Apple share price exceeds Google's as its market cap reaches $590 billion

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014


Apple's share price closed today above $633, making the company's shares now slightly more expensive than Google's. Apple's market cap is now over $590 billion, however, nearly three times larger than Google's.



While the two competing and collaborating tech companies now have nearly identical stock prices, Apple's has appreciated 160 percent over the last two years, compared to the roughly12 percent gain Google has realized over the same period.



Apple's market cap is now larger than the combined valuations of Google, HP, Dell, RIM, Microsoft, Nokia, AMD and Motorola Mobility, with a couple billion dollars to spare.



Five years ago, Apple's market cap was just $75.8 billion, illustrating the massive effect iPhone and other iOS devices have had on building the company's revenues, earnings and therefore market valuation.



















[ View article on AppleInsider ]

«1

Comments

  • hank_ehank_e Posts: 7member
    Roughly Drafted has become my rare delicacy (especially since posts have come to a halt).

    I loved your video posts.

    Miss you and hope you get to post on your blog sooner rather than later.
  • drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member
    Google's stock has obviously flat lined with a Rocky Road of ups and downs. Apple's Beta is 1 and Google is 1.19. Let's see what else. Google said recently they make more revenue from ad clicks from iOS devices than they do from Android devices. That's kind of strange don't cha think?
  • macquestmacquest Posts: 30member
    As an Apple employee at the time, I told 3 people to buy AAPL on Thursday April 24th of 2003, 4 days before the late Steve Jobs introduced the iTunes store on Monday April 28th 2003.



    The stock had dipped down to under $13 a share at that time because of rumors/fears that SJ was going to take Apple into the movie industry, thus deviating from it's core computer and technology product business model, because of his being the CEO of Pixar and reports of him meeting with exec's at Universal/Viacom as well as other MOVIE studios previously (Warner Bros., Sony, etc.).



    While he WAS meeting with those people at those companies, it was to negotiate for the MUSIC content at that time, NOT the MOVIE content, much less to get into PRODUCING movie content.



    My Apple ESP (Employee Stock Purchase) price at that time was just over $10 (20% discount from market value which again, was under $13).



    One of the 3 people argued with me saying "Why would I buy Apple stock for $10 a share when I can buy 10 shares of (some Chinese bean stock - seriously) at only $1 a share and have 10x more shares?!"



    "I'm not responsible for other people's lack of foresight, much less their ignorance." - ME, 2001
  • pit5000pit5000 Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post


    As an Apple employee at the time, I told 3 people to buy AAPL on Thursday April 24th of 2003, 4 days before the late Steve Jobs introduced the iTunes store on Monday April 28th 2003.



    The stock had dipped down to under $13 a share at that time because of rumors/fears that SJ was going to take Apple into the movie industry, thus deviating from it's core computer and technology product business model, because of his being the CEO of Pixar and reports of him meeting with exec's at Universal/Viacom as well as other MOVIE studios previously (Warner Bros., Sony, etc.).



    While he WAS meeting with those people at those companies, it was to negotiate for the MUSIC content at that time, NOT the MOVIE content, much less to get into PRODUCING movie content.



    My Apple ESP (Employee Stock Purchase) price at that time was just over $10 (20% discount from market value which again, was under $13).



    thats almost insider trading... but not quite there...
  • macquestmacquest Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pit5000 View Post


    thats almost insider trading... but not quite there...



    Nope.



    I didn't KNOW anything.



    I only BELIEVED in Steve Jobs, Apple, and their business model/philosophy.



    I UNDERSTOOD then why they would prevail as they have now, and FELT that windows computer manufacturers were all doomed to a mass, collective failure because they all shared the same common weak link - windows, and that is why I left Xerox as a network administrator and went to Apple to become a first generation Business Specialist in the second half of 2002.



    I've always known from my personal experience in the computer industry that: no windows = no all too common and easily preventable windows problems that windows users had/are/will complained/complain about for the past (more than a) decade and send them running to the competition: Mac.



    ...and don't even start with the "b-b-but whadabout LINUX?" crap.
  • cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    just when you think article quality cannot get any worse, DED hits one out of the field.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 7,889member
    Wow, I'm glad that I don't trade or own any Google stock. Look at their chart. It looks like a complete mess, up, down, sideways, back down again, etc.



    Apple's chart is nice and neat, it looks like a nice, almost smooth curve, rising ever higher and higher.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 7,889member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post




    My Apple ESP (Employee Stock Purchase) price at that time was just over $10 (20% discount from market value which again, was under $13).



    That's interesting. So today, an employee would have to pay around 500 for one share of AAPL if they still have that deal in place?



    Can they turn around and sell it right away? That seems like a real quick way to profit. Is there a limit on the shares they can purchase?
  • olliewalliewhiskersolliewalliewhiskers Posts: 434member
    sure, it looks good... but this is really meaningless.
  • jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,028member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    That's interesting. So today, an employee would have to pay around 500 for one share of AAPL if they still have that deal in place?



    Can they turn around and sell it right away? That seems like a real quick way to profit. Is there a limit on the shares they can purchase?



    I know for my company, you have to take it out of your paycheck to pay for stock and you have to keep it for 6 months. I'm sure it's similar for Apple and other companies. They aren't going to allow you to invest "outside" money at the discounted share price.
  • constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Steve Ballmer said something to the effect of, "iPhone market share is a rounding error and I like our strategy a lot." I rest my case. It's rather amazing that Apple's iPhone business is worth more than all of Microsoft.
  • conwaycfconwaycf Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post


    Steve Ballmer said something to the effect of, "iPhone market share is a rounding error and I like our strategy a lot." I rest my case. It's rather amazing that Apple's iPhone business is worth more than all of Microsoft.



    Awesome! If only more people appreciated how amazing this is, especially if it was predicted at the launch of the first iPhone. Everyone would have laughed in your face, including me.
  • redbarchettaredbarchetta Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Wow, I'm glad that I don't trade or own any Google stock. Look at their chart. It looks like a complete mess, up, down, sideways, back down again, etc.



    Kind of like how Apple was for most of its life
  • desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    keep buying. the stock is still undervalued - if you buy under $666/share and it hits $1000/share in 12 months that's an insane 50% annual ROI. [and the value of my shares will continue to climb. WHEEEEE!]
  • suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,052member
    Quote:

    Apple share price exceeds Google's as its market cap reaches $590 billion



    C'mon people. Does everything between Apple and Google have to be a competition?

    (Yes, it does )
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


    Google's stock has obviously flat lined with a Rocky Road of ups and downs. Apple's Beta is 1 and Google is 1.19. Let's see what else. Google said recently they make more revenue from ad clicks from iOS devices than they do from Android devices. That's kind of strange don't cha think?



    That's the risk of making advertising your business model, instead of highly desirable hardware and software.
  • lkrupplkrupp Posts: 3,868member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post


    sure, it looks good... but this is really meaningless.



    Apparently there are whole bunch of stupid people who think because Google's stock price is/was higher than Apple's that meant Google is/was winning. One of those stupid people is the author of this article apparently.
  • wovelwovel Posts: 949member
    I understand the point the story is making, but Apple shares remain far less expensive than Google shares...
  • macquestmacquest Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post


    Kind of like how Apple was for most of its life



    If by "Kind of like how Apple was for most of it's life" you mean "until early 2003 up until the iTunes Store was introduced", then you're correct.



    AAPL has had a pretty steady upward trajectory for the past 9 years.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post


    I understand the point the story is making, but Apple shares remain far less expensive than Google shares...



    I'd say Apple's shares are more valuable than Google's.
Sign In or Register to comment.