Macbook OS X wont stream Netflix, help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So my friend has a 2006 Macbook (A1150) and is trying to watch netflix instant on Safari. It says Silverlight isnt working, uninstall and re install and she does and it still doesnt work. I asked her to download Firefox but that doesnt work on OSX anymore so....i have no idea if she is screwed or there is a fix or what.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,492member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post


    So my friend has a 2006 Macbook (A1150) and is trying to watch netflix instant on Safari. It says Silverlight isn't working, uninstall and re install and she does and it still doesn't work.



    We need software versions. OS, browser, Sliverlight, etc.



    Quote:

    I asked her to download Firefox but that doesnt work on OSX anymore so...



    So tell her to stop lying and download Firefox. Of course it still works!



    Or just use Safari (as it's the better browser), because we know that works.
  • m3rc natem3rc nate Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    We need software versions. OS, browser, Sliverlight, etc.







    So tell her to stop lying and download Firefox. Of course it still works!



    Or just use Safari (as it's the better browser), because we know that works.



    Ok well this is a bit confusing. I will get more information but what i know right now is she has OS-X. As for firefox, when she goes to the site and clicks download firefox, it says it doesnt work with OSX, and when i checked out the site i saw it say "requires OS 10.5 or newer" so ... but i will get more information. I dont own a apple computer so i am just working off windows experience.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,492member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post


    Ok well this is a bit confusing. I will get more information but what i know right now is she has OS-X.



    Yes, but what version? 10.4, .5, .6?



    Quote:

    ?i saw it say "requires OS 10.5 or newer"?



    So a version of 10.4, then.



    She needs to get either Leopard or Snow Leopard. She'll probably want to also buy more RAM to support that OS. Then she'll be able to get modern browsers and Silverlight, et. al.
  • m3rc natem3rc nate Posts: 97member
    Oh, well that makes sense that you need to update to keep functionality of things that progress (like websites). However i am not sure if she will go as far as getting more RAM and buying Leo/Snow Leo. Not saying that isnt the one and true answer, but i think she was hoping for a easier/cheaper solution. I'll inform her though.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,492member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post


    However i am not sure if she will go as far as getting more RAM…



    It's dirt cheap.



    Quote:

    and buying Leo/Snow Leo



    Also dirt cheap. She can't run Lion, though. Well, MAYBE. Depends on the hardware in her computer, which we don't yet know.
  • m3rc natem3rc nate Posts: 97member
    Got new info, apparently the laptop has OS-X Tiger on it. Is Leopard (or Snow Leopard) really that much beefier that it needs more RAM? Just curious, i know nothing about Mac OS
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,492member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post


    Got new info, apparently the laptop has OS-X Tiger on it. Is Leopard (or Snow Leopard) really that much beefier that it needs more RAM? Just curious, i know nothing about Mac OS



    You'll want more RAM. Just go ahead and get 3GB for it and then Snow Leopard. It'll be MUCH faster.
  • m3rc natem3rc nate Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    You'll want more RAM. Just go ahead and get 3GB for it and then Snow Leopard. It'll be MUCH faster.



    Thank you. I presume RAM from Newegg or a site like it. Any recommendations? I wont be involved in person with the installing it and like i said, no Apple experience so i have no clue what RAM is compatible or to buy. So any links to like the most popular stuff thats compatible with that year Macbook would be amazing. Thank you!



    UPDATE: I told her to click on the apple icon, and "About this Macintosh" and the memory line reads "Bank 0/ DIMM0 512 mb DDE2 SDRAM 667 MHz", and "bank 1/ DIMM1 1 Gb". So am i right in assuming that means one of her Dimms is 512mb and her second is 1Gb...totaling in 1.5Gb of RAM?

    So she would need to buy a RAM stick with 2Gb on it, to add with the 1Gb stick for a total of 3Gb. Correct?



    More info from that "About this Mac":



    MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857:



    Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857

    Revision: HAEA
  • kingofsomewherehotkingofsomewherehot Posts: 3,999member
    MORE RAM IS NOT REQUIRED !!!



    While Tallest Skil's recommendation WILL improve the experience, it is NOT a requirement.



    Let her go with just upgrading the OS so that it will work with the latest versions of browers and plugins. If, after that, she see's a performance hit, upgrade the RAM if she wants to.



    You'll notice all of TS's posts say she'll WANT to buy more RAM... not that she HAS to buy more RAM. (She probably also WANT's a goose that poops eggs of solid gold!)
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,492member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    While Tallest Skil's recommendation WILL improve the experience, it is NOT a requirement.



    I ask because I've not used it with that much: Can Snow Leopard run well on only a gig and a half?



    If so, that's awesome.
  • kingofsomewherehotkingofsomewherehot Posts: 3,999member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    I ask because I've not used it with that much: Can Snow Leopard run well on only a gig and a half?



    If so, that's awesome.



    I ran Leopard on 1.5 ... worked fine.

    Everything I've run SnowLeopard on has had at least 2GB... so I can't speak from experience with that. Apple's tech specs for SL only require 1 GB though.
  • m3rc natem3rc nate Posts: 97member
    Ok thats good to know, and makes things simpler. I will have her update the OS and down the road maybe get a 2gb stick of RAM. Sucks to not be able to help in person cause looking for RAM...i want to make triple sure im buying the right stuff but shes so non computer smart, and i know so little about Mac, that its hard to get all the info i need.



    Should she worry about any of her files or anything in the update to SL? Or will everything still be there?
  • kingofsomewherehotkingofsomewherehot Posts: 3,999member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post


    Should she worry about any of her files or anything in the update to SL? Or will everything still be there?



    The upgrade is designed to leave everything else intact... but only a fool would do an upgrade without first backing up anything of value on the system

    That said, I have NEVER had an OS upgrade do anything bad to my computers/data.
  • m3rc natem3rc nate Posts: 97member
    Oh ok, thank you. Yeah i know only a fool would, but i had to ask just because like i said, im not in person doing it myself and the friend isnt comp savy at all, so having her "save what you want to keep" might be a hassle. But i'll advise her to do it anyways.
Sign In or Register to comment.