Google rumored to launch sub-$250 7-inch tablet in July

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

At the same time, it's an awfully expensive device for the majority of consumers who are simply using tablets as a portal to the web.

$500 is not awfully expensive.

$500 is dirt cheap. Most people thought that the iPad would cost around $1000 when it was first introduced.

I wonder how old some of the people are who think that $500 is expensive? Where these people around in the 70's, 80's and 90's?
  • Reply 22 of 121
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

$500 is not awfully expensive.

$500 is dirt cheap. Most people thought that the iPad would cost around $1000 when it was first introduced.

I wonder how old some of the people are who think that $500 is expensive? Where these people around in the 70's, 80's and 90's?

Are you kidding? $500 is cheap?

We aren't speaking relative to what the iPad is worth, but rather the value of money. $500 isn't chump change.
  • Reply 23 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Are you kidding? $500 is cheap?

We aren't speaking relative to what the iPad is worth, but rather the value of money. $500 isn't chump change.

Well, I guess that we have different definitions of cheap.

I've bought and owned many computer devices and laptops over the years, and the iPad is the cheapest thing that I've ever bought in that category.
  • Reply 24 of 121
    bsgincbsginc Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Your browsing habits won't be any more safe from prying eyes than they are now with every other tablet and smartphone. Everyone wants to know who you are, where you are and your interests. There's no exceptions, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung and developer's included. Note: Google doesn't sell your information. They offer their expertise in targeting ads to you or at least consumers that fit a profile like yours, based on what they know about your searches, interests and the like. A huge difference since your personal details don't leave their control.

As for selling at a profit, I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell close to break even, but not a loss. They aren't trying to mimic Amazon's market plan IMO.

The reason they are not safe is because Google deliberately subverts protections to block access to your browsing habits that providers such as Apple provide in their browsers. And, not to split hairs but, there is little constructive difference between selling your name directly to an advertiser and selling the information needed to target you you via device IDs. It all still points to you. And, with access to the information trails, it is apparently not very difficult to track a person down.

So, no thanks. Google is a very untrustworthy guardian of personal information.
  • Reply 25 of 121
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

I've bought and owned many computer devices and laptops over the years, and the iPad is the cheapest thing that I've ever bought in that category.

The older you are the cheaper $500 for tech gear seems.

$1000 for 10mb hard drives.

$1500 for an HP ink jet printer.

$18,000 for an 11 X 17 laser printer.

$12,000 for a Mac IIci and Apple laser printer

... and don't even get me started on ram.

... and I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who could extend this list for days on end.
  • Reply 26 of 121
    hmo8020hmo8020 Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Who me, biased?

I just happen to think that Android is a steaming pile of crap, that's all.

ROFL .. pile of ads too ;-)
  • Reply 27 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bsginc View Post

The reason they are not safe is because Google deliberately subverts protections to block access to your browsing habits that providers such as Apple provide in their browsers. And, not to split hairs but, there is little constructive difference between selling your name directly to an advertiser and selling the information needed to target you you via device IDs. It all still points to you. And, with access to the information trails, it is apparently not very difficult to track a person down.

So, no thanks. Google is a very untrustworthy guardian of personal information.

Google was reported to have removed the code that allowed the bypass, altho Apple themselves may not have gotten the message, reportedly ignoring that cookie delivery was turned off in this user's Safari settings.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=261
  • Reply 28 of 121
    hmo8020hmo8020 Posts: 10member
    Quote:

TCO & ROI is not valuable .. for most people ;-)
  • Reply 29 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who could extend this list for days on end.

Yep, you're correct about that!

I'm afraid to even mention what I paid for 12 megabytes of RAM a long, long time ago. So yeah, $500 seems incredibly cheap. It's so damn cheap, that I might even get a third iPad soon. I use them for musical purposes.
  • Reply 30 of 121
    Well, might as well try to compete with the lower end since Android tablets have been a complete failure at trying to compete with the iPad at the $500 price point.
  • Reply 31 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bsginc View Post

And, not to split hairs but, there is little constructive difference between selling your name directly to an advertiser and selling the information needed to target you you via device IDs. It all still points to you.

What evidence do you have that's what they do? My understanding is that Google does the ad placements, with the data itself allowing for targeted ads never leaving their control. That's why they're valuable to advertiser's. If they simply sold "the list" then the value to the chain would drop fast just like it did with the old mailing lists that ended up used several times and shared with other departments.

Do you have some link showing Google's really selling the data itself instead of placing/delivering the ads? I'm happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood.
  • Reply 32 of 121
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple needs to come out with something with 7-inch screen soon, otherwise google will rapidly increase its tablet market share.

Yes, Apple is indeed doomed! DOOMED I SAY!!!
  • Reply 33 of 121
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmo8020 View Post

ROFL .. pile of ads too ;-)

As in the enhanced version of their Google Glasses fantasy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_mRF0rBXIeg
  • Reply 34 of 121
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I don't mean to be wierd, but shouldn't this article be on another site that should be called Googleinsider?
  • Reply 35 of 121
    Only Google would come some stupid idea that been thought of by someone else. other people have thought this up before. ust another way for Google to market their stupid ideas so they can make money on ad clicks.
  • Reply 36 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yes, Apple is indeed doomed! DOOMED I SAY!!!

Google themselves haven't proven they can market hardware of their own design with success. I think Apple might come out with a 8 inch iPad for about the same amount of money or slightly more for a better system. Android can't even get their Ice Cream Samwich OS working properly. Google should stay away from marketing hardware, they just aren't qualified to do it.
  • Reply 37 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Google themselves haven't proven they can market hardware of their own design with success. I think Apple might come out with a 8 inch iPad for about the same amount of money or slightly more for a better system. Android can't even get their Ice Cream Samwich OS working properly. Google should stay away from marketing hardware, they just aren't qualified to do it.

You're probably right, which is why I've said I don't think this is intended to be a big commercial success.
  • Reply 38 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I wonder how all the other Android tablet manufacturers like competing with their OS provider.
  • Reply 39 of 121
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Here are some 1984 prices:

Cost of a new home: ..................$97,600.00

Cost of a new car: ......................$

Median Household Income: ........$22,415.00

Cost of a first-class stamp: ........$0.20

Cost of a gallon of regular gas ...$1.21

Cost of a dozen eggs: ................$1.01

Cost of a gallon of Milk: .............$2.26

The original Mac, introduced in 1984, cost $2,500, had 128K RAM a 9" B/W Display... $2,500 ~= $10,000 in 2012 dollars

Today's 16 GB iPad costs 1/20 of the original Mac and has 10-15 x processing power (CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, WiFi, etc)... plus a color display more than double the density... and it is portable.

iPad ~= 10 x Power Original Mac

iPad ~= 0.5 x $ Cost Original Mac

The original iMac:

Macintosh Original (128k) Specs Ports & Connectivity

Introduction Date:............\tJanuary 24, 1984*

Processor Speed:..............8 MHz
    \t

Processor Type:................68000

Details:.............................The original Mac has a 32-bit processor. It has a 16-bit data path.

Processor Upgrade:...........N/A\tFPUtN/A

System Bus Speed:............8 MHz\t

Cache Bus Speed:..............N/A

ROM/Firmware Type:.........Macintosh ROM\t

ROM/Firmware Size:..........64k

L1 Cache:..........................None

L2 Cache:..........................N/A

RAM Type:.........................Built-in\t

Min. RAM Speed:................N/A

Standard RAM:..................128k

Maximum RAM:.................512k*

Details:..............................*The RAM could be upgraded to 512k by an authorized reseller.

Motherboard RAM:.............128k

Video Card:........................Integrated

Built-in Display:.................9" Monochrome\tNative Resolutiont512x342

Standard Hard Drivet..........None

Standard Optical:...............None\t

Standard Disk:...................400k (Manual)

Standard Modem:...............None\t

Standard Ethernet:..............None

Expansion Slots:.................None\t

Expansion Bays:..................None

Case Type:..........................All-in-One

Dimensions:........................13.6 x 9.6 x 10.9\t

Avg. Weight:........................16.5 lbs (7.5 kg)

Original Price:......................US$2495

Detailst*As a collector's item, the original Macintosh retains value.
  • Reply 40 of 121