Things move on but it will be some time before all of us can leave the optical disk behind.

Adobe CS is available as a download, haven't bothered with discs since cs4. Can't think of a single reason for an optical drive as standard...
  • Reply 30 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

I'm just hoping that the MB 15 can take 16 Gb of ram, 'cause I have 4 on my 2010 and it hangs up more often than it should, especially when working with 300Mb+ files

All 2011 MacBook Pros can take 16GB of RAM. The 2012 replacements should as well.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    Quote:

I don't understand what is 'pro' about an optical drive. What do you need it for?

At one time it was a requirement for business as all sorts of files where transferred that way. Outside of transfers you had bootable CDs that could be used for system maintenance. Then there is the backup of important files.

Quote:

I haven't bought physical software installation disks for over two years now, what use does it serve?

Some people are farther behind than others! For example most of the uses above have been replaced with network access, web (external networks), and USB dongles. Now a days most of my optical usage is for the viewing of movies and frankly it is far more desirable to have a collection of those internally on the HD.

Quote:

I'm sure there will be a peripheral available for those that need one, but i can't imagine why anyone would need this in a portable device.

There isn't any reason other than movies these days. As I mentioned this isn't even the ideal solution anymore when you have the option of movies on your internal storage or streaming.
  • Reply 32 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

This is great news for prosumers. These stunning new MacBook Pros are shaping up to be among the most incredible ever. I can't wait to place my order.

I must admit to being tempted.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

You mean in the same way the current 13" MBP is distinguished from the 13" MBA by having a discrete GPU?

Wrong. The current 13" MBP does NOT have a discrete GPU. Check the specs.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I think I see the argument some are discussing. It is arguable that the 13" MacBook Air is a better value versus the 13" MacBook Pro.

Deleted a bunch of stuff.

However the arguement is not about which is a better value but which fits certain users needs better.

Quote:

We can see few differences currently but based on currently shipping products for other markets and rumors we can surmise that the following features are potential differentiators for the MacBook Pro product line versus the MacBook Air product line:

Retina Display

Higher processor clock speeds (possibly quad-core as well)

Higher RAM

Larger SSD Hard drives (256 GB minimum, upgrade to 512 GB)

Discrete graphics (I think this is the least likely feature)

The clock speed alone is a significant advantage as is the ability to add more RAM.

Quote:

Considering that the primary differentiators for the MacBook Pro line are discrete graphics and additional processing power, Apple may have difficulty creating a value proposition for the 13" MacBook Pro without a Retina Display and discrete graphics. Right now, in my opinion, the 13" MacBook Air is a far superior value versus the 13" MacBook Pro. Apple needs drastic changes to differentiate the two product lines.

That is largely your opinion! Sales of the MBP tell a different story. Honestly though it isn't the machine that is important but rather the users needs. This dictates which one gets purchased not some sort of phones value equation that supposedly applies to all users. To that end the MBP gets choosen over the AIRs by many people every day because it better fits their needs.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Apple's entire computer business (including iMacs, MacPros and their entire range of laptops from 11" Airs to 17" MacPros) now accounts for less than a quarter of Apple's revenue.

There is a reason why Apple dropped the word Computer from their name.

It might even be less than a quarter by now, but Apple is still Agressively taking share from the leaders in the computer industry. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them effectively at the top of the heap in a few quarters. That is without the aid of iPhone and iPad which are computers too.

In fact I could see Apple leading the industry rather quickly if they could introduce desktops that would actually sell to the business world.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    Quote:

Adobe CS is available as a download, haven't bothered with discs since cs4. Can't think of a single reason for an optical drive as standard...

If you can't think of a reason you need an optical disk... you are not a "pro" user. Or at least not a "creative pro user".
  • Reply 37 of 102
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I do hope they come with available no contract unlocked cell data built in like the iPad.

I see this come up every so often and I just don't think this is something we will ever see from Apple. I believe they will leave these solutions to your wireless carrier so you can get whatever solution they provide. I wouldn't want them building in a CDMA option if I lived in Europe and really, living here in the US, I have no interest in that option so it would be wasted space and money for me.

This feels like a very niche market need to me.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I rarely use the optical drive in the MBP and could easily just use a USB drive to transfer big .dmgs, .movs between non-highspeed networked machines. I do hope they come with available no contract unlocked cell data built in like the iPad. I'm definitely ready since I can't upgrade to ML until I replace my current MBP.

sounds like your MBP is rather old! As such any upgrade you get should look impressive.

Quote:

I'm also ready for a new iMac as well. I think they will be coming very soon to coincide with ML release.

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan at all of the current iMac design! I'd rather see the often mentioned XMac. That being said the chips that will be available for a new iMac design could result in a very impressive design performance wise. I just won't go the iMac route until Apple addresses the serviceability issues. The laptops prove they can do a decent design so there is hope.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    There is a huge difference between a MBP that looks something like an AIR and one that actually suffers from all the limitations of the AIRs. As I mentioned in another note the 13"MBP still sells extremely well even with the AIR sitting right next to it. That is due directly to the "extras" that make for far better performance.

Quote:

I suspect the MB Air moniker will disappear as will MB Pro. Don't forget Apple's obsession with simplifying the product names. One can easily envision the names

Macbook 11

Macbook 13

Macbook 15

Macbook 17

which would mean that the only decision left to the consumer is how big; seems simple to me. I'm just hoping that the MB 15 can take 16 Gb of ram, 'cause I have 4 on my 2010 and it hangs up more often than it should, especially when working with 300Mb+ files

You see you describe precisely why an all AIR line up is such a bad thing. For many users simply being able to add that extra RAM is a huge advantage in the MBPs. For many the advantage is in being able to run VMs.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    Quote:

Macbook 11

Macbook 13

Macbook 15

Macbook 17

Current 15 inchworms well with 16gb.

I hope we get option for 1000gb ssd