Availability of Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pros constrained ahead of redesigned models

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014


Multiple authorized resellers this week are reflecting stock outs of 15-inch MacBook Pros, suggesting that Apple is ramping down production of existing models before introducing redesigned offerings that will largely resemble the company's increasingly popular line of ultra-slim MacBook Airs.



Among those resellers reflecting backorder status on some of the current 15-inch MacBook Pros is J&R, which is now sold out of both the model, which is listed as "out of stock," and the variety, which is currently advertised as "on order."



In addition, Best Buy has also stopped accepting online orders for the for home delivery. The 15-inch notebook is still available on a store-by-store basis, however a quick check of individual store inventory in cities such as Chicago and Austin similarly indicate that between 40 and 60 percent of those shops are similarly reflecting stock outs.



Earlier this week, MacConnection was temporarily out of stock the of Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro, but the notebook has since come back in stock at the online retailer.



Multiple instances of inventory constraints within Apple's indirect sales channel are often some of the first signs that the Mac maker is drawing down stock and slowing shipments of existing models before replacing them with materially enhanced offerings. This week's stock-outs come as Intel is gearing up to launch its Ivy Bridge chips, which have been rumored to begin finding their way into Apple's Mac product line as early as this month or next.











Apple appears to be planning a staggered overhaul of the MacBook Pro lineup, beginning with an updated 15-inch model, followed by the 13-inch, and ultimately the 17-inch by the end of the year. AppleInsider reported in February that Apple plans to give priority to the 15-inch MacBook Pro model in updating its lineup of professional notebooks.



Recent rumors have claimed production of the 15-inch model will begin this month with 200,000 units, while production of the new the 13-inch MacBook Pro will occur in June with builds of 400,000 initial units.



The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is rumored to arrive as soon as this month with Intel's Core i5 and Core i7 Ivy Bridge processors. Reports have suggested Apple's new notebooks could include Intel's Core i7-3820QM and Core i7-3720QM models featuring integrated HD 4000 graphics.



There are fewer details on the forthcoming 13-inch MacBook Pro, as one report from March said it was "not clear" if Apple planned to introduce a new MacBook Pro with an entry-level Core i3 Ivy Bridge processor. All of Apple's current "Pro" laptops feature only higher-end Core i5 and Core i7 processors.





An illustration of Apple's notebook lineup planned for the 2012 calendar year.







And even less has been said about a new 17-inch MacBook Pro, as that notebook is expected to launch sometime after the 15- and 13-inch varieties. Apple employed a similar approach in late 2008 and early 2009, when the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro redesigns were spaced about three months apart.



The new MacBook Pros are expected to be noticeably thinner and lighter in design, and will eschew the spinning disc drive to adopt a form factor similar to Apple's thin-and-light MacBook Air. The MacBook Pro lineup was given a quiet update with faster GPUs and graphics cards last October, while the last major redesign of the lineup came in late 2008.



Separately, in what could be a sign of the end of the Mac Pro desktop line, Amazon is currently of the 8-core model. AppleInsider was first to report last October that Apple executives were evaluating whether to continue the Mac Pro in the face of limited sales, or finally ax the aging desktop line.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

«13456789

Comments

  • macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    [Rubbing hands together] muahahaha! My Precious!
  • drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member
    I think Apple is going to produce the MacPro line since there are a lot of professionals in the audio and video production that have been clamoring for it and they won't abandon them since that is a big enough market for them to continue. They also have users buying the MacPro for low cost server applications. I personally think that they might actually change the form factor, which they should have done years ago. I think they should have made it a rack mounted unit as optional or standard where they just simply make it to be used sideways.
  • charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


    I think Apple is going to produce the MacPro line since there are a lot of professionals in the audio and video production that have been clamoring for it and they won't abandon them since that is a big enough market for them to continue.



    Says you. But who knows what the sales really look like in that market. Perhaps it's not big enough to continue to cater to them.



    That said, if they are going to do so then it could be that the lower end 15 inch Pro, which is likely not the unit they are buying could go Air and the uppers and the 17 inch will stay as they are.



    or perhaps none of the 15 and 17 inch models are going Air but they are losing their ODD to make room for another hard drive or more battery or some other piece like perhaps built in 3g/4g chips.
  • winterwinter Posts: 1,237member
    It's always an exciting time when new Apple products get released and since similar stories have proven to be true, I hope this one proves true as well.



    I always like updated products even if the updates are not massive ones.
  • eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    These new MacBook Pros will be the most incredible yet.
  • cubefancubefan Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Multiple authorized resellers this week are reflecting stock outs of 15-inch MacBook Pros, suggesting that Apple is ramping down production of existing models before introducing redesigned offerings that will largely resemble the company's increasingly popular line of ultra-slim MacBook Airs.



    Among those resellers reflecting backorder status on some of the current 15-inch MacBook Pros is J&R, which is now sold out of both the model, which is listed as "out of stock," and the variety, which is currently advertised as "on order."



    In addition, Best Buy has also stopped accepting online orders for the for home delivery. The 15-inch notebook is still available on a store-by-store basis, however a quick check of individual store inventory in cities such as Chicago and Austin similarly indicate that between 40 and 60 percent of those shops are similarly reflecting stock outs.



    Earlier this week, MacConnection was temporarily out of stock the of Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro, but the notebook has since come back in stock at the online retailer.



    Multiple instances of inventory constraints within Apple's indirect sales channel are often some of the first signs that the Mac maker is drawing down stock and slowing shipments of existing models before replacing them with materially enhanced offerings. This week's stock-outs come as Intel is gearing up to launch its Ivy Bridge chips, which have been rumored to begin finding their way into Apple's Mac product line as early as this month or next.









    Apple appears to be planning a staggered overhaul of the MacBook Pro lineup, beginning with an updated 15-inch model, followed by the 13-inch, and ultimately the 17-inch by the end of the year. AppleInsider reported in February that Apple plans to give priority to the 15-inch MacBook Pro model in updating its lineup of professional notebooks.



    Recent rumors have claimed production of the 15-inch model will begin this month with 200,000 units, while production of the new the 13-inch MacBook Pro will occur in June with builds of 400,000 initial units.



    The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is rumored to arrive as soon as this month with Intel's Core i5 and Core i7 Ivy Bridge processors. Reports have suggested Apple's new notebooks could include Intel's Core i7-3820QM and Core i7-3720QM models featuring integrated HD 4000 graphics.



    There are fewer details on the forthcoming 13-inch MacBook Pro, as one report from March said it was "not clear" if Apple planned to introduce a new MacBook Pro with an entry-level Core i3 Ivy Bridge processor. All of Apple's current "Pro" laptops feature only higher-end Core i5 and Core i7 processors.





    An illustration of Apple's notebook lineup planned for the 2012 calendar year.





    And even less has been said about a new 17-inch MacBook Pro, as that notebook is expected to launch sometime after the 15- and 13-inch varieties. Apple employed a similar approach in late 2008 and early 2009, when the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro redesigns were spaced about three months apart.



    The new MacBook Pros are expected to be noticeably thinner and lighter in design, and will eschew the spinning disc drive to adopt a form factor similar to Apple's thin-and-light MacBook Air. The MacBook Pro lineup was given a quiet update with faster GPUs and graphics cards last October, while the last major redesign of the lineup came in late 2008.



    Separately, in what could be a sign of the end of the Mac Pro desktop line, Amazon is currently of the 8-core model. AppleInsider was first to report last October that Apple executives were evaluating whether to continue the Mac Pro in the face of limited sales, or finally ax the aging desktop line.



    [ View article on AppleInsider ]



    Common sense says the Mac Pro will live on in a smaller form factor, at least I hope so - CPU's have more cores, disks have vastly greater capacity at the same or lower cost.. Its the technology cycle at work, more bangs, fewer bucks. Two drive bays will hold 8TB at currently shipping sizes..



    I personally think it would be tragic to stop building it after dropping the server line, I like the idea of a convertible floor or rack mounting unit. Half the size, just as much power.. But we just don't know, that's half the fun, a debate...amongst those who are passionate about their Apple gear.
  • applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Skinny 17 Pro, please. I rarely, and I mean rarely use the optical drive in my 17-Inch MBP.



    Kill the optical. Kill the platter-based drive.



    Gimme.*



    * Insert 'Shut Up And Take My Money' Fry here.
  • kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 48member
    great.... BUT



    i want DATES, TIMES haha tell me more:



    1. How long does it take for stock problems at indirect outlets to kick back to Apple???

    2. Will there be a press event for the update or just a quiet store update launch?

    3. If so... when.. when.. when???
  • vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Goodbye optical drive. If I need you, I'll plug in a USB-based optical drive.



    It's sad to see the Mac Pro on the way out. Back in the PowerMac days, a Mac tower (or desktop) computer case was fun to open up and upgrade. In this daya and age, though, portability and simplicity reign supreme. An iMac is definitely a sexier setup for those chained to their desks. A laptop is a must for everything else.



    Let's face it, aside from some media professionals and a few hobbyists, no one opens their Mac except to possibly add RAM.. and these days that's done with a simply-removed panel that doesn't get you into the real case anyway.
  • jimbo1234jimbo1234 Posts: 43member
    I'm still using Mac Pro mid 2005 2.0 dual proc. Superb machine and going strong. Problem is software is moving forward and my poor machine is being left behind. Don't need the power of the latest Mac Pro but like to keep things separate i.e tower and screen.



    Reality is I know my next Mac wil be iMac...shame really but will not go back to Windows
  • isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post


    Goodbye optical drive. If I need you, I'll plug in a USB-based optical drive.



    It's sad to see the Mac Pro on the way out. Back in the PowerMac days, a Mac tower (or desktop) computer case was fun to open up and upgrade. In this daya and age, though, portability and simplicity reign supreme. An iMac is definitely a sexier setup for those chained to their desks. A laptop is a must for everything else.



    Let's face it, aside from some media professionals and a few hobbyists, no one opens their Mac except to possibly add RAM.. and these days that's done with a simply-removed panel that doesn't get you into the real case anyway.



    Laptops fail as the computer of choice for many finance/science professionals- not everyone is an "artiste". The lack of a number pad in a laptop keeps us clamoring for the new iMac. For portability an iPad is the new goto for us- no longer chained to a clam case are we.
  • xgmanxgman Posts: 142member
    I'm wondering if Apple has anything at all to offer on a Pro line going forward. Nothing but dreary predictions lately.
  • rob55rob55 Posts: 1,175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubefan View Post


    I personally think it would be tragic to stop building it after dropping the server line, I like the idea of a convertible floor or rack mounting unit. Half the size, just as much power.. But we just don't know, that's half the fun, a debate...amongst those who are passionate about their Apple gear.



    Waiting for a new Mac Pro or Mac Pro replacement stopped being fun for me 6 months ago. I just wish they'd do something already.
  • gtrgtr Posts: 3,157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post


    * Insert 'Shut Up And Take My Money' Fry here.



    Here's your order, Sir.



    Would you like fries with...your Fry?



  • prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post


    ... It's sad to see the Mac Pro on the way out. Back in the PowerMac days, a Mac tower (or desktop) computer case was fun to open up and upgrade. In this day and age, though, portability and simplicity reign supreme. An iMac is definitely a sexier setup for those chained to their desks. A laptop is a must for everything else.



    Let's face it, aside from some media professionals and a few hobbyists, no one opens their Mac except to possibly add RAM.. and these days that's done with a simply-removed panel that doesn't get you into the real case anyway.



    I kind of agree and kind of disagree.



    What you say makes sense, but it's only your opinion from your point of view. Laptops are non-starters for all kinds of professionals for instance.



    I would say there are more dilettantes' with laptops who are kind of "pretending to be professionals" than there are with desktops. What the MacBook Air's and the iPad revolution has taught us us is that large numbers of folks who tote laptops around all day don't actually need them at all and really only need access to email and some documents. The majority of the "real" pros and the "real" creators, still use desktops IMO.



    When it comes down to getting inside your machine for upgrades, the average user just needs to throw in a stick of RAM it's true, but the average user isn't a "pro" user. Pro users often need serious graphics and hard drive space for starters. An iMac just doesn't do it. Also, most Mac Pros have a heat envelope that's right on the line. The fancy graphics cards we use in them die frequently from heat death and have to be replaced every couple of years usually. The Mac Pro itself lasts approximately ten to twelve years, far longer than any other so one also has to upgrade the hard disks at least two or three times during it's life.



    There is a definite need for all the upgrade possibilities and capabilities of the Mac Pro. Any alternative or replacement would have to be similarly configurable.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    Waiting for a new Mac Pro or Mac Pro replacement stopped being fun for me 6 months ago. I just wish they'd do something already.



    Investigate other options.
  • kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Investigate other options.



    exactly what i was going to say. the fantastic thing about tech is that there are so many companies pumping it out



    don't be loyal to Apple... they certainly dont care about you. if they are not meeting your needs... go elsewhere immediately, its the best thing you can do to show your discontent.



    i think we should remember to things on OUR schedules. not intels, apples, samsungs, sonys or anyone else's
  • loveandcaptureloveandcapture Posts: 5member
    It's disheartening to hear about the Mac Pro possibly going bye-bye... I bought the most recent model in late 2010, and it's been a total dream (video editor/musician here).



    But let's all please remember: no one really knows anything about what's going to happen to it, and what might be a simple Waiting-On-The-New-Intel-Chips has turned into a "It's Dead" fear mongering.



    I have no clue what Apple plans to do with it, but I certainly hope it sticks around (hey, new design: awesome!), as my next machine after this one will be another Pro tower. Even just FCPX has certain features that, if Apple really wants to shine, will need a Mac Pro's power to fully deliver (you're going to edit 64 streams of multicam, 1080p or 2k video on an iMac?? come on...). Apple KNOWS what its expectations are for the machine, and while we think the numbers are small, that might be just fine in line with what they're willing to produce.



    Apple is a HARDWARE company that makes its own software. While some think the FCPX debacle was them getting out of the pro market, even if a serious editor jumped to another software... they'd STILL be using Apple hardware. EVERY recording studio and production lab I've been in has many Mac Pro towers integrated. I'd like to think (and here's where my wishful thinking comes in) that Apple wouldn't want to lose the business of the majority of working creative professionals and schools..



    Amazing - until just about a year ago, there was no reason to be dubious about Apple's intentions in this space. Now... yikes. If no refresh of the Pro comes along, there's the answer, and it's time to look elsewhere.
  • applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post


    great.... BUT



    i want DATES, TIMES haha tell me more:



    1. How long does it take for stock problems at indirect outlets to kick back to Apple???

    2. Will there be a press event for the update or just a quiet store update launch?

    3. If so... when.. when.. when???



    My guess: the day after earnings, or April 25.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post


    exactly what i was going to say. the fantastic thing about tech is that there are so many companies pumping it out



    don't be loyal to Apple? they certainly don't care about you.



    Didn't say that. The iMac could very well be all he needs.



    Quote:

    i think we should remember to things on OUR schedules. not intels, apples, samsungs, sonys or anyone else's



    No one else is going to have any chips either, as Intel hasn't released them.
Sign In or Register to comment.