Users report 3G connection issues with Apple's new iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014


Some owners of Apple's new iPad have begun reporting connectivity issues with the LTE-capable model, stating that the device loses a 3G connection and won't reconnect without a hard reset.



Users with the issue have over the last week in a growing thread at the Apple Support Communities website. Most of the users who have posted appear to be international users attempting to connect to 3G networks, rather than the 4G LTE speeds available in the U.S.



User "NewForce" suggested that the issue lies either in iOS 5.1 or the Qualcomm chipset Apple has utilized in the new iPad. They said they tried a number of remedies, including resetting settings and replacing the SIM card, but nothing solved the problem except for cycling the power on the iPad between 3 and 5 times each day.



Users reporting issues say that the problem is specific to the new iPad. Many posting on Apple's website owned previous-generation 3G models and did not have the same connectivity bugs.



Those sharing the problem come from a variety of international countries, including Austria, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Norway, Poland, the U.K., Singapore, Spain and Italy. In addition, a handful of people from the U.S., like user "rodzs," have also joined the discussion, though there seem to be fewer problems for American users.











"I live in northern Wisconsin and while I'm at home and the surrounding areas it works, but then the minute I am in extended coverage it doesn't work!!" they wrote. "Like many of you I tried resetting pretty much everything and nothing. I went to a Verizon store and tried to tell them that something is wrong with it and they pretty much told me that it was because when it is in extended coverage it might not work because of reception."



AppleInsider was first to report in March on an unrelated Wi-Fi reception issue some users have seen with the new iPad. Those people have complained that wireless reception with the new model is notably inferior than with Apple's previous models.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

«134

Comments

  • eastmaneastman Posts: 8member
    yeah i have that problem .. sometimes a switching on and off of the 3g/4g connection helps ..



    Wish to have it sorted soon .. cos its annoying !



    Still love my New iPad .. but the battery is also damn slow to recharge ..
  • zozmanzozman Posts: 389member
    it seems to be an iOS 5.1 issue, i have setup 30 ipad 2s at work, abunch had this issue & my new ipad also gets it too
  • dolphin0611dolphin0611 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eastman View Post


    yeah i have that problem .. sometimes a switching on and off of the 3g/4g connection helps ..



    Wish to have it sorted soon .. cos its annoying !



    Still love my New iPad .. but the battery is also damn slow to recharge ..



    May I ask, how long does it take to recharge? And are you using the new iPad lead or an iPhone or older iPad lead? Maybe Apple should think of new ways of recharging, especially the new iPad, than by just using a USB type lead? Overnight it's not a problem, but if we need to recharge during the day, it can be an inconvenience, right?
  • walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    "Those sharing the problem come from a variety of international countries,"



    Glad it wasn't any of those pesky domestic countries.
  • maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.

    The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.

    Apple can go to hell on this one.
  • palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,139member
    This happens to my iPhone 4S too a lot lately.. I need to restart it like once or twice a week.
  • postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post


    Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.

    The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.

    Apple can go to hell on this one.



    The battery doesn't charge when plugged in? How do you charge it then?
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eastman View Post


    Still love my New iPad .. but the battery is also damn slow to recharge ..



    No, that is just an artifact of the superior charging system. I think you will find that when the battery indicator says 100%, the iPad will give you the advertised uptime. After that, it trickle charges and discharges to protect your battery, which is a great and innovative feature.



    It does NOT take too long to charge, that is just the tech press trying to get clickbait.
  • haarhaar Posts: 520member
    Originally Posted by maccherry

    Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.

    The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.

    Apple can go to hell on this one.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    The battery doesn't charge when plugged in? How do you charge it then?



    now that's funny!



    but, i think he means while he using it... (though who knows he could be using the iPod charger instead of the iPad charger)
  • melgrossmelgross Posts: 28,738member, moderator
    I haven't had these problems yet.



    But the battery charge is limited by the USB connection. As it is, Apple is well over USB's 5 watt limit with their 10 watt charger. I don't know what they can do about that. It would entail a major redesign of the port and internal wiring. In addition, the faster a battery charges, the hotter it gets. With people complaining that this gets warm, I don't see a way around it.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolphin0611 View Post


    May I ask, how long does it take to recharge?



    About 50% longer. Remember, the battery is 70% larger. It's not an ideal situation but ideal is the battery never needing to be charged during the life of the product. That display and it's associated components far outweigh any step back in weight, thickness, or charging time.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post


    but, i think he means while he using it... (though who knows he could be using the iPod charger instead of the iPad charger)



    I was playing Kingdom Rush for a way too long yesterday. Very addictive. Anyway, I started using it when my iPad was at 20% and it stayed at 205 the entire time. The draw, for that game, was right in line with the charging.
  • majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    The battery doesn't charge when plugged in? How do you charge it then?



    It sounds like his ipad IS charging, just not at a fast enough rate to maintain its on state. Could be an issue with the charger, I've had it happen to an old car USB charger before.
  • gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post


    but, i think he means while he using it... (though who knows he could be using the iPod charger instead of the iPad charger)



    That's the way I read it. He says his iPad discharges faster than he can charge it, shutting down even when plugged in, altho I would think it would have to be in unusually heavy use and not something common.
  • irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,429member
    Have the iPad 2 and iPad 3rd gen both on Orange in the UK, no issues with 3G connection. I turn off the cellular data when at home and enable it when I'm out and it always connects.



    Battery charges in a little over 4 hours on the iPad 2 and a little over 6 hours on the 3rd gen iPad. Not a problem as I it lasts all of my waking day and then some when under heavy use. Both iPads charge quite happily from the supplied 10w charger or from the Macbook Pro.
  • muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post


    Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.

    The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.

    Apple can go to hell on this one.



    Perhaps you have a faulty charger, or a faulty iPad? Or perhaps you are correct, and Apple forgot to include a battery charging capability when they designed it.
  • wimacwimac Posts: 3member
    I've had a ticket open with Verizon since March 6th on this very issue. I live in Central Wisconsin and am a Verizon subscriber. While in Central Wisconsin, I am using Verizon's Extended Network--which is 3G. I finally had my issue escalated to the network/tower tech's and they indicated to me that they have a ticket open with Apple. The problem explained to me is that iOS 5.1 is not structuring the authentication appropriately with the 3G network. As others report, it works just fine as long as you're in "Verizon (not Extended) 3G" or Verizon LTE.



    My iPad has no network connectivity in my home area until this is resolved by Apple.
  • rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    I have worked with many iPad alarm systems at best buy and I see the charging issue quite frequently. It seems the iPad outputs much more power (given the iPad almost has double the battery capacity) than the charging source inputs, thus, while the iPad is running, or being used, it shuts down due to the input power not being sufficient enough to keep the iPad running. The people at work said "well, it works when you turn it off." yeah cuz the output power is nonexistent.



    As for 3G issues, I have had no problem with my Verizon iPad whatsoever. Smokin fast. Loving the $20 a month option as opposed to the MANDATORY $30 price tag Verizon puts on smart phones
  • jodyfanningjodyfanning Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    Have the iPad 2 and iPad 3rd gen both on Orange in the UK, no issues with 3G connection. I turn off the cellular data when at home and enable it when I'm out and it always connects.



    Battery charges in a little over 4 hours on the iPad 2 and a little over 6 hours on the 3rd gen iPad. Not a problem as I it lasts all of my waking day and then some when under heavy use. Both iPads charge quite happily from the supplied 10w charger or from the Macbook Pro.



    Why do you bother doing that? The iPad should automatically switch to known Wi-Fi networks anyway, so there is no point.



    But in any case mine has this problem (Finland). Works perfectly on Wi-Fi, but will not connect to 3G unless it is rebooted first.
  • mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,459member
    Apple deleted the discussion thread? I'm getting this when trying to click the link in the AI article:



    Quote:

    It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake.



  • muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post


    I have worked with many iPad alarm systems at best buy and I see the charging issue quite frequently. It seems the iPad outputs much more power (given the iPad almost has double the battery capacity) than the charging source inputs, thus, while the iPad is running, or being used, it shuts down due to the input power not being sufficient enough to keep the iPad running. The people at work said "well, it works when you turn it off." yeah cuz the output power is nonexistent.




    That doesn't quite seem right. The iPad lasts around 9 - 10 hours in normal use, and charges from dead in under 6 hours with the 10 W charger. That implies that the charging rate exceeds the discharging rate in normal use.



    And that is consistent with the behavior of my iPad - even when only plugged in to a USB port, while the iPad reports "not charging", its battery level does not fall when being used.



    Possibly some of the more CPU-intensive games can push the discharge rate above even the 10 W charge rate, but that should be reflected in a much diminished battery life.
Sign In or Register to comment.