Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July

Comments

• Reply 61 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Mac Pro??

I feel your pain... I'm also waiting to see what happens on that field to make my decision on a new desktop.
  • Reply 62 of 155
    Quote:

There are no more prosumers. Merely consumers.

You could be right. Apple Computer is dead...long live Apple Inc and all that. The computer is dead. Long live the computer.

The prosumer is dead. Long live the consumer...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 63 of 155
    I don't notice the glare/reflections at all now. It was only obvious with a light source on the iMac. I have my iMac in front of the window.

Don't notice it unless I 'focus' on it to notice.

Hated the white iMacs for their crappy plastic press in screens.

Love the glass. Coatings such as anti reflect? That's up to Apple I guess.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 64 of 155
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Agreed - the metalic/glass/black and gray look was passe even before Apple released it.

Not that it's not unattractive it's just not that unusual.

The iMacs always used to have groundbreaking design- bring it back.

I'm about to agree with you.
  • Reply 65 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I would love to say that the reports of the death of the Mac Pro have been greatly exaggerated but I unfortunately don't know that to be the case. For all we know, you may be right.

Heh. It was the same old drama story when the mini had gone awhile without an update.

Some 'rumour' sites even going as far to say it was dead...I think at the time...and then had to do about face saving reports to the contrary. Tee-hee.

In the absence of Apple saying anything hysteria follows.

see iPad 3 name. iPhone 5 naming debacle. Mac Mini update taking ages. Most of Apple news is like this because of Apple's secrecy.

If we don't see a Mac Pro by the fall we can summise it's demise. But even then...you never know with Apple. :P

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 66 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've been working on a stand design that allows the user to take their multitouch desktop and move it between a keyboard-level angle and a vertical display.

That's what Apple will have to make to get OS XI accepted.

OS XI ?? Did Tim Cook tell you something he has not shared with the rest of the world?

• Reply 67 of 155
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

There are no more prosumers. Merely consumers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The prosumer is dead. Long live the consumer...

I'm not sure I agree that the prosumer is dead. Seems to me, at least as far as Apple is concerned, that the pro user is dead and they're concentrating their efforts in the prosumer (FCP X, etc.) and consumer (iEverything else) areas.
  • Reply 68 of 155
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is to ignore USB3. I see nothing that would lead one to believe they have some sort of vendetta against USB3. I do see long spin cycles on new hardware which is all Intel based, this means they are without chipset support. So what has Apple done to convince you that they don't care about USB3?

Quote:

Support.

The chipsets also support USB 2 ports.

I would NOT put it past Apple to ignore USB 3 entirely and keep using 2.

There are good reasons for them to support USB 3 and almost no negatives. So I really have a hard time believing Apple won't support it when the hardware is there.

Quote:

People keep saying this, but I don't get it.

Maybe it is time to just accept what you are being told. That may sound rough or over bearing but this has been addressed multiple times on the forum. In any event just consider the deltas in hardware costs. There are dozens of vendors from which I can get an array of micro controllers that support USB. Some of these are complete systems, voltage regulators and all, further they are dirt cheap.

Now consider TB, right off the bat the interface cable costs more than the USB micro controller. Then you have the TB cross bar switch chip and it's supporting micro controller. A micro controller by the way that needs to support PCI-Express. Compounding that the speed of TB implies a need for buffering RAM. All of this sits on a logic board with a power supply and that board needs to be designed for some very high speed signals. So without even looking we have a system that may cost ten times what a USB solution might. It is no surprise at all that the first systems on the market are more expensive RAID arrays where some of the interface expense can be covered.

If you don't like these explanations take a look at the pictures of the guts of Apples TB monitor. The controller for that TB device could pass for a computer itself.
  • Reply 69 of 155
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Perfect timing- I'll start budgeting for it now. I need to get my computer up in the iCloud as my 2006 matte CoreDuo iMac is not alowed/capable. My mobileme mail stopped working on my iMac ever since I took my iPhone and iPad up into the cloud.

well yeah, you moved it to iCloud which doesn't work on your computer. Of course things were going to go wonky. Why did you move it now instead of waiting until you absolutely had to. Mobile Me would have still worked on the iPad/iphone.
  • Reply 70 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Heh. It was the same old drama story when the mini had gone awhile without an update.

Some 'rumour' sites even going as far to say it was dead...I think at the time...and then had to do about face saving reports to the contrary. Tee-hee.

In the absence of Apple saying anything hysteria follows.

see iPad 3 name. iPhone 5 naming debacle. Mac Mini update taking ages. Most of Apple news is like this because of Apple's secrecy.

If we don't see a Mac Pro by the fall we can summise it's demise. But even then...you never know with Apple. :P

Lemon Bon Bon.

Well, here's to hoping. I just need something with more than 4 cores and desktop GPU performance. I tried working on the latest iMac and as someone else said, it got hot enough to iron a shirt.
  • Reply 71 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

OS XI ?? Did Tim Cook tell you something he has not shared with the rest of the world?

Well... I think it's kind of obvious that they must be working or, at least, have a vision of what's going to come next on what computer OS is concerned. Also we are running out of "cats" so...
  • Reply 72 of 155
    Quote:

I've been working on a stand design that allows the user to take their multitouch desktop and move it between a keyboard-level angle and a vertical display.

That's what Apple will have to make to get OS XI accepted.

I'd like it if you could rotate the Screen to a vertical lock. That would be cool for me. That an a HiDPI screen to get closer to a WYSIWYG apparition of print art work.

I don't see either happening.

Boutique chic like the Cube and the Lamp iMac are part of the Museum of Modern Art? But they aren't what Apple's doing these days. Function, minimal designs. Radical. A little but not so much.

Just 'better' - sleeker and xen like simplicity more than the opposition.

But hey, feel free to toast my Bon Bons if Apple turns up with a Guy Fawkes limited edition iMac.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 73 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

Also we are running out of "cats" so...

Well, they could try OS 10.9 Garfield.
  • Reply 74 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I want a radically redesigned iMac.

Haven't you been reading the rumors. They are dropping the chin, and the Optical drive. Plus the display is going to go edge to edge and of course be Retina (which means a new GPU). The drives will all be SSD now, no actual hard drives and they will come with 8GB of high speed Ram. They are going to come in new 36 and 46 inch sizes as well.

Oh and they are killing the Mac Pro, who needs that silly little machine now that we have the new iMacs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If the screen resolution is better, I will purchase the new iMac. Matte isn't important in my situation

The rumor isn't Matte screens but more the same Museum Glass you see in front of paintings and such. Cuts down on light reflection without the total color dimming of a matte screen. Would be a welcome change on the iPhone and iPad as well.
  • Reply 75 of 155
    Quote:

Well, here's to hoping. I just need something with more than 4 cores and desktop GPU performance. I tried working on the latest iMac and as someone else said, it got hot enough to iron a shirt.

Trust me, I feel your pain. I waited years for a rational Pro and plumped for a top end iMac in a sale. So I know what it's like to wait. (Try ten years, mate.)

I wouldn't try to gaffer tape my face to the top left side of the iMac at full tilt. Sizzle and burn, baby. :O

I wonder...could they shoe in low end Xeon 6 core on the top end model?

The 6970m (Isn't that the one they use in the top end now...?) has decent performance? Not that far off it's desktop counterpart?

I suppose we'll get some 7000 class gpus. (We'd better!)

Come on, Apple. 'Give it everything you've got.'

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 76 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The iMac hasn't seen a major redesign in 7 years. The Mac Pro hasn't seen a major redesign in 11 years. Has Apple run out of ideas?

Not necessarily. If the current ones are selling why fix what ain't broke. especially if you are changing it just to change it.

When there is a value to changing things, Apple will. Until then, they will focus on the internals.
  • Reply 77 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Oh and they are killing the Mac Pro, who needs that silly little machine now that we have the new iMacs.

Well, if they can cram true Mac Pro performance in that new iMac of yours, then sign me up.
  • Reply 78 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Haven't you been reading the rumors. They are dropping the chin, and the Optical drive. Plus the display is going to go edge to edge and of course be Retina (which means a new GPU). The drives will all be SSD now, no actual hard drives and they will come with 8GB of high speed Ram. They are going to come in new 36 and 46 inch sizes as well.

I can never tell when you're joking. (Says in a female voice.)

But hey, it sounds like an iMac I might want so...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 79 of 155
    Quote:

That's my speculation as well. The NAB convention seems like a good time/place to roll out a new Mac Pro alongside some kind of FCP X update. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The 2012 NAB Show starts next week. It would be nice but I don't believe Apple is going to fulfill your wishes on this one. If an update/new Mac Pro is on the verge of being released, some kind of rumor would have popped up a couple of weeks ago.
  • Reply 80 of 155
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Depends on the app. For photography and drawing I would like it. Also for iTunes I would like. Writing music- using it as a keyboard too.

You say that now but I'm simply not convinced that most users would accept such interfacing. I see a lot of touch screen usage in factories, beyond terrible interfaces it is just more difficult for the operators than reaching for a keyboard.

As I said there might be use cases where it is an advantage but those are darn few. Even for photography and such it has severe limitations.

Quote:

Think outside the box.

You really need to think about what you are asking for. If you did you would realize it is a niche feature at best.

Quote:

It's an option- ease up.

Once users see all the new Apps made for this that will also work on iPad and iPhone it could be very welcomed.

You could still revert it back to the traditional keyboard use.

This is the problem, it wouldn't be welcomed. Users would revert to traditional interfaces very quickly because it would be a huge productivity drain. Even a novice keyboard user can pound away at a keyboard faster than he can a touch screen. Further he can do so with more accuracy and with les fatigue.