AT&T will allow out-of-contract customers to unlock their iPhone

245

Comments

  • rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Did you miss the part where I said IN MY MIND? That clearly implies that the only place it is currently a crime is, well, IN MY MIND.



    sheesh.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I knew it would eventually happen though I thought some politician would throw a fit that he can't put another country's SIM into his iPhone which would start the ball rolling. I didn't think that Tim Cook calling AT&T was even on the table.



    That's not a crime. Neither is not-unlocking the SIM once you're out of contract, but I think it should be.



  • kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Forgive my ignorance, but what can you do with an unlocked phone?
  • bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 131member
    ATT got tired of getting emails from Tim Cook about unlocking iPhones.
  • cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Wonder if they'd do this for my eBay purchased brand new 4S, as my contract expired on the shattered 4 it replaced last month. If the contract expired regardless, does it matter if the serial number of my current phone matches that of the one I purchased through them 2 years ago?
  • oberpongooberpongo Posts: 115member
    Great Time to buy a subsidized iPhone on AT&T, pay ETF and walk over to the t-mobile store to get a micro sim on a value plan! I know it's only going to be edge speeds. But for emails, weather, stocks and appleinsider those speeds are fine and save you a lot of money

    Any older iPhones should be much more valuable on eBay for all those intersted in moving to t-mobile. And by next year they will even work on 3G/4G on t-mobile which might not have better rural coverage but gets much higher speeds in urban areas.
  • neosumneosum Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post


    Forgive my ignorance, but what can you do with an unlocked phone?



    You could use an unlocked phone on any GSM network that is supported by the phone, such as Tmobile and many of the smaller regional carriers. Being unlocked also adds to the phone's resale value.
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post


    So much for the lies we've been fed "... it is impossible to unlock an iPhone"



    Yet another silly claim that no one (at least around here) has ever made. It has been possible for quite some time to buy an unlocked phone from Apple and it certainly is well known that iphones can be unlocked.



    You're apparently confusing a silly sales claim made by an ignorant or dishonest person with a problem due to the phone.







    As an aside, though, it's not clear that this really does much good for most users in the U.S., at least. Most of them require a contract. If you're going to sign a contract, you can get a brand new 3GS for free or a 4 or 4S for modest charge (probably less than you could sell your old iPhone for). So for most people, it simply makes more sense to sign a new contract with the new carrier, get a subsidized phone, and sell your old one.



    Of course, there's no down side to this new policy, so I'm not complaining.
  • nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,118member
    About damn time.
  • dcrdcr Posts: 7member
    So... I walk into the ATT store and they do this for me? Or, I still have to do it the old fashioned way. If the phone is out of contract it has nothing to do with ATT. So unless they are offering the service, what has actually changed?
  • noexpectationsnoexpectations Posts: 481member
    Bad for APPLE...they will sell less new iPhones. If I can use my current iPhone on another carrier, I won't have to buy a new one.
  • wigginwiggin Posts: 2,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    When was it ever stated as impossible. We know they sell factory unlocked iPhones as required by some countries and we've had SW unlocks with every iPhone model for 5 years.



    There have been many accounts were ATT reps contacted customers and told them in no uncertain terms that the cannot unlock phones. That only Apple can unlock them (taking advantage of a technicality in how unlocking is accomplished). No ATT is saying that they will unlock iPhones.



    So yeah, I would say that's equivalent to ATT saying it's impossible [for them] to unlock an iPhone and now proving that was a lie.
  • mac_128mac_128 Posts: 2,000member
    But you still have to have a data plan right? So what's the point if I stay with AT&T? Just take it to T-Mobile who don't care if I have a data plan or not. If the idea is to draw more customers into AT&T with cheap phones, then drop all the draconian plan charges ...
  • cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Yet another silly claim that no one (at least around here) has ever made. It has been possible for quite some time to buy an unlocked phone from Apple and it certainly is well known that iphones can be unlocked.



    You're apparently confusing a silly sales claim made by an ignorant or dishonest person with a problem due to the phone.







    As an aside, though, it's not clear that this really does much good for most users in the U.S., at least. Most of them require a contract. If you're going to sign a contract, you can get a brand new 3GS for free or a 4 or 4S for modest charge (probably less than you could sell your old iPhone for). So for most people, it simply makes more sense to sign a new contract with the new carrier, get a subsidized phone, and sell your old one.



    Of course, there's no down side to this new policy, so I'm not complaining.



    I'd say it's good for individuals like me, who have regional carriers that offer the same HSPA+ network services as AT&T, but at better rates. GCI of Alaska being one of those, who I already get my internet service through.
  • telemaquetelemaque Posts: 7member
    What isn't clear is this: what if I own an iPhone 3GS locked to AT&T (purchased on Craig's List) which I unlocked using Ultrasn0w and have always used on T-Mobile?



    I.e. can someone without *any* AT&T account get their iPhone unlocked? The current language suggests that one has to be a customer.
  • kingofsomewherehotkingofsomewherehot Posts: 3,983member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post


    Forgive my ignorance, but what can you do with an unlocked phone?



    You can use it on multiple carriers (with a different SIM card for each).



    So I can take my Orange SIM card out of my cheapo phone and use it in my ATT iPhone now when I'm in Amsterdam. (After I get them to unlock it.) Then put the ATT SIM back in it when I return to USA.
  • nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post


    Bad for APPLE...they will sell less new iPhones. If I can use my current iPhone on another carrier, I won't have to buy a new one.



    You are looking at this backward! Apple sell unlocked iPhones for full price. Even if you buy one from AT&T with contract and terminate to get it unlocked it will cost you the same:



    $200 iPhone

    + $375 early termination fee

    + $50 for at least one month of service

    -----------

    Total = $625 + tax



    This is more expensive than getting an unlocked iPhone from Apple. This action from AT&T is just to get customers and Apple off their back regarding this issue.
  • cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    You are looking at this backward! Apple sell unlocked iPhones for full price. Even if you buy one from AT&T with contract and terminate to get it unlocked it will cost you the same:



    $200 iPhone

    + $375 early termination fee

    + $50 for at least one month of service

    -----------

    Total = $625 + tax



    This is more expensive than getting an unlocked iPhone from Apple. This action from AT&T is just to get customers and Apple off their back regarding this issue.



    What part of "I can use my CURRENT phone" did you miss in his statement, current meaning "I won't have to buy a new phone when I switch carriers?"



    Yeesh.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 7,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    Total = $625 + tax



    This is more expensive than getting an unlocked iPhone from Apple. This action from AT&T is just to get customers and Apple off their back regarding this issue.



    4S from Apple is $649 + tax
  • nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post


    What part of "I can use my CURRENT phone" did you miss in his statement, current meaning "I won't have to buy a new phone when I switch carriers?"



    Yeesh.



    which carrier is he planning to switch to? The Edge only carrier called T-Mobile?
  • nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    4S from Apple is $649 + tax



    I also made another mistake. The minimum AT&T plan is around $60. So it will be $635.
Sign In or Register to comment.