Apple reportedly 'noodling with' 7.85-inch iPad prototype

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

why do you think the iPhone didn't get a resolution update until its 4th generation?

Because the technology didn't exist at the time as 1st gen and/or battery efficiency weren't up to the satisfaction of Apple's standard of excellence.

The same as the lack of text messaging until 3rd gen, video 3rd gen, camera flash 4th gen, etc, etc, etc.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Because the technology and battery efficiency weren't up to the satisfaction of Apple's standard of excellence.

The same as the lack of text messaging until 3rd gen, video, 3rd gen, camera flash 4th gen, etc, etc, etc.

So in 2009 Android-based phones had a higher than 480x320 resolution but Apple couldn't increase it all? Then all of a sudden in 2010 it was possible to quadruple the number of pixels?
  • Reply 63 of 89
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

But isn't 10 inches better than 7? You don't have too many ads on size reduction.

Probably but not for everyone. Why do Apple make the MBP in 3 sizes? Most people would say that 15" is the ideal size, but then others would argue that 13" is better and some would argue that 17" is better. You see my point? Not everyone has the same requirements.

Apple likes to do things in 3's. If we have a 4" iPhone/iPod, 7" iPad Mini and 10" iPad then Apple has all the bases covered.

As hmurchison says it's about keeping as many customers inside the Apple eco system as possible because once you're in there and hooked into iOS apps, iTunes, etc you're more likely to say within that eco system simply because it's easier.

The 7" Kindle Fire is a trojan horse. It gets people into the Amazon eco system. Then they start buying Android apps, Kindle books, music, etc. Once you?re in why would you then switch to an iPad if Amazon launch a 10" Kindle Fire.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    Quote:

So in 2009 Android-based phones had a higher than 480x320 resolution but Apple couldn't increase it all? Then all of a sudden in 2010 it was possible to quadruple the number of pixels?

You asked the ridiculous question why did it take so long for the iPhone to get high resolution until gen 4? and I gave you the obvious answer- it wasn't invented/ready for implentation yet.
  • Reply 65 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

But isn't 10 inches better than 7? You don't have too many ads on size reduction.

I'm appalled at such questioning!
  • Reply 66 of 89
    Quote:

You asked the ridiculous question why did it take so long for the iPhone to get high resolution until gen 4? and I gave you the obvious answer- it wasn't invented/ready for implentation yet.

Try understanding the context of what is being written. You'll go farther in life. It's be difficult at first but it will get easier.
  • Reply 67 of 89
    Quote:

Try understanding the context of what is being written. You'll go farther in life. It's be difficult at first but it will get easier.

You would be the last person to ever take advice from on how to live a life based upon all your personal attacks here on AI.
  • Reply 68 of 89
    Quote:

You would be the last person to ever take advice from on how to live a life based upon all your personal attacks here on AI.

Find one ad hominen personal attack I've made. You, Relic, and DaHarder are the one who constantly attack others. If you can't take someone pointing out the failure of your comments then don't use the Internet or try to write intelligent moments.
  • Reply 69 of 89
    Quote:

. If you can't take someone pointing out the failure of your comments then don't use the Internet or try to write intelligent moments.

Excuse me - but look in the mirror dude. I just proved the failure of your post. You're the one who can't take criticism and can never be proven wrong in your (fill in the blank) mind. You reputation speaks for itself.

You are now on my ignore list.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple should just make this the next iPhone. Then we'll see of all those fandroids with boners for 5 inch screens really want an iPhone with a bigger screen, or were just trolling and had no intention of ever buying an iPhone.

It actually makes sense. The primary use is tablet and secondary - phone - you would use speakerphone or bluetooth headset to make calls. Device like that is for people who don't use cell phone much and don't want to carry a second device.

7" Android tablets with GSM sim card already exist. Expmle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-7-Inch-A...t_12175wt_1165

This is probably piece of junk but sure sounds tempting: 7" Inch Android Tablet/GSMphone 3G for $93! There are other options and only for couple hundred bux you can get a decent (for the money) tablet/phone.
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Quote:

Excuse me - but look in the mirror dude. I just proved the failure of your post.

You reiterated my point which means you didn't comprehend what was written.

Quote:

You are now on my ignore list.

Good luck with that.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

It actually makes sense. The primary use is tablet and secondary - phone - you would use speakerphone or bluetooth headset to make calls. Device like that is for people who don't use cell phone much and don't want to carry a second device.

7" Android tablets with GSM sim card already exist. Expmle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-7-Inch-A...t_12175wt_1165

This is probably piece of junk but sure sounds tempting: 7" Inch Android Tablet/GSMphone 3G for $93! There are other options and only for couple hundred bux you can get a decent (for the money) tablet/phone.

I think you make a great argument for a larger, still pocketable device, but it's hard to see people with 7.85" iPad the same way they carry an iPhone.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

I think you make. Great argument for a lager, still pocketable device, but it's hard to see peopl with 7.85" iPads the same way they carry an iPhone.

Are you typing on your iPhone this morning with spell-check turned off? I don't think I've ever seen so many of your posts with spelling errors all in a single day.
  • Reply 74 of 89
    Quote:

I think you make. Great argument for a lager, still pocketable device, but it's hard to see peopl with 7.85" iPads the same way they carry an iPhone.

Again this is not for everyone. But a lot of people carry both a phone and a tablet. I see a lot of 6-7" Kindles and some iPads - people use on go (bus,train or office).

I would buy a hybrid 7" iPad/phone in a heartbeat. I make only 1-2 phone calls a day but I do a lot of web browsing/emailing/e-reading, so having a second device-phone for me is a bit overkill. 5.3" Samsung Note may be a solution but it's a bit too small.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Are you typing on your iPhone this morning with spell-check turned off? I don't think I've ever seen so many of your posts with spelling errors all in a single day.

LOL That is more than my usual share of typos I was at the gym and responding between sets.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Again this is not for everyone. But a lot of people carry both a phone and a tablet. I see a lot of 6-7" Kindles and some iPads - people use on go (bus,train or office).

I would buy a hybrid 7" iPad/phone in a heartbeat. I make only 1-2 phone calls a day but I do a lot of web browsing/emailing/e-reading, so having a second device-phone for me is a bit overkill. 5.3" Samsung Note may be a solution but it's a bit too small.

I certainly don't make a lot of calls but I still want the device to be pocketable. Of course, my wishes certainly don't match everyone's, and perhaps not even most, but I think it's easier to argue for a pocketable phone than one that isn't.
  • Reply 76 of 89
    DingdingdingdingDing!

We have a winner!

Quote:

I'm appalled at such questioning!

• Reply 77 of 89
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] He also suggested that the company could possibly unveil the smaller iPad at the Worldwide Developers Conference, since it's unlikely that Apple would release a 2012 iPhone at WWDC. [...]

Not sure about the mini-iPad, but it makes more sense (to me) to release this year's iPhone a few months after WWDC. It's likely that iOS 6.0 will have some major changes (including a hugely improved mapping API, obviously). And major changes mean that developers will need time to update their apps to use the new and/or updated features.
  • Reply 78 of 89
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Concur.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Not sure about the mini-iPad, but it makes more sense (to me) to release this year's iPhone a few months after WWDC. It's likely that iOS 6.0 will have some major changes (including a hugely improved mapping API, obviously). And major changes mean that developers will need time to update their apps to use the new and/or updated features.

• Reply 79 of 89
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bear View Post

What I like about the idea of 7" iPad is that it has a chance to fit in my jacket/coat pocket. The 10" iPad won't.

The many, many people I see daily on the subway happily using 6" screen tablets would agree with you.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

The many, many people I see daily on the subway happily using 6" screen tablets would agree with you.

So do I. This is 6" Kindle and 7" Playbook (sorry for the large size pictures):