Apple's next iPhone predicted to have redesigned 'sleek' unibody case

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

The 93 mil. of "premium quality" iPhones include dated iPhones 3GS and iPhones 4 with the "premium quality" antenna problem.

I hope you realize that even the most current iPhone is not made of gold either, just the same plastic and glass. The glass is very fragile though - not Gorilla glass found in other premium phones. Dated LCD technology, no AMOLED, screen size is smaller then credit card, still 512 of RAM, no NFC, no removable storage, no removable battery. It took Apple 2 years longer to give ifans dual core, 8mpx camera, multitasking, voice command (siri) and notifications.

Customer service and support? It took Apple 18 month to fix the antenna problem. Just go get a "premium quality" bumper

Someone still lives in 2007! This bullshit list of specs already proven to be useless crap.
  • Reply 82 of 95
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Maybe if the increase it 'a tad' - but only because there are few competitive phones that are the size of the current iPhone. If the increase it much, I'll believe they will start losing customers (and they apparently agree).

We'll find out in the fall if they agree.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

So it will look like a mini iPad- I am soo excited by this newzzzzzzz.

I seriously doubt this new item will be an iPad mini. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if its a new iPod touch.
  • Reply 84 of 95
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Excellent. I love accurate rejoinders.
  • Reply 85 of 95
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Liquidmetal is made primarily from zirconia. It's basically a metalized glass. And Apple released a patent a while back talking about it...

"In the August 7, 2006 filing, published Thursday by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the iPod maker said zirconia -- often used to replicate diamonds for costume jewelry -- offers advantages over other materials, such as aluminum, in that it is structurally strong, stiff and radio transparent. "

You?re confusing two different stories here.

It's more accurate to say it's "glassified metal". The ?glass? portion refers to the disorganised amorphous (rather than crystalline) arrangement of the metallic molecules. The radio transparency derives from the amorphous state, which is not subject to magnetization or the shared electron flow of crystalline metals that results in them acting like molecular faraday cages.

Cubic zirconia and zirconium are different things. Apple investigated using ceramics based on cubic zirconia but this is completely unrelated to liquid metal.
  • Reply 86 of 95
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Quote:

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit

Bullshit.

Very smart post, indeed
  • Reply 87 of 95
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:

... the same plastic and glass. The glass is very fragile though - not Gorilla glass found in other premium phones.

The iPhone uses aluminosilicate glass. Corning markets their alkali-aluminosilicate glass as "Gorilla Glass." The frame of the iPhone 4S is stainless steel rather than plastic.

Quote:

Dated LCD technology, no AMOLED, screen size is smaller then credit card

Apple iPhone LCD technology surpasses competitors. The X subpixel angular subtense at 12" of iPhone 4S is 0.290 and the Y pixel angular subtense at 12" is 0.869. Only one Android-based smartphone surpasses this benchmark. Furthermore, the new iPad provides 99% Color Gamut Standard conformance which is also industry-leading to the extent that this is actually a revolutionary development in contrast to the cartoonishly over-saturated AMOLED screens you tout.

Android-based smartphones are returned more often.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...he-lowest.html

Quote:

512 of RAM ... It took Apple 2 years longer to give ifans dual core

Yet despite having half the RAM and one-third slower CPU clock speeds, the iPhone 4S outperforms virtually every Android-based smartphone and rivals newer Android-based smartphones. The venerable iPhone 3GS can upgrade to the latest version of iOS, iOS 5 while most Android-based smartphones still ship with an 18 month old OS.

Quote:

no NFC

I have never seen a NFC terminal, ever. NFC is pointless until widely deployed. Google deserves some recognition for their failed attempt but this is no different that any other "feature" Google deploys; i.e. deploy a feature so they can check a box then take years to actually make the feature function reasonably.

Quote:

no removable storage

Apple doesn't need removable storage. Sadly, Android smartphones don't offer free cloud storage and require such poor workarounds.

Quote:

no removable battery

Pitifully, the removable battery in Android-based smartphones is a cheap trick to account for horrible battery life and force users to expend more money.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5310/43385.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5310/43387.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5310/43388.png

Quote:

8mpx camera

Interestingly, the iPhone 4 has a better camera than most current Android-based smartphones including the flagship Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Quote:

multitasking

Multitasking is a myth. The day you can show me an undoctored video of a person performing a MRI brain study while simultaneously competing in a Judo match and troubleshooting a network outage I will pay you USD $1 million. This comment is made even more hilarious by the fact that Google is still trying to provide decent multi-tasking capabilities.

Quote:

voice command (siri)

Siri isn't voice commands and the fact that you believe so belies your ignorance. You have failed to recognize that Apple released voice control on June 19, 2009 whereas Google needed until 19 October 2011 to have a feature that begins to compete with Siri, released on 14 October 2011, but fails to make a mark.

Quote:

notifications

Interesting since Apple released "notifications" on July 11, 2008 while Google released their notifications on feature on 23 September 2008.

Quote:

Customer service and support? It took Apple 18 month to fix the antenna problem. Just go get a "premium quality" bumper

Since we know that all mobile phones experience attenuation, can you confirm that your mobile phone manufacturer or Google offered to accept your returned product, pay you $15 for the case of your choice or give you a case they manufactured at no cost to you?

Apple iPhone has the highest customer satisfaction.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1354393.html

You will ignore all the facts and bask in your ignorance. I truly pity the people Google, et al. has fooled. A rational, reasonable person would investigate and question their beliefs rather than drink the spiked Kool-Aid from Google then gloat on a forum dedicated to a competitor. Truly saddening that a person would do this.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Very smart post, indeed

I thought it was an equivalent reading level to the post it was in response to.
  • Reply 89 of 95
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

You will ignore all the facts and bask in your ignorance.

Which is why I didn't waste time trying to rebut with a cogent argument.

Quote:

I truly pity the people Google, et al. has fooled. A rational, reasonable person would investigate and question their beliefs rather than drink the spiked Kool-Aid from Google then gloat on a forum dedicated to a competitor. Truly saddening that a person would do this.

I don't think it's about Google fooling him, I think he would hate anyone or anything who is winning. Relic has stated something along the lines that she always votes for the underdog regardless of whether they are in the right or not. That's probably the myopic mentality of many people. So long as Apple is overwhelmingly dominate there will be people who innately hate them. Çest la vie.
  • Reply 90 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I thought it was an equivalent reading level to the post it was in response to.

I thought his post actually demonstrated more insight than the post to which he responded.
  • Reply 91 of 95
    Quote:

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit

Bullshit.

I'm often accused of being too wordy. But this^^^, my friends, is minimalism in true Apple form!!!

That was actually very good.
  • Reply 92 of 95
    Quote:

Which is why I didn't waste time trying to rebut with a cogent argument.

I was trying to be the "hero" he needs rather than the "hero" he deserves.

Quote:

I don't think it's about Google fooling him, I think he would hate anyone or anything who is winning. Relic has stated something along the lines that she always votes for the underdog regardless of whether they are in the right or not. That's probably the myopic mentality of many people. So long as Apple is overwhelmingly dominate there will be people who innately hate them. Çest la vie.

I don't understand that mentality. Personally, I evaluate products (especially electronics) thoroughly and purchase the best products I can afford. Currently, virtually the entire line-up of Apple products is market-leading.

My family had the Apple II, Apple IIc and Apple IIe but in the 1990s the IBM clones caught up and surpassed Apple, in my opinion. During that dark decade, I bought IBM clones. When Apple released the 17" TFT Widescreen LCD with 800 MHz PowerPC G4 iMac "iLamp" and 60 GB HDD with optional Apple Pro Speakers. With Mac OS X version 10.2 "Jaguar," I knew Apple had recovered.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

iPhone 5: the 6th generation, now with 4G technology!

No, no, no you're saying it wrong "iPhone 5, the 6th generation , now may have 4G technology in countries with 4g networks such as the US and Canada but not necessarily in your country or on your network".

That should keep government bodies who think their citizens are idiots happy.
  • Reply 94 of 95
    jonshfjonshf Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I think that you are right. A 4 inch retina screen would be significantly bigger for those used to the current models. It would look beautiful, and would require few formatting changes by devs.

Something along those lines could be done within the current iPhone size envelope. And Apple has shown, I think, with the new iPad that insignificant increases in size and weight are acceptable tradeoffs in new products, so I don't expect any slavish conformity to current iPhone specs or industry trends.

Likely any new form will follow function. I would not be surprised if Apple improves the grip on the sides of the phone in order to reduce the bezel width. Maybe a curved back so it can be balanced most easily in a secure grip?

A screen dimension of 1024 x 640 would give 302 ppi at 4 inches - still a retina display. That would keep the phone width down, adding only some pixels to the length where there is room to grow.

Current apps would work fine unchanged, filling the screen width while a few pixels at the top or bottom might go unused and unnoticed. An aspect ratio of 1.6 would be better for movies and browsing.

The phone would be hardly wider, possibly the same length. A bezeled back would make it fit better in pocket than the current iphone and better in hand.
  • Reply 95 of 95
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    The same resolution on a larger screen would of course mean lower PPI, and unlike the iPad they could not say you hold it further so its still Retina class. Add in the rumor that the next iPhone will use an enhanced A5X (by which I assume means lowered power consumption through lower clocks and on-die RAM unlike the iPad), and I'm thinking there will be a resolution doubling. That again would lead to easy scaling.

Another year with the same CPUs would be a bit disappointing though.

4.3" is hard to use with one hand IMO, 4" like my Nexus S would be perfect if you ask me.