Extremely rare Apple Macintosh 128K with 'Twiggy Drive' listed for $100K on eBay

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

An extremely rare piece of Apple history has appeared for auction on eBay in the form of a Macintosh 128K, complete with a 5.25-inch "Twiggy" disk drive.

The seller is as the "world's oldest known complete Mac." Still in working order, the starting price on the auction is a whopping $99,995, with more than five days remaining to bid.

The Macintosh 128K was originally set to have a Twiggy floppy disk drive — a disk format developed by Apple during the creation of the Lisa. The disks, known as "FileWare," were similar to a standard 5.25-inch disk, but also had write windows on the top, and a label that ran down the side.

Though early prototypes of the Macintosh included Twiggy disks, they were eventually removed. Instead, Apple chose to go with the 3.5-inch floppy disk created by Sony, as Twiggy drives proved to be unreliable.

"To date, only bits and pieces of the original 'Twiggy Drive' Macintosh have ever surfaced... A motherboard here, a plastic case there, but never a complete machine or example," the eBay seller wrote. "This is the only one! The computer and keyboard are authentic and original, dated 1982-83. The computer and its keyboard were acquired together and complete, and have not been pieced together from miscellaneous parts."

The seller said that the Macintosh 128K powers on, chimes, and then prompts the user to insert a boot disk. A Lisa-formatted Twiggy disk does not boot the computer. Without a Macintosh Twiggy disk, the computer will not boot.

The goes by the handle "wozniac," but noted they are not Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple. The seller said they live in Canada and have had the same eBay ID since 2007.

As of Thursday afternoon, there have not been any bids on the rare Macintosh 128K. Pictures of the device are included below, and more can be seen at the .

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Beautiful piece of kit, indeed...but it should go to a museum instead of being auctioned off to private collectors.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    If other blog sites are to be believed, it is the one and only Woz selling this.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    It's a thing of beauty. But no practical value.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

If other blog sites are to be believed, it is the one and only Woz selling this.

That's ridiculous. Woz doesn't need the money, and he's never shown great interest in collecting large amounts of it. If he had it, he would have donated it to a museum.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    What is that guy in a trench coat logo next to the keyboard? It is also drawn on the memory PCB.

Found this by Googling the PCB serial #

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...p/t-29001.html

Yep compared the hand written Eprom codes and it is the same machine
  • Reply 6 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Three things that make think this is not being sold by Steve Wozniak:
    1. There is no eveidence that Woz needs the money, nor any evidence that this is being auctioned off charity.

2. If the goal is to make as much money as possible then The Great And Powerful Woz should say it's from him as it would surely increase its selling power.

3. The eBay site says, "Please note: I am not Steve Wozniak, nor am I attempting to impersonate him. My eBay ID is "wozniac", not "wozniak". I have had this eBay ID since 2007. Also, I live in Canada. Steve Wozniak (co-founder of Apple, Inc.) lives in the USA. My sincere apologies to you Steve, if this listing causes you any problems. Cheers!", but that could have been added after the speculation first began.

• Reply 7 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This is not Woz...it even says its not Steve Wozniak. The address is from Canada.

And even if it was Woz it wouldn't make any sense to him to sell it for $100,000 unless it was going to charity which the auction doesn't say so.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What is that guy in a trench coat logo next to the keyboard? It is also drawn on the memory PCB.

Found this by Googling the PCB serial #

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...p/t-29001.html

Yep compared the hand written Eprom codes and it is the same machine

That guy is Mister Macintosh!

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py..._Macintosh.txt
  • Reply 9 of 62
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    What recession.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mainyehc View Post

That guy is Mister Macintosh!

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py..._Macintosh.txt

Hey thanks for wasting one of your two posts since 2007 on me. Muchas Gracias!
  • Reply 11 of 62
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Cool machine. Price is waaay out of wack and then you add the $1500 he's charging for shipping. No way this is Woz, he's way smarter than that.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Hey thanks for wasting one of your two posts since 2007 on me. Muchas Gracias!

Heh? True, while I'm fairly active on other forums, I don't really know why but around here I'm more of an occasional lurker. Still, glad you enjoyed that piece of history!
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mainyehc View Post

Heh… True, while I'm fairly active on other forums, I don't really know why but around here I'm more of an occasional lurker. Still, glad you enjoyed that piece of history!

After reading that story it occurred to me that the old rumor floating around that Steve never really liked the name Macintosh now appears to be bogus.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Macs are good for museums and PC's are good for landfills.

I wonder what a PC from 1982 goes for on Ebay?

I think that it's safe to say that most Macs do not end up in a dumpster somewhere. I still have my old Macs that are more than a decade old. How many people with old PC's are still keeping those alive? Sorry buddy, the majority of them are already in some garbage dumb someplace.

When somebody goes to buy an iPad, iPhone, Mac or any Apple product today, they can rest assured that Apple is not going to have a firesale 3 weeks later and they see the retail price on their brand new product plummet by hundreds of percentage points down.

Can you imagine the suckers who bought the first Xoom's for around $700-$800? These people can't say that they weren't warned. What about the suckers who bought the HP Touchpad before the drastic and desperate firesales?
  • Reply 15 of 62
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    I wonder if the original Macintosh external floppy drive would work with this. Booting from the external with the right early version of Mac OS might make it possible to format Twiggy discs in the internal drive.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's a thing of beauty. But no practical value.

Like many collectibles that command premium prices. So what's your point? Whether it's an old $100K Mac or the $250m Blue Hope Diamond it serves zero purpose yet people pay top dollar for it.

I hope whoever buys this Mac has it put into a museum of some sort. It's a great piece of history and should be enjoyed by all.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'll give you $50 for it. Final offer.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Interesting that while the drive itself is a Twiggy, it looks like the floppy disc icon on the screen is a 3.5" disc. So it looks like the ROM has been at least updated to a version made after the decision to go with a 3.5" drive was made. I wonder if it would boot off a 3.5" drive if it was swapped out? Or perhaps even an external 3.5" drive.

I also like how the keyboard looks -- it looks much closer to an Apple II/II+ keyboard than to what shipped with the final version. The font looks different and it actually says Command instead of just the command logo still used in the menus today.

I remember spending a lot of time with a 512ke in high school that I got as pay for a part time job -- seeing these pics brings back a lot of memories
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Here is a clear image of the signatures found on the inside of the case.

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/...res-medium.jpg

Steve is middle column fourth from the top

Woz is right column fifth from the bottom

More good stuff

http://library.stanford.edu/mac/primary/docs/pr5.html
  • Reply 20 of 62
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Three things that make think this is not being sold by Steve Wozniak:
    1. There is no eveidence that Woz needs the money, nor any evidence that this is being auctioned off charity.

2. If the goal is to make as much money as possible then The Great And Powerful Woz should say it's from him as it would surely increase its selling power.

3. The eBay site says, "Please note: I am not Steve Wozniak, nor am I attempting to impersonate him. My eBay ID is "wozniac", not "wozniak". I have had this eBay ID since 2007. Also, I live in Canada. Steve Wozniak (co-founder of Apple, Inc.) lives in the USA. My sincere apologies to you Steve, if this listing causes you any problems. Cheers!", but that could have been added after the speculation first began.

As I said clearly, 'if other blog sites are to be believed.' I had my own doubts whether it was Wozniak or not, but I didn't particularly care.