UK ad authority moves closer to '4G' iPad investigation

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

The U.K.'s Advertising Standards Authority is inching closer to launching a full investigation into Apple's previously broad marketing claim that the third-generation iPad is able to connect to high-speed 4G LTE networks.

Since it was announced last week that the ASA was taking complaints from consumers who felt mislead by Apple's iPad campaign, the agency has reportedly received 24 filings that may be used to initiate an investigation into the matter, according to the Financial Times.

The complaints stem from the new iPad's original marketing that touted the device as being 4G-capable despite its inability to interface with existing LTE networks in countries outside North America.

Mobile providers in the U.K. have stopped using advertising materials from Apple that refer in any way to the 4G capabilities of the iPad. Operators have asked the Cupertino, Calif., company to change its ad products, and began receiving new signage and handouts last week that replaced the 4G claims with references to "ultra-fast wireless" and access to "fast data networks." All retailers are expected to get their respective ad materials in the coming week.

Just as it did with its Australian website following pressure from that country's government, Apple has changed the U.K. version to more accurately describe the wireless functions of the new iPad.

Apple's U.K. iPad website. | Source: Apple

Apple's Wi-Fi + 4G iPad operates on the 700MHz and 2.1GHz bandwidths, which are already being used by some European states for digital TV services and existing 3G wireless networks. European regulators have reserved the 800MHz and 2.6GHz channels for 4G use, and the U.K. is scheduled to start auctioning off the wireless spectrum at the end of 2012.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Honestly, I continue to fail to see the problem here. Apple has never said it would work with 4G anywhere but the US and Canada. The only complaint that can be raised is the prominence (or lack thereof) of said disclaimer, not any misleading information.

If Australia had "4G" in its image, then yeah, that's a problem. But if the image from this thread is the image that has always been there, I don't see the issue.
  • Reply 2 of 111
    Idiotic and pedantic.

§ Unlike Australia or the USA, the UK does not have any 4G networks yet. Who are these barely-literate complainants?

§ The new iPad has 4G-capable transmission and reception circuitry - where's the false advertising?
  • Reply 3 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

§ Unlike Australia or the USA, the UK does not have any 4G networks yet. Who are these barely-literate complainants?

They have LTE already. At least, I thought so…

Quote:

§ The new iPad has 4G-capable transmission and reception circuitry - where's the false advertising?

They claim that Apple claims that the iPad works on their local LTE networks, when in fact it doesn't support the band necessary to do so.
  • Reply 4 of 111
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They have LTE already. At least, I thought so?

They claim that Apple claims that the iPad works on their local LTE networks, when in fact it doesn't support the band necessary to do so.

They claim, but Apple did state which LTE networks do work. They assumed that folks would do the mental math to understand that if their country wasn't on that list, it won't work. Apple can't be blamed if customers don't read what they are given in terms of info. Same for carriers and their employees.

It CAN go up to 4G speeds depending on the local service, same as batteries CAN go up to 10 hours depending on what you are doing. It doesn't equal that you will always get 4G or 10 hours.
  • Reply 5 of 111
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    I think what AppleInsider missed is that since the Aussie case, Apple has changed all EU websites to reflect Europe's 4G-less situation.

I don't agree that Apple should be sued millions for this, however I believe that Apple shouldn't have originally advertised the LTE adverts in countries where they either lack LTE (like the UK) or don't support the LTE bands of that country (Australia).
  • Reply 6 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

II don't agree that Apple should be sued millions for this, however I believe that Apple shouldn't have originally advertised the LTE adverts in countries where they either lack LTE (like the UK) or don't support the LTE bands of that country (Australia).

They didn't. They listed 4G, which is completely acceptable within the ITU-R definition. They never advertised 4G LTE outside the US and Canada.

Also note that 4G is such a generic term that LTE is appended to it when actually referring to LTE.
  • Reply 7 of 111
    jumperjumper Posts: 34member
    Quote:

No they don't. It states that it only works in the US and Canada.
  • Reply 8 of 111
    Quote:

OFCOM, the UK Telecoms regulator, attempted to "jump the gun" a couple of months ago and give the go-ahead to just one operator/carrier to commence an LTE rollout later this year, much to the annoyance of several other carriers that also successfully bid for radio spectrum and have LTE plans of their own.

In the wake of the uproar from the other aggrieved carriers, OFCOM has had to withdraw its approval, or at least suspend it until a clear-the-air announcement has been made in May.

It doesn't look likely that the UK will see any LTE networks up and running before 2013...
  • Reply 9 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They claim, but Apple did state which LTE networks do work. They assumed that folks would do the mental math to understand that if their country wasn't on that list, it won't work. Apple can't be blamed if customers don't read what they are given in terms of info. Same for carriers and their employees.

Thanks for clarifying; that's what I thought happened.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumper View Post

No they don't. It states that it only works in the US and Canada.

Who's 'they' in this case, Apple? That's what I said.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

It doesn't look likely that the UK will see any LTE networks up and running before 2013...

Really? Well then, yeah, what are they talking about?
  • Reply 10 of 111
    This is why apple waits to roll out new wireless technologies, until they are widespread and have more standards. Average customers are confused, even "informed" consumers can get confused.
  • Reply 11 of 111
    Quote:

Really? Well then, yeah, what are they talking about?

Exactly.

Just misery looking for company as usual.
  • Reply 12 of 111
    ooh, of course those guys did not even know there is no 4G in UK?

while Apple knew very well and still circulated advertisement with claims of 4G capabilities cause it's cooler

and now is changing the ads in a big rush

• Reply 13 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The U.K.'s Advertising Standards Authority is inching closer to launching a full investigation into Apple's previously broad marketing claim that the third-generation iPad is able to connect to high-speed 4G LTE networks.

There is nothing wrong with that statement. Apple's promotional material in the UK only says 4G and not specifically LTE as far as I know when I bought mine at launch. Their launch presentation also make it prominent that LTE is in NA only.

I suspect those who made the complaint to ASA is either a muppet or just plain Android troll fanbois.
  • Reply 14 of 111
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    24 thick bastards that can't read then? Or 24 android fanboys complaining? Lmao
  • Reply 15 of 111
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It CAN go up to 4G speeds depending on the local service, same as batteries CAN go up to 10 hours depending on what you are doing. It doesn't equal that you will always get 4G or 10 hours.

But Apple knew that the iPads 4g capability was only applicable in North America yet 4g was a prominently mentioned feature outside of that region. Why even mention it it doesn't apply? The mere inclusion in any other way than a mention in the small print implies a degree of willful intent to deceive. Hiding behind the technical differences of 4g variants is beneath Apple. I rate Apple's marketing to among the best there is so to claim ignorance is an insult imo. Any 'yeah buts' just don't cut it. Apple needs to eat humble pie and move on. To me this has been a stupid blunder and Apple is lucky the media has not made bigger deal out of it.
  • Reply 16 of 111
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveDelMar View Post

ooh, of course those guys did not even know there is no 4G in UK?

while Apple knew very well and still circulated advertisement with claims of 4G capabilities cause it's cooler

and now is changing the ads in a big rush

The UK Apple site has always stated that LTE only works in parts of the US and Canada. What's to change????
  • Reply 17 of 111
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    I wonder how many complaints they get from consumers who bought Wi-Fi only models
  • Reply 18 of 111
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But Apple knew that the iPads 4g capability was only applicable in North America yet 4g was a prominently mentioned feature outside of that region. Why even mention it it doesn't apply? The mere inclusion in any other way than a mention in the small print implies a degree of willful intent to deceive. Hiding behind the technical differences of 4g variants is beneath Apple. I rate Apple's marketing to among the best there is so to claim ignorance is an insult imo. Any 'yeah buts' just don't cut it. Apple needs to eat humble pie and move on. To me this has been a stupid blunder and Apple is lucky the media has not made bigger deal out of it.

So all cars should be advertised with a maximum speed of 55mph (subject to the relevant laws of whichever country they are sold in) and speedo's should max out at that speed because higher readings are misleading and encourage law breaking.

Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The UK Apple site has always stated that LTE only works in parts of the US and Canada. What's to change????

So did the Australian site but apparently our government thinks we are too stupid to read f***ing english or understand what a footnote means.

Some of the posters here also seem to believe that.

Dumb stuff down to the lowest common denominator, which apparently is primary school reading level.
  • Reply 19 of 111
    ippyboiippyboi Posts: 12member
    It's just the world going mad. Anyone who lives in the UK knows we don't have 4g, and those who don't should ask for help and advice its not like we don't have enough mobile shops on the high street.

That said, its about time Apple got their act together. They know by now what they can get away with and they also deal with all the networks so they could have put a disclaimer on their website. It took hours after they laucnhed the products for the UK apple store to come back online.. a simple comment could save so much un-needed boring press.

T
  • Reply 20 of 111
    therbotherbo Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williaje View Post

This is why apple waits to roll out new wireless technologies, until they are widespread and have more standards. Average customers are confused, even "informed" consumers can get confused.

That doesn't make sense, the iPhone 2G (2007) never had 3G connectivity, despite the fact that 3G networks had been out for years and years and years and were standardised.