How do I host a website?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
If I wanted to host a website off of my own server, how would I go about it? I know I could turn on websharing, but if I wanted my own domain name, where would I get it? And would there be any security issues in doing so?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    first off... to register your own domain name, you need to contact one of the companies on this list.

<a href="http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html"; target="_blank">http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html</a>;

There are many other companies also, but they merely act as middle-men to these registrars. They might, however, be able to get a better price due to their "bulk" business.

To run a server off of Jag is pretty easy if you just want to serve a basic site to the web. You would need a Static IP though for the domain name to point to. Contact your ISP about this... it will cost more.

Security issues would be no different than any other "always on" internet connection, except that if your site shows up on search engines, it will direct more people toward your computer.

Otherwise, just put the site you build into the "Sites" folder and turn on web sharing

Keep in mind, for $10/month you can have a site hosted by a professional company and have 24 hour FTP access to keep the site updated. Your domain name registration should cost no more than $15/year under this arrangement.

I would recommend &lt;www.actwd.com&gt; for hosting services... I use them for several sites i handle.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    OK here goes:

1) Get yourself a domain name (i.e .com, .org etc)

2) Find some hosting - These are the people that will 'serve' your site, and make it acsessable to everyone who looks for it

3) Start making your webapge using dreamwaver or whatever, be sure to save your first page as index.html as this will be the page that www,yourdomain.com will go to.

4) Once your site is made use some FTP software or use the built in service in Dreamweaver etc to 'upload' it to your host that is hosting your site.

There you go- 4 steps to making a site. I am sure others will find other steps to add, but this works!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I believe some ISPs state in their terms and conditions that you shouldn't set up your own web server on their standard broadband connections. I expect you'd get away with it if you were just hosting one or two sites for family and friends, but if the sites started generating a lot of traffic they may ask you to stop. It's probably just worth checking the terms and conditions of the ISP before you sign up.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    Well, first off, I don't have a static IP. I was more or less just curious. But how long would my domain name last for? What is a good price for a name?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    free ! check out "no-ip.com"works for macs with non static ip's and free domains. very use fullfree service. you have a small app that reports your ip every so often (you set it) and update the DNS, also great for remote access to you home computer.