Brazilian city with Foxconn iPhone, iPad plant names street after Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

The city of Jundiaí in Brazil has changed the name of one of its streets to "Avenida Steve Jobs," offering a tribute to the late Apple co-founder not far from a Foxconn plant believed to be producing iPhones and iPads.

Brazil's MacMagazine reported this week (, via The Next Web) that Mayor Miguel Haddad approved the name change at a city council meeting late last month. The homage to Jobs was first proposed just one day after his death last year.

Haddad said last year that he chose that particular street because it feeds into the Anhanguera highway, along which Foxconn built its facilities for manufacturing Apple products. Recent reports have claimed Apple is set to begin selling iPad 2 units manufactured in Brazil. iPhone 4 units produced in the country began appearing last February.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said last year that Brazil is an area where the company expects "major growth" in coming years. The effort to produce domestic devices is likely a key component to such growth, as import tariffs in Brazil are notoriously high. It's not yet clear, however, exactly what level of savings Brazilian consumers will enjoy from locally-manufactured Apple products.

Foxconn's Jundiaí, Brazil manufacturing plant

A number of posthumous tributes and awards have been dedicated to Jobs in recent months. A Hungarian software company unveiled a six-and-a-half-foot-tall bronze statue of his likeness late last year. The Recording Academy gave Jobs a LifeTime Achievement Award last February. Disney dedicated the film "John Carter" to Jobs at the request of director Andrew Stanton. The Cupertino Chamber of Commerce honored the executive with a President's Award last month.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    How about we have Cupertino rename itself Jobs?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Is this the first tie Steve has been honoured by a street naming? I don't mean getting to name a street like Infinite Way in an industrial park.

2) I first saw Rpd. Anhangüera on the map and thought the road was name Antennagate. If they wanted to go that route there are certainly plenty of names they could use.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about we have Cupertino rename itself Jobs?

He's certainly created them.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    All very nice, but they really need to clean up the graffiti at the end of the street...

• Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

All very nice, but they really need to clean up the graffiti at the end of the street...

I think you've got the wrong location. Were you using Google street view? Obviously from the four letter name at the beginning of the graffiti, this is Larry Page Cul-de-sac!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diplication View Post

I think you've got the wrong location. Were you using Google street view? Obviously from the four letter name at the beginning of the graffiti, this is Larry Page Cul-de-sac!

My apologies.

i stand corrected.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Nice find. I like Bozo's work here, though. Look at the disembodied eyes. Very psychedelic. Maybe just clean up the trash and cut the weeds?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Nice find. I like Bozo's work here, though. Look at the disembodied eyes. Very psychedelic. Maybe just clean up the trash and cut the weeds?

Actually the graffiti is not that bad at all - similarly to the lots of graffiti work we see here in Europe.

As for "Anhanguera", this is a term used by Native Brazilians to describe one of the most famous (and feared) explorers/settlers in what is now the State of São Paulo (where the city of JundiaÃ* is located); his main mission back in the 17th century was to find precious metals and stones, establish settlements and enslave Native Brazilians (before African-based slavery began in Brazil).
  • Reply 8 of 8
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    It's really cool that they named the street after Jobs. Perhaps in time they should name a street after Jony Ive too. . Thanks for the history lesson brlawyer.