Famous designer says Apple will reveal 'revolutionary' product within 8 months

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 180
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Look at Jony Ive's work and look at Starck's. I think if you forced Jony to look at Starck's stuff long enough, it would make him vomit.

I've seen a lot of Starck's designs and all of them give me this unsettled, vaguely queasy, feeling. I finally figured it out. Starck takes the themes of minimalist design and uses it to make things that look and feel garish and vulgar. I didn't know that was possible until he came along and actually did it.
  • Reply 162 of 180
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

You lay out what's wrong with existing car stereos and how Apple could improve it greatly and then conclude that Apple has no incentive to go into it.

I think it's more than just improving on car stereos. It will be in-car computing, a seamless extension of what iCloud/iPhone/iPad does now.

That is already available on most 2013 Mercedes models, as well as some other car manufacturers:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/mbrace2
    • open internet access

• popular apps ? including Facebook, Yelp and Google Local Search

• cloud services

• streaming media

• voice control

• tablet style tochscreen

• Reply 163 of 180
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    First sneak peek! The iTV!

This television set, retailing for $100, is reportedly the first moderately priced receiver ever manufactured in quantity. Rose Clare Leonard watches the screen, which reproduces a 5x7 image, as she tunes in at the first public post-war showing at a New York department store, on August 24, 1945. Although television was invented prior to World War II, the war prevented mass production. Soon after the war, sales and production picked up, and by 1948, regular commercial network programming had begun. (AP Photo/Ed Ford)
  • Reply 164 of 180
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

Will Apple release a revolutionary product? I believe yes.

Will it be a TV? No. Will it take the place of a TV? Yes.

The thing people are not getting is that the term "Television" will be all but obsolete in two years after Apple introduces a product that becomes the primary entertainment and control hub in the living room. It will have a revolutionary impact not only on how we consume content at home, but how we interact with our homes in general. Television is to "iPanel" as radio is to "iPod".

These "Smart TVs" that companies are releasing will immediately seem 5 years old just by virtue of incorporating the term "TV" in their product.

This not blind fanboy praise. This is logical deduction based on the obvious.

"This is logical deduction based on the obvious"

Here's logic for you:

You have "deduced" nothing.
  • Reply 165 of 180
    I'd like to know how many people here are going to shelf or get rid of their 40"-50" Television set and buy this thing from Apple?

Disclaimer:

I am aware this IS an Apple fan site; and also that we don't REALLY know what apple will actually release yet.
  • Reply 166 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Disclaimer:

I am aware this IS an Apple fan site; and also that we don't REALLY know what apple will actually release yet.

I refuse to believe it will ever happen. It's completely unnecessary. Let the people who know how to make dumb panels make dumb panels. I'll plug in my $99 box to any of their TVs and enjoy the exact same thing that I could get from an "Apple HDTV". And this way I get to choose the quality of my panel.
  • Reply 167 of 180
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

Will Apple release a revolutionary product? I believe yes.

Will it be a TV? No. Will it take the place of a TV? Yes.

The thing people are not getting is that the term "Television" will be all but obsolete in two years after Apple introduces a product that becomes the primary entertainment and control hub in the living room. It will have a revolutionary impact not only on how we consume content at home, but how we interact with our homes in general. Television is to "iPanel" as radio is to "iPod".

These "Smart TVs" that companies are releasing will immediately seem 5 years old just by virtue of incorporating the term "TV" in their product.

This not blind fanboy praise. This is logical deduction based on the obvious.

Perhaps you don't understand the process of deduction. It refers to proving a point by invalidating counter arguments against it. You really should be careful in choosing your words, as you haven't proved anything. Corning made a concept video of this a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38

Some of the comments are pretty funny, but I'm surprised no one made a reference to people who live in glass houses.
  • Reply 168 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I refuse to believe it will ever happen. It's completely unnecessary. Let the people who know how to make dumb panels make dumb panels. I'll plug in my $99 box to any of their TVs and enjoy the exact same thing that I could get from an "Apple HDTV". And this way I get to choose the quality of my panel.

I have long held, pretty much, the same view as you do on this. But the rumors continue to grow and grow.

I have to say, as a shareholder, it really does worry me.
  • Reply 169 of 180
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

http://x1brettstuff.blogspot.com/200...hat-feeds.html

Consequently, I'm not a fan of the design of this ironic citrus squeezer. And fruit juice is bad for you.

Where do the seeds go (other than in the glass). what a dumb design.
  • Reply 170 of 180
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

yes, but they were never the same after iPad.

I wholeheartedly agree but the Apple didn't create a new product category with the iPad.
  • Reply 171 of 180
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

For a multi-hull vessel, I like this one.

That is one wicked sucker. More photos:

http://www.multihulldynamics.com/new...?articleID=200
  • Reply 172 of 180
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I have one, it works great. Most manual juicers don't catch the seeds.
  • Reply 173 of 180
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Philippe Starck is "all hat and no cattle".
  • Reply 174 of 180
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Design is important. But let's get real, designers are not behind technology revolutions. Engineers and scientists are.
  • Reply 175 of 180
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Philippe Starck is "all hat and no cattle".

That makes sense. You can tip a hat. But cow-tipping is merely the stuff of myths.
  • Reply 176 of 180
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MM5 View Post

The revolutionary product will most likely be the boat design that Jobs was working on before his death.

Starck has experience in this area

That was designed by Steve Jobs, and is currently being build here in The Netherlands by Feadship, who obviously respect his wish for privacy and won't release pictures, nor any info. I did find this piece:

http://www.bostontrader.nl/12222

• Reply 177 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

iMac please.

If it's a Phillippe Starck TV then we are talking too few penetration and way too expensive.

insertRandomYoMamaJoke();
  • Reply 178 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I have one, it works great. Most manual juicers don't catch the seeds.

What the heck are you talking about? The most classic, age-old design from when I was a kid (and that is a while ago), and found in just about every kitchen around the world, has a simple, elegant, circular grill to catch seeds and excess pulp (but let the juice through).

A brilliant, time-tested design: see, e.g., http://www.recipedose.com/2010/03/ma...ess-steel.html

As someone notes above, this guy's design is all hat and no cattle.
  • Reply 179 of 180

Monetize your time spent on-line! This great site gives you the opportunity to make extra income doing very easy on-line jobs! I myself earned over $1000 just last week and it keeps growing! Only basic typing skills required. Here you can find all necessary information's at MakeCash25.com