HTC profits collapse 70% in face of competition from Apple, Samsung

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

And the reason why HTC is failing in the smartphone market is because it manufactures 6x different models and types of android phones, if they wanted to emulate Apple, they would have only one model and make it the best phone they can make.

They heard you before you spoke. This year they are releasing three phones - one in each of three different price brackets.

Problem is, they will probably be repackaged at request of US carriers and will look like 10 phones instead of three.

That is what apple did well limiting themselves to one carrier in the beginning. A new phone would not have had the clout to not be branded and made different by multiple carriers. By the time they dropped their exclusivity, they were in such demand that apple called the shots, not the carriers.
  • Reply 42 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Samsung is going to become the de facto Android handset manufacturer. Google's only hardware partner that matters.

LG is losing money, Sony is irrelevant, HTC was hanging in there but the trend is bad, Moto will make low selling reference handsets for Google's pointless efforts to take control back of their platform.

Samsung will feel they have earned the right to treat Android as their own, modifying as they see fit, and certainly moving to bring former Google services in house (think their recent ad initiative). No, they won't be as good, but as the only viable Android partner, what can anyone do? I think Android will become as much Samsung's as Google's, if not more.

There, you just made Motorola cry. Are you happy now?
  • Reply 43 of 113
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Strange to see so much negativity about HTC here, of all the Android manufacturers they were one of very few that actually tried to make more of their phones than just the generic crap that most of the others sell, or the iPhone clone business that Samsung runs. HTC had some very nice designs, usually good hardware, and their Sense skin was actually pretty tolerable and not a complete rip-off of something else. For example the Legend was actually a very nice phone, one of the only phones to date that had an aluminum uni-body design. Sadly their last few phones got progressively worse.

I don't really see myself buying an Android phone any time soon, but if I were forced to choose one, it would probably be a HTC. Samsung is now officially the only Android vendor left that actually makes a profit off of Android, but if you ask me, they are the one company that least deserves to. The only reason they are doing well is because of the enormous scale and volume they are shifting, not because they actually tried anything innovative. Except the Galaxy Note maybe, you could call that monstrosity 'innovative', just not in a good way.
  • Reply 44 of 113
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    HTC was good at the start from windows mobile phones to android. Lately they sucked but their HTC One is looking to be a great phone
  • Reply 45 of 113
    davdav Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Us?

It's Apple's old slogan, circa 1984, "The computer for the rest of us"

(I meant to imply that Samsung wants to be like Apple so bad, they would even imitate Apple's old slogans)
  • Reply 46 of 113
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Samsung: "The Apple for the 'Meh too' or 'good enough, and I hope you can't tell it's not Apple' crowd"

@geysernuts -- You nailed it!
  • Reply 47 of 113
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

HTC was good at the start from windows mobile phones to android. Lately they sucked but their HTC One is looking to be a great phone

>>Oh no! 404 - Page not found

You have reached this page either because 1) The page requested no longer exists, or 2) We may have been uploading a new version of the requested page as you tried to access it. Please use the "back" button on your browser and try again. We apologize for any inconvenience.

<< Back to HTC Europe<<

That is one attractive phone indeed!
  • Reply 48 of 113
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    HTC: a new model every week, re-branding of similar model, etc.

It's the same crap, recycled. Typical Android OEM.

Undifferentiated hardware running an undifferentiated OS (apart from its lousy quality compared to iOS.)

*yawn*
  • Reply 49 of 113
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Who didn't see this sh** coming!
  • Reply 50 of 113
    mj4ev3rmj4ev3r Posts: 99member
    Survival of THE FITTEST Award goes to... Apple!
  • Reply 51 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

Survival of THE FITTEST Award goes to... Apple!

Apple is iDoomed.
  • Reply 52 of 113
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Apple is Bruce Lee.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Apple is iDoomed.

• Reply 53 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Apple is Bruce Lee.

LOL. Bruce says, "who's next?"
  • Reply 54 of 113
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Their brand has no visibility, no presence.

Their phones look like "generic Android phones."

Their branding is a mess: Radar? Vivid? ReZound? You've got to be kidding me. If the average consumer (read: not hard core Fandroid) cannot explain the difference between these phones and their competitors, then HTC will continue to fail.

They're getting there One X & One S are their new models, nice phones with s chassis like the Nokia's and a SIM drawer for the MicroSIM, they've improved the camera focussing on more than just megapixels.

It's make or break time for them.
  • Reply 55 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Samsung: "The Apple for the people without taste"

Ah yes, "Presenting the new Samsung Crapple!"

[QUOTE=jz1492;2090229]Beleaguered Motorola and HTC were first with Android, yet Samsung is the one soaring in the marketplace without a commensurate marketing effort.

Which goes a long way to prove that the more they copy Apple, the better their chances of prevailing --until they lose in court, that is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I'm glad that Apple aggressively sued Samsung because otherwise that's precisely the lesson companies would walk away with. At least now they have to consider the financial burden in legal settlements for resorting to copy-catting. How much of those profits will Samsung have to pour back into settlements awarded to Apple?

For starters, they will likely pay Apple for every lost profit dollar by infringing on Apple's patents. Samsung will not be allowed to profit from their crime. Then there will be a penalty as well, which could be up to three-fold the profit damages. Finally, Samsung could end up being watched by the court for some time to prevent any hint of a new infringement. This will tend to stifle innovation if the court needs to see what they are planning on doing.

The longer the case goes on, and the more Samsung profits from sales, the bigger the final check they need to write.

Oh, and if some of the infringements came from the Android software, Samsung has recourse to sue Google for losses. So, from not making money, Google can go to losing money on Android.

Finally, if some of the infringement is in the Android software, Apple can just go to the other 35 phone manufacturers and sue easily showing prior court decisions... leaving Google to be the payee at the end of the line.
  • Reply 56 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They're getting there One X & One S are their new models, nice phones with s chassis like the Nokia's and a SIM drawer for the MicroSIM, they've improved the camera focussing on more than just megapixels.

Agreed. It looks like they make a decision to focus and differentiate, and it looks like they've done a pretty nice job of that.

The question is whether or not we've already passed a tipping point where "Samsung = Android" in the mind of the average buyer. Or maybe more accurately "Galaxy = Android."

That's the problem with being an Android licensee, there's only so much you can do to make yourself stand out. Samsung has the money to advertise heavily, HTC does not. At some point you enter a death spiral, no matter how nice your pretty much just like the other Android phones are.
  • Reply 57 of 113
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

And in doing so, they've eliminated the microSD slot and made the battery not user-replaceable.

I dunno. I own an HTC Vision (aka Tmobile G2), and it was its utilitarian and enthusiast-friendly features that made me choose it over all of the other android phones out there. The one series, while nicely designed, loses a lot of these features, and thus loses a lot of its appeal over the Samsungs and Motorolas out there.

for me at least.
  • Reply 58 of 113
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Didn't they announce SwipeIt at this year's CES?

it works on the latest Samsung models. practically the same as DLNA, just branded. not up to AirPlay standards.
  • Reply 59 of 113
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

it works on the latest Samsung models. practically the same as DLNA, just branded. not up to AirPlay standards.

I've seen no SW service from Samsung that is close to Apple's level of competency, but in all fairness SwipeIt is still new. AirPlay is an evolution of AirTunes which debuted nearly 8 years ago in June 2004, and AirPlay has been around for nearly 2 years now. I think we just got mirroring with iOS 5.0. Wow! It's been that long!
  • Reply 60 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

... 200 dollars does not buy you "taste"

Nah, but having taste and $200 buys you an iPhone.