Samsung announces estimated $40B in revenue, $5B in profit for Q1 2012

Comments

• Reply 81 of 227
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Only in a delusional mind could the word "significantly" be used to replace "MUCH" with those sad pathetic numbers.

It is actually changed "significantly". The trend change from 1.5% to 3.2% is more then doubled for Android. It is significant considering fierce competition, short time frame (a quarter) and recent iPhone release.

Going further. If you compare current numbers with this statistics http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/t...ndroids-121021

from last July when Android had 42% of the market share, with Apple's iOS at 27%.

Now Android at 50% of the market share, with Apple's iOS at 30%.

So I think it is fair to say that the gap widened significantly just in a few month and in spite of recent iPhone update.
  • Reply 82 of 227
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthnicklas View Post

I am.

Copying Apple really pays off.

Not just that, Apple gave them billions by not selling the iphone 3GS worldwide...

Apple is their best "worker" by directly handing them the low end market!!!

Thanks for the truckloads of money, best wishes from Samsung!!!
  • Reply 83 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

It is actually changed "significantly". The trend change from 1.5% to 3.2% is more then doubled for Android. It is significant considering fierce competition, short time frame (a quarter) and recent iPhone release.

Going further. If you compare current numbers with this statistics http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/t...ndroids-121021

from last July when Android had 42% of the market share, with Apple's iOS at 27%.

Now Android at 50% of the market share, with Apple's iOS at 30%.

So I think it is fair to say that the gap widened significantly just in a few month and in spite of recent iPhone update.

With those numbers, yes, you could say "significantly in that timeframe", but, as I stated... not with the numbers from the other link.

The numbers from the other link show that Android's march has significantly slowed down.

... and, we still have to remember that this is one against many.
  • Reply 84 of 227
    AI member vs. AI member.

Winner?

AI Ad analytics.
  • Reply 85 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

AI member vs. AI member.

Winner?

AI Ad analytics.

As an AI member I feel it is my duty to increase my post count in any way possible.
  • Reply 86 of 227
    mj4ev3rmj4ev3r Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John F. View Post

My brother's Samsung Android phone constantly freezes, or slows to a halt. Can't fix the problem. Also never gets any updates from Samsung. You buy cheap Samsung phones, you only get the Android OS that's on it without any updates. That's . At least with Apple you get 3 years support. The new iOS won't always run fast, but at least there's software updates. If you buy Android, you can only hope for support, and sometimes you get an update, but mostly not.

Samsung makes money by fooling the consumer. Buy this new shiny toy that's better because of big screen, and Super AMOLED screen, etc. Not telling you that your Christmas gift comes with no software updates in the future. That's not customer building, that's going for fast and easy profits.

Koreans are notorious in doing that--look at their Kia, Hyundai cars, Korean-made appliances, etc.--they always have very attractive design on the outside with some cute accessories thrown in as baits...very appealing to the eyes, but their engines, appliance motors and construction are extremely mediocre and so the products only last for a few years when it starts to break down--they are just appealing, yet highly disposable items--NOT long-term investment items at all--Korean-made products are the products you buy for instant gratification--nice-looking and cheap BUT extremely flimsy!
  • Reply 87 of 227
    No complaints here.

Quote:

As an AI member I feel it is my duty to increase my post count in any way possible.

• Reply 88 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

Koreans are notorious in doing that--look at their Kia, Hyundai cars, Korean-made appliances, etc.--they always have very attractive design on the outside with some cute accessories thrown in as baits...very appealing to the eyes, but their engines, appliance motors and construction are extremely mediocre and so the products only last for a few years when it starts to break down--they are just appealing, yet highly disposable items--NOT long-term investment items at all--Korean-made products are the products you buy for instant gratification--nice-looking and cheap BUT extremely flimsy!

On the one hand there seems to be some cheap Korean products and I'm sure most of us have heard the horror stories, but at the same time, as mentioned before, Koreans have the ability to build some extremely reliable products. It seems to depend on who is doing the qc and also how much you are wiling to pay.

[Sadly, it appears that a lot of people would like to pay less for products in the short run, even if it means more expense over the long run. This in turn has put a lot of the best quality manufacturing out of business.]
  • Reply 89 of 227
    Quote:

On the one hand there seems to be some cheap Korean products and I'm sure most of us have heard the horror stories, but at the same time, as mentioned before, Koreans have the ability to build some extremely reliable products. It seems to depend on who is doing the qc and also how much you are wiling to pay.

I am talking about in general, NOT the exemptions!
  • Reply 90 of 227
    Imagine that. Kinda like a bunch of riffraffs ganging up on one person and still get their ass*s kicked.

Quote:

With those numbers, yes, you could say "significantly in that timeframe", but, as I stated... not with the numbers from the other link.

The numbers from the other link show that Android's march has significantly slowed down.

... and, we still have to remember that this is one against many.

• Reply 91 of 227
    Quote:

I am talking about in general, NOT the exemptions!

If that is the case then fortunately for Samsung there are a lot of people willing to pay less to get less.
  • Reply 92 of 227
    Quote:

... and who started this.

Super lame.

Yet another IKYABWAI?
  • Reply 93 of 227
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Not so true if you look at recent ratings. This one puts both Hyundai and Kia in the world-wide top ten for reliability:

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/03/...turers-247619/
  • Reply 94 of 227
    Quote:

If that is the case then fortunately for Samsung there are a lot of people willing to pay less to get less.

So true--ones that can not really afford QUALITY--people that will settle for BMW look-a-likes, iPhone look-a-likes, etc.--in other word, CHEAP copycats!
  • Reply 95 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Apple sells more smartphones than any other consumer gadget company.

Apple sells more apps than any other app store.

Apple sells more tablets than any other gadget company.

Are you certain that you want to go down this road?

Yes, let's go down that road, shall we?

Apple does not sell low-end smartphones. Even the 3GS (Apple's poorest seller by a long shot and a phone almost 3 years old) is superior to many brand new, just announced Android phones. Would you buy a brand new phone with a 1/4 VGA screen running Eclair? They're out there and they sell like hotcakes.

Apple does not sell $200 tablets. Apple does not sell tablets that aren't allowed to access the App Store because they don't meet the minimum requirements to do so.

Apple does not sell brand new devices with iOS 3.0 or iOS 4.0 installed. Android sells tons of products with Gingerbread, Froyo and even Eclair.

Apps. Seriously? Are you going to imply the App Store is successful because they sell "crap" software and there's nothing of value?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

But in the meantime, Android is killing iOS phones in volume **snip**

These are just facts. They cannot be denied.

Why are you avoiding the topic at hand? The only reason they sell more is because they sell lots of cheap devices. Are you going to tell me I'm wrong and that Android market share is made up primarily of $600 phones and $500 tablets?
  • Reply 96 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not so true if you look at recent ratings. This one puts both Hyundai and Kia in the world-wide top ten for reliability:

SEE how the scores of Kia and Hyundai went down dramatically as the cars get older--they are just good for a maximum 5 years, and then they go straight to the junk yard, whereas a BMW/Toyota can run forever for their great engines and engineering--AND that explains WHY--Korean products have NO RESALE VALUE!
  • Reply 97 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Imagine that. Kinda like a bunch of riffraffs ganging up on one person and still get their ass*s kicked.

... and I still believe that the ass kicking has just started. "If" Apple brings out an iPhone with a slightly larger screen then imho more people will be interested in that product... keeping in mind that the 4S will most likely be discounted (and possibly even updated) and the 4 will be discounted even further.

Samsung and the rest have limited themselves in their ability to physically change their phones. Screen size... done that. Increased ram... done that. Processor speed... done that. ... and still Apple keeps gaining while Android's gains have slowed.

Apple on the other hand can increase the size, and the physical appearance changes dramatically... and in a beautiful way that only Apple seems able.
  • Reply 98 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Why are you avoiding the topic at hand? The only reason they sell more is because they sell lots of cheap devices. Are you going to tell me I'm wrong and that Android market share is made up primarily of $600 phones and $500 tablets?

I don't remember any breakdown being done in that manner. So neither of us know the reality of the situation.

But the best-selling Android phones are reported to be the high-end ones.
  • Reply 99 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Going by anecdotal evidence I would tend to agree with Hyundai... but I've heard too many nightmare stories about Kia to make me shy away from them. I sometimes wonder where these reliability ratings come from.
  • Reply 100 of 227
    Quote:

Samsung and the rest have limited themselves in their ability to physically change their phones. Screen size... done that. Increased ram... done that. Processor speed... done that. ... and still Apple keeps gaining while Android's gains have slowed.

Apple on the other hand can increase the size, and the physical appearance changes dramatically... and in a beautiful way that only Apple seems able.

You seem to be saying that Apple is going to catch up in the future. That reminds me of a classic Dilbert strip: