Users report 3G connection issues with Apple's new iPad

24

Comments

  • muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Apple deleted the discussion thread? I'm getting this when trying to click the link in the AI article:



    No - it's still there.
  • mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


    No - it's still there.



    That's weird. I logged in and still can't view it.
  • angry_lyradangry_lyrad Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    That's weird. I logged in and still can't view it.



    Yep I have noticed ths too they seem to deleting most of the posts reporting this problem, their was this one earlier https://discussions.apple.com/message/18056394#18056394 which had a list of people with the same problem and they wher in the hundreds



    I have had this problem since launch day on my 32gb 4g in the uk
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    That's the way I read it. He says his iPad discharges faster than he can charge it, shutting down even when plugged in, altho I would think it would have to be in unusually heavy use and not something common.



    It's not hard to figure out.



    The new iPad lasts around 10 hours on a full charge for typical light usage. It takes around 10 hours to charge.



    So if the usage is 'typical light usage' (or whatever usage they used for their 10 hour test), then the usage will occur at the same rate as the charging - so the percentage full would not change.



    If they're using more than the test usage (which could be true if you use LTE or are playing games), then it will drain the battery faster than it can charge. The heavier the usage, the greater the difference.
  • macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Here we go with the we-need-eyeballs hysteria used by newsrooms everywhere: One user in northeastern Madagascar reports a slowdown of 0.0053 kb/sec in his 3G connection and it's suddenly "iPad has serious issues with 3G. Is this the end of Apple as we know it? Has the Fruit lost its luster? Story at 8."
  • mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,559member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post


    Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.

    The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.

    Apple can go to hell on this one.



    I had a friend who reacted to everything like this. Never made any sense to me. If I buy something and it doesn't work the way it should, I always take it back and get it checked and/or replaced. My friend would just get upset and make the assumption that that's the way they all work and not that his might be a defective unit, which, you know, happens when things are mass-produced.
  • mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,559member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eastman View Post


    yeah i have that problem .. sometimes a switching on and off of the 3g/4g connection helps ..



    Wish to have it sorted soon .. cos its annoying !



    It's more than likely a driver issue which I'm sure they'll work out soon. Sometimes it sucks to be the first to use a device with newer components.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eastman View Post


    .. but the battery is also damn slow to recharge ..



    It's a much higher capacity battery (almost double the battery in the original iPad and iPad 2). It's going to take longer to charge.
  • mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post


    It's a much higher capacity battery (almost double the battery in the original iPad and iPad 2). It's going to take longer to charge.



    Since the battery is so much larger, then why didn't they stick in a higher Watt charger? You nearly double the capacity of the battery, you should upgrade the charger as well.



    The damn thing has a bigger battery than the 11" MacBook Air (and nearly as large as the 13" model), yet the MacBook Airs come with a 45W charger...



    They could have at least bumped the charger up to 20 or 25 instead of making us suffer with long charging times. I plugged my iPad 3 in at 12:30AM (35%) this morning and woke up at 7:20. The damn thing was only at 88% charge. Pathetic.
  • azreospecialistazreospecialist Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post


    Originally Posted by maccherry

    Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.

    The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.

    Apple can go to hell on this one.







    now that's funny!



    but, i think he means while he using it... (though who knows he could be using the iPod charger instead of the iPad charger)



    Wow, you seem to be taking this a little too personally... Good thing you returned your iPad, no sense in getting a heart attack over it. Mine is working great!
  • brentrnbrentrn Posts: 1member
    I got a Verizon LTE iPad and had cellular connectivity issues from the first day. After going to both Apple and Verizon and being told I just was out of range I did some tests. To test their hypothesis I drove to three nearby states and tried connecting outdoors in strong signal areas. Even with 5 bars and LTE I would get "No connection to the Internet". It would sometimes connect but be incredibly slow (like 120 kbs download, 3 kbs upload slow).



    I demonstrated this issue at the Apple Store and they replaced the iPad, but we reused the SIM. The new one worked great. Then later I would find instances of trying to reconnect and getting the "no Internet" warning even though signal strength was 5 bars. In most cases a restart of the iPad does the trick and all works fine.



    Could this issue be related to the SIM, or is this just a problem with these iPads at this time?
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Since the battery is so much larger, then why didn't they stick in a higher Watt charger? You nearly double the capacity of the battery, you should upgrade the charger as well.



    The damn thing has a bigger battery than the 11" MacBook Air (and nearly as large as the 13" model), yet the MacBook Airs come with a 45W charger...



    They could have at least bumped the charger up to 20 or 25 instead of making us suffer with long charging times. I plugged my iPad 3 in at 12:30AM (35%) this morning and woke up at 7:20. The damn thing was only at 88% charge. Pathetic.



    Except for one thing - USB is limited in how much power it can deliver (5W, IIRC). And if they violate the USB limits by issuing a 25 watt charger, then people who use it on their iPhones could damage them.



    Most people charge their iPad overnight and never drain their iPad completely dry so 6 hours vs 10 hours for a full charge isn't a big deal. Just another silly trumped up nonsense complaint.
  • mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Most people charge their iPad overnight and never drain their iPad completely dry so 6 hours vs 10 hours for a full charge isn't a big deal. Just another silly trumped up nonsense complaint.



    Wow, so you now speak for everyone and it's no big deal



    Typical. You just have to love how any possible criticism is labeled as "no big deal" or "nonsense".
  • fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Wow, so you now speak for everyone and it's no big deal



    Typical. You just have to love how any possible criticism is labeled as "no big deal" or "nonsense".



    There seems to be a lot of fanboys on here that cannot accept any criticism of Apple or admit there may be a problem with Apple hardware. \



    While the charging issue may not be a big deal to many people who let their iPad charge overnight, it may be a problem to others who are heavy users of the iPad and need the charger to keep up.
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Wow, so you now speak for everyone and it's no big deal



    Typical. You just have to love how any possible criticism is labeled as "no big deal" or "nonsense".



    No, only the ones that are no big deal or nonsense are labeled as 'no big deal' or 'nonsense'.



    The fact that it takes 10 hours to go from completely drained to completely charged will affect an insignificant number of people (certainly no one that I know and it's hard to imagine why it would be a big deal for anyone). But if it's not suitable for you, then you simply don't buy it.



    Apple is wise enough to realize that there will be some PIA people who will be unhappy no matter what you do so there's no point in trying to please everyone. Go buy something else.
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faZZter View Post


    There seems to be a lot of fanboys on here that cannot accept any criticism of Apple or admit there may be a problem with Apple hardware. \



    Not true at all. There are, however, several people here who point out how stupid some of the ridiculous complaints are.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faZZter View Post


    While the charging issue may not be a big deal to many people who let their iPad charge overnight, it may be a problem to others who are heavy users of the iPad and need the charger to keep up.



    I'd be interested in what the usage scenario is that will cause this problem. Please be specific.



    Let's take an example. iPad takes 10 hours to drain under 'normal' usage and recharges in 10 hours. Now, let's say that you're playing heavy games that drain it twice as fast. So if you ran it off battery, it would drain in 5 hours. But if you leave it plugged in, you would have 10 hours of non-stop heavy game usage before the battery is drained, and then you go to bed and when you wake up you can do the same thing tomorrow.



    Just how many people will that not be sufficient for - and why should Apple design a product that's ridiculous overkill for 99.9999% of users to make an insignificant number happy. Oh, and btw, good luck finding any other tablets that would satisfy these people any better.
  • misamisa Posts: 700member
    I think the problem might be overblown.



    I've had no problem getting LTE to work on Rogers, but if I turn off LTE, the 3G network doesn't seem to work, but if I restart the iPad, it then works, even if I turn the LTE back on. The thing to point out here is that Rogers has different APN's for their LTE and their 3G system, so what is VERY likely happening is that the sessions are being dropped since the APN's switch. If it hasn't been powered on in 3G mode, it might not have the APN for 3G programmed. So the solution is to power cycle it once in 3G and once in LTE so you have both APN's programmed.



    At least that explains the drop on Rogers. Rogers APN Comparison, Rogers has one additional APN called GoRogers that is used on mobile phones "non-tetherable" mode. What's interesting is how internet.com and rogers-core-appl1.apn actually differ, despite being connected to the same tower.



    AT&T, I traveled to Seattle but there is no LTE down there. Using a AT&T sim card, I was not able to get any speed resembling what I was getting in Canada. Rogers I can get 20Mbps, but AT&T I was hard pressed to even get 7. It seems that maybe Seattle's AT&T "4G" non-LTE service is only Release 5 HSDPA (7.2Mbps.) Or in other worse, it just shows "4G" when you have a AT&T sim card, even if you're not on LTE.



  • mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Not true at all. There are, however, several people here who point out how stupid some of the ridiculous complaints are.







    I'd be interested in what the usage scenario is that will cause this problem. Please be specific.



    Let's take an example. iPad takes 10 hours to drain under 'normal' usage and recharges in 10 hours. Now, let's say that you're playing heavy games that drain it twice as fast. So if you ran it off battery, it would drain in 5 hours. But if you leave it plugged in, you would have 10 hours of non-stop heavy game usage before the battery is drained, and then you go to bed and when you wake up you can do the same thing tomorrow.



    Just how many people will that not be sufficient for - and why should Apple design a product that's ridiculous overkill for 99.9999% of users to make an insignificant number happy. Oh, and btw, good luck finding any other tablets that would satisfy these people any better.



    The problem with people like you is that you seem so militant and antagonistic towards people who have a complaint. Instead of acknowledging it or being nice, you belittle people and tell them that here concerns are nonsense or don't matter. That's not how a receptive community acts. It breeds contempt and negativity.



    If someone brings up an issue that seems to paint Apple in a negative light, there are those that are tripping over themselves to say that Apple is always right and your usage case scenario is wrong. Are we here to be a community or sing Apple's praises?



    As for me, I'm currently at the beach sitting on the couch with my iPad. It's been cold and rainy for the past few days so we've been "shut in". My iPhone is plugged into the wall and I'm using it as a hotspot for my iPad. It was at 88% this morning (because it couldn't top off the battery in 7 hours), but now is down to about 30%. I've been doing work, email, playing Angry Birds, and finished watching "Leon: The Professional".



    By the end of the night, this thing is going to be below 10% or dead.



    As for plugging it in while using it, I can't ergonomically use my iPad when is charging -- the damn cord gets in my way, especially when playing games. The only time I plug it in is when I'm not using it. Being physically "tethered" with such a mobile device is confining.



    If I plug it in again tonight while I'm sleeping, it won't even have a full charge (again) for a full days worth of use when I wake up at 7 tomorrow morning.



    My iPad 3 is the only mobile device (we have two MacBook Airs, two iPhones, and this iPad) that I have that takes this long to charge and TO ME, it's annoying. I don't think I'm being unreasonable, just stating my opinion.



    Just for once, I'd like to be able to state my true feelings about an Apple product without someone acting like I'm pissing on Steve Jobs' gravestone.
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    The problem with people like you is that you seem so militant and antagonistic towards people who have a complaint. Instead of acknowledging it or being nice, you belittle people and tell them that here concerns are nonsense or don't matter. That's not how a receptive community acts. It breeds contempt and negativity.



    If someone brings up an issue that seems to paint Apple in a negative light, there are those that are tripping over themselves to say that Apple is always right and your usage case scenario is wrong. Are we here to be a community or sing Apple's praises?



    That's not what happens at all.



    Someone brings up some trivial little matter that might affect 3 people on the entire planet and acts like it's the end of the world. Then people point out that their complaints are silly.



    If your complaint had any validity, then they would get due consideration.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    As for me, I'm currently at the beach sitting on the couch with my iPad. It's been cold and rainy for the past few days so we've been "shut in". My iPhone is plugged into the wall and I'm using it as a hotspot for my iPad. It was at 88% this morning (because it couldn't top off the battery in 7 hours), but now is down to about 30%. I've been doing work, email, playing Angry Birds, and finished watching "Leon: The Professional".



    By the end of the night, this thing is going to be below 10% or dead.



    As for plugging it in while using it, I can't ergonomically use my iPad when is charging -- the damn cord gets in my way, especially when playing games. The only time I plug it in is when I'm not using it. Being physically "tethered" with such a mobile device is confining.



    So you expect to use an iPad all day long on the beach without fully charging it and that's Apple's fault?



    I guess Apple should be concerned about people who work 24 hour shifts and want to operate their device all day long without putting it down for a second, too.



    Here's a hint: battery powered devices have a finite amount of charge. If you're unwilling to leave it plugged in because it's inconvenient, that's too bad.



    And which competitive products are going to be any better?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    If I plug it in again tonight while I'm sleeping, it won't even have a full charge (again) for a full days worth of use when I wake up at 7 tomorrow morning.



    So go to bed before midnight. :roll eyes:



    It's simple. It takes 10 hours to get a full charge. If you want a full charge, leave it plugged in long enough. The problem with your complaint is that even if Apple made the device run 20 hours on a full charge which only took 15 minutes, someone would be complaining that it wasn't good enough.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    My iPad 3 is the only mobile device (we have two MacBook Airs, two iPhones, and this iPad) that I have that takes this long to charge and TO ME, it's annoying. I don't think I'm being unreasonable, just stating my opinion.



    Just for once, I'd like to be able to state my true feelings about an Apple product without someone acting like I'm pissing on Steve Jobs' gravestone.



    State your true feelings all you want. Just stop acting like your demands are typical.
  • mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    That's not what happens at all.



    Someone brings up some trivial little matter that might affect 3 people on the entire planet and acts like it's the end of the world. Then people point out that their complaints are silly.



    If your complaint had any validity, then they would get due consideration.







    So you expect to use an iPad all day long on the beach without fully charging it and that's Apple's fault?



    I guess Apple should be concerned about people who work 24 hour shifts and want to operate their device all day long without putting it down for a second, too.



    Here's a hint: battery powered devices have a finite amount of charge. If you're unwilling to leave it plugged in because it's inconvenient, that's too bad.



    And which competitive products are going to be any better?







    So go to bed before midnight. :roll eyes:



    It's simple. It takes 10 hours to get a full charge. If you want a full charge, leave it plugged in long enough. The problem with your complaint is that even if Apple made the device run 20 hours on a full charge which only took 15 minutes, someone would be complaining that it wasn't good enough.







    State your true feelings all you want. Just stop acting like your demands are typical.



    You see what I'm talking about? I state my case and you get defensive and start talking about how I'm not going to get it any better with a competitor or talk about how I'm one of maybe three in the world with a problem. Did I kick your dog or something?



    All I said was that I wish it charged faster. That's it. Good grief. Youd think that I asked to split the atom or something. No device is perfect. I just said I wish that it charged faster. I have no qualms with the battery life.



    There is no immediate fix for the charging issue, but I'm sure that Apple will tackle it in the future. There's nothing wring with bringing up the issue and discussing it.
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    You see what I'm talking about? I state my case and you get defensive and start talking about how I'm not going to get it any better with a competitor or talk about how I'm one of maybe three in the world with a problem. Did I kick your dog or something?



    All I said was that I wish it charged faster. That's it. Good grief. Youd think that I asked to split the atom or something. No device is perfect. I just said I wish that it charged faster. I have no qualms with the battery life.



    There is no immediate fix for the charging issue, but I'm sure that Apple will tackle it in the future. There's nothing wring with bringing up the issue and discussing it.



    I wish my car got 150 miles per gallon and accelerated from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds and made women attack me in the street. If it doesn't do that, it would be foolish to complain about it.



    REASONABLE complaints are one thing. Asking for the sun and moon and stars and complaining when Apple doesn't provide it isn't reasonable.
Sign In or Register to comment.