5 new regional US carriers will offer Apple's iPhone starting April 20 [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

So if Apple's pay to play costs are so high that a mid-market telco like US Cellular says they can't afford to offer the iPhone, how is it that these even smaller players are doing it?

I don't think they have a choice. They probably can't afford to offer the iPhone, but they really cannot afford not to offer it otherwise subscribers will go elsewhere.

Apple really did a number on carriers with the iPhone. The iPhone is popular enough that carriers must offer it or they will lose subscribers. It is expensive, requiring huge subsidies, but carriers cannot increase the price or subscribers will go to another carrier who offers the exact same phone. There is no carrier customization so it doesn't create a reason to pick one carrier other another who also has the exact same phone. Subscribers are loyal to Apple not the carrier and are more than happy to switch to a new carrier when their contract is up taking all their apps with them. But carriers equally cannot afford not to offer the iPhone.

It reminds me what Apple previously did to the music industry.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    Now you have to remember Katie, that T-Mumble has the DUMBEST MARKETING CMO IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND driving their sales with the devices he believes have "COME TO HIM" begging for his business. The thing that makes this almost the most hilarious tale of a CMO ever, is that the CEO, Humm, actually agrees with him.... THAT'S PANDEMIC STUPIDITY. AND, FIVE regional carriers JUST PROVED IT.

T-Mumble will finally get the iPhone 2 in 2016....
  • Reply 23 of 40
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm pretty sure that you mean the SNL app, because Palin never actually said that, even though many ignorant liberals falsely believe that she did, and they keep repeating that ignorant lie. What else can you really expect from people who get most of their news and info from comedy shows?

With the Barack Obama app, you too can learn how to speak Austrian in Austria! You can also learn how to pronounce corpseman correctly without making it sound like you're addressing a dead person. The Obama app also gives automatic shoutouts to your homies in the crowd, whenever a massacre has just been committed.

The Obama app also provides a built in teleprompter, so no matter where you are or how much you stutter or sound like an uneducated fool, you will now be able to recycle them same, tired, old phrases time and time again, without having to use your brain much at all. It even works when you are speaking to a bunch of school kids.

Get it now for .99 cents on the appstore. Hurry, because this is a limited time offer.

Thank you, Captain Buzzkill.

What do you do for an encore, tell little kids Santa Claus isn't real?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Four year old jokes that are only relevant because they pertain to something from the same state are still funny?

Time flies, doesn't it?

Dumb is dumb, and that makes it still funny.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure that you mean the SNL app, because Palin never actually said that, even though many ignorant liberals falsely believe that she did, and they keep repeating that ignorant lie. What else can you really expect from people who get most of their news and info from comedy shows?

With the Barack Obama app, you too can learn how to speak Austrian in Austria! You can also learn how to pronounce corpseman correctly without making it sound like you're addressing a dead person. The Obama app also gives automatic shoutouts to your homies in the crowd, whenever a massacre has just been committed.

The Obama app also provides a built in teleprompter, so no matter where you are or how much you stutter or sound like an uneducated fool, you will now be able to recycle them same, tired, old phrases time and time again, without having to use your brain much at all. It even works when you are speaking to a bunch of school kids.

Get it now for .99 cents on the appstore. Hurry, because this is a limited time offer.

She actually did say something very similar, so get off your horse and live with it.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    I can't believe so many people can afford $90+ a month for cell phone service, with limited data to boot. That's just insane. Sprint is a slightly better deal in the limited/unlimited regard, but their network is terrible if you ever wander out of town or off the main roads.

Finally found a solution to my years-long iPhone envy last month without breaking the bank and getting into some crappy 2-year contract. Used iPhone 4S + StraightTalk Unlimited Sim = $42 a month for unlimited voice/text/data, no contract. The only drawback is that visual voicemail doesn't work, but I don't get much voicemail so no biggy. Oh, and you have to pay quite a bit more for the phone (either on the used market or unlocked) but when I'm saving $500+ a year, it really doesn't matter that much at all.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

It couldn't be that Google's paying to keep Apple out of the mid-level players, could it?

That's really nonsensical to think, but we should consider everything. Including them being too stupid and stubborn to cave to Apple's demands or Apple's demands actually being too restrictive.

I doubt that Google would be doing that. What advantage would it give them to keep the iPhone out of the hands of a small carrier, when they can't do that with the carriers that really matter? And if ever came out that they were doing that, and sooner or later, it would, it would be bad for them, possibly even illegal.

We all know that t-mobile wants the phone but hasn't gotten it. But Its not due to anything other than incompatibility, though they're modding towers for the proper frequency.

Even business people have their prejudices. It's very possible that the people who run some of these companies prefer Android over iOS, or Google over Apple, and that's keeping them from including iPhones.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I bought my first cell phone circa 1995 it cost be about $50 and the plan was $39.99 for 900mins anytime. these phone companies are ripping us off. It's the only tech industry where prices go up over time imho

Nonsense! The old cell phones cost $1,500, and it cost $5 a minute for calls coming in or out. Things are far cheaper now. Even in 1995, there weren't data plans, it was just SMS. Much more than that was rare.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Find some coffee, drink a cup

Find a niche and fill it up.....
  • Reply 30 of 40
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:

Four year old jokes that are only relevant because they pertain to something from the same state are still funny?

Time flies, doesn't it?

Hey, Gonad O'Brien still tries for big laffs with his hackneyed, 50 year old New Jersey jokes, so a 4 year old knee-slapper is palin' by comparison.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

With so few finite frequencies available, getting desirable 3G frequencies (850 and 1900 MHz) can be extremely difficult. T-Mobile was probably banking on semiconductor firms eventually releasing more universal 3G chipset (for its 1700 and 1900 MHz 3G/4G bands).

Let's face it. Radio frequency spectrum is a huge mess, especially when you factor in LTE.

Of course it is. But, shouldn't the regulators be responsible for fixing it?

I wonder what the relative cost of (say) replacing all police/fire radios or US military radios to the long-term incompatibility that not changing causes. I know a lot of the equipment has 20+ year lives with the older technology (and we don't see that with newer technology), but it really seems like being penny-wise and pound-foolish.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Of course it is. But, shouldn't the regulators be responsible for fixing it?

I wonder what the relative cost of (say) replacing all police/fire radios or US military radios to the long-term incompatibility that not changing causes. I know a lot of the equipment has 20+ year lives with the older technology (and we don't see that with newer technology), but it really seems like being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

They are working on spectrum for official use such as that for rescue, fire, and police. Here, in NYC, when we had the 9/11 attack, the police and fire departments couldn't communicate directly with each other. They had to use cell phones. A friend, high in the medical office of the police department said to me that it caused the deaths of a number of people in both departments, including a couple of people she knew.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

And with the Sarah Palin App you can see Russia from your house too!

No, that's the Tina Fey app.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure that you mean the SNL app, because Palin never actually said that, even though many ignorant liberals falsely believe that she did...

The Obama app also provides a built in teleprompter, so .. you will now be able to recycle them same, tired, old phrases time and time again, without having to use your brain much at all...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Thank you, Captain Buzzkill.

What do you do for an encore, tell little kids Santa Claus isn't real?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Dumb is dumb, and that makes it still funny.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

She actually did say something very similar, so get off your horse and live with it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

No, that's the Tina Fey app.

Quote:

Sarah Palin deserves any crap she gets, hell, she is her own worst enemy when it comes to saying stupid things. ... Yes, SNL spoofed it, but the take away was that her insight on Russia comes from living so close that you can see Russia from land in Alaska.

She appeals to those "regular" people who would prefer to have a fellow idiot run the country than an educated person. I for one would prefer to have someone smarter than me running this or any country....

I have a slight sense some of you feel jokes about "dumb" quotes from some people (ones you don't like) are funnier than those about others (that you're committed to).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Hey, Gonad O'Brien still tries for big laffs with his hackneyed, 50 year old New Jersey jokes, so a 4 year old knee-slapper is palin' by comparison.

Now that's funny.... ('cos I haven't heard it for one thing). But going back to four year old source material, and accepting Melgross' observation that dumb is dumb, I hear the new Obama GPS app is selling great because it includes maps of all 57 states....
  • Reply 35 of 40
    night9hawknight9hawk Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Sarah Palin deserves any crap she gets, hell, she is her own worst enemy when it comes to saying stupid things. This is what she said - "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska", when Charles Gibson asked her what insight she had gained from living so close to Russia. Yes, SNL spoofed it, but the take away was that her insight on Russia comes from living so close that you can see Russia from land in Alaska.

She appeals to those "regular" people who would prefer to have a fellow idiot run the country than an educated person. I for one would prefer to have someone smarter than me running this or any country. GW Bush was proof that bad things happen when you're sleeping on the job that was given to you by the dolts who thought you're just like them...

From a Wikipedia article:

In 1987 swimmer Lynne Cox swam the two miles (3 km) between the Diomede Islands from Alaska to the Soviet Union in 40 °F (4 °C) water during the last years of the Cold War.

So I guess you could see Russia from parts of Alaska!
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I have a slight sense some of you feel jokes about "dumb" quotes from some people (ones you don't like) are funnier than those about others (that you're committed to).

Now that's funny.... ('cos I haven't heard it for one thing). But going back to four year old source material, and accepting Melgross' observation that dumb is dumb, I hear the new Obama GPS app is selling great because it includes maps of all 57 states....

Never been a fan of O'brian. I got over college humor when I graduated.

The problem is that conservatives are funnier, because they say the weirdest things. You can try and make up a joke about Obama, because you don't like him, but he doesn't do funny they way they do. Even Letterman, who is a known conservative, keeps most of his jokes on other conservatives, because much of what they say is so off the wall.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post

From a Wikipedia article:

In 1987 swimmer Lynne Cox swam the two miles (3 km) between the Diomede Islands from Alaska to the Soviet Union in 40 °F (4 °C) water during the last years of the Cold War.

So I guess you could see Russia from parts of Alaska!

Let's also remember that you can see Alaska from Russia. I'm not going to comment on whether I like or dislike Ms. Palin, but I have been to Alaska and we in the lower 48 are not really well informed on the Russian influence and culture there. Likewise, a person who grew up in Alaska may not realize the dearth of knowledge we lower 48 types possess regarding where the people there came from.

During my trip I saw many structures (mostly churches) that had clear Russian heritage. Alaska was part of Russia until the mid 1800's. For about 150 years before that it was settled by Russian traders and hunters. Before that, it was settled by the native population that includes the Eskimos, Indians, and Aleuts. All of these people came from Siberia and Russia.

I am suggesting that we don't fully appreciate the Russian centric views that may be held by a person who grew up there.

(For more information you might google "Russian cultural influence in Alaska.")
  • Reply 38 of 40
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

Let's also remember that you can see Alaska from Russia. I'm not going to comment on whether I like or dislike Ms. Palin, but I have been to Alaska and we in the lower 48 are not really well informed on the Russian influence and culture there. Likewise, a person who grew up in Alaska may not realize the dearth of knowledge we lower 48 types possess regarding where the people there came from.

During my trip I saw many structures (mostly churches) that had clear Russian heritage. Alaska was part of Russia until the mid 1800's. For about 150 years before that it was settled by Russian traders and hunters. Before that, it was settled by the native population that includes the Eskimos, Indians, and Aleuts. All of these people came from Siberia and Russia.

I am suggesting that we don't fully appreciate the Russian centric views that may be held by a person who grew up there.

(For more information you might google "Russian cultural influence in Alaska.")

And finally for my last off-topic comment - Sarah Palin would have had more credibility had she said, Alaska was part of Russia and many people here in Alaska have cultural or family ties to Russia, so we have a unique perspective when it comes to dealing with Russia politics. It would have been spin, for sure, but she didn't answer the question, in the same way she "answered" other questions she had no clue how to answer. In my eyes, she came across as worse than GW - given he at least had some pedigree with a father that was a great politician.

She was and continues to be most concerned about her own financial security than any regular folk and is simply an entertainer (of sorts). She's no politician - like so many in politics now who refuse to negotiate and stand on their soap boxes spewing garbage to those who seemingly want this country to become some fascist hateful exclusionary enclave.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

like so many in politics now who refuse to negotiate and stand on their soap boxes spewing garbage to those who seemingly want this country to become some fascist hateful exclusionary enclave.

Still happily participating in keeping this thread totally off-topic:

One person's inclusionary definition appears to be another's exclusionary list... ...the diversity and tolerance crowd, e.g., doesn't seem to have much room for rich white Christians in their love everybody list (and FYI, I happen to be only one of those three things). And the born-agains who should be spending more time having sympathy for all do seem equally lacking in same for those they see as "not like them."

As for fascism, though, no need to wait to "become." Here's a link that shows we (and most people in the world's "developed democracies") are already well into living under a soft fascism - in which both of our major political parties - and other key actors - are active and entrenched participants:

http://mises.org/daily/5752/The-Fascist-Threat
  • Reply 40 of 40
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Metro PCS is another.

Where did I get this info?

Dont ask.