CD-RW burner not recognized

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am unable to burn any CD's. Whenever I put in a [EDIT]blank[/EDIT] CD(right now I'm using Maxwell CD Music CD's) I get a message saying "Mac OS X is unable to recognize this CD." I can still read already-burned discs, but these just don't work. Also, in Toast and iTunes I get messages that say "No CD Burner Recognized," like this:

In Toast 5 Ti:

In iTunes 3:

This started happening when I installed iTunes 3.

Any help welcome.

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: CubeDude ]

[ 10-06-2002: Message edited by: CubeDude ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Does the Apple System Profiler (Devices and Volumes) still recognise the drive as a CD-RW? Does it say Disc Burning Fully supported?

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I had this problem a while ago, within a week of updating to Jaguar. I don't remember if I had gone to iTunes 3 yet though. I couldn't get a disc to mount on the desktop, burn in disc copy, or iTunes. The only reason I discovered it was because I was planning on doing a clean install of 10.2 due to weird things happening and wanted to back up my files. When I tried to burn my stuff onto CDs I couldn't. I ended up just burning everything in OS 9 and the problem was fixed after my clean install. Have you upgraded to 10.2? Before I did anything drastic like reinstalling, I think you should try repairing permissions in Disk Utility first.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    If you have v.2 it's firmwire. I found out the hard way.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Does this apply to the 700 mzh 14" ibook?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    [quote] Originally posted by RodUK:

Does the Apple System Profiler (Devices and Volumes) still recognise the drive as a CD-RW? Does it say Disc Burning Fully supported?

<hr></blockquote>

ASP sees it and says it's a CDRW drive, but not "Disc Burning Fully Supported." This is the drive that came with my cube(internal).

[quote]Originally posted by iBrowse:

I had this problem a while ago, within a week of updating to Jaguar. I don't remember if I had gone to iTunes 3 yet though. I couldn't get a disc to mount on the desktop, burn in disc copy, or iTunes. The only reason I discovered it was because I was planning on doing a clean install of 10.2 due to weird things happening and wanted to back up my files. When I tried to burn my stuff onto CDs I couldn't. I ended up just burning everything in OS 9 and the problem was fixed after my clean install. Have you upgraded to 10.2? Before I did anything drastic like reinstalling, I think you should try repairing permissions in Disk Utility first. <hr></blockquote>

I'm still running 10.1.5, and I can mount pre-burned CD's on the desktop.

[quote]Originally posted by Altivec_2.0:

If you have v.2 it's firmwire. I found out the hard way. <hr></blockquote>

What's version 2? Of what?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I could mount burned CD's fine but blank CD's just seemed to not exist to it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    You may want to try this site:

<a href="http://www.apstech.com/support/faq.cfm"; target="_blank">http://www.apstech.com/support/faq.cfm</a>; using FireWire CD-RW Drives and MacOS as your search criteria.

I had the same problem with my APS firewire burner and Toast 5.0.2 Lite when I upgraded my G4 Dual 450 from System 9.0.4 to 9.2.2 recently. (Don't laugh, I'm a firm believer in the computer axiom "if it ain't broke don?t fix it" and 9.0.4 was remarkably stable on my machine with its old external SCCI devices.) Toast wouldn't recognize the burner, yet preburned disks would mount and Apple System Profiler recognized the drive.

Anyway, #78 fixed my problem, by simply turning off the following authoring extensions in the Extension Control Panel:

o Authoring Support

o Disc Burner Extension

o FireWire Authoring Support

o USB Authoring Support

Hope this helps.