Apple rumored to launch with 6M of sub-$300 'iPad mini' this year

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Sigh

Isn't it glaringly obvious that the next run up for small tablets is underway? With regard to physical size the needs are as varied as the people using the product.

I probably "would" read more on my iPad but 9.7" is the limit to what I can somewhat comfortably hold. Smaller and lighter would be beneficial.

More importantly is the content. Online stores are only beneficial if you have millions of people accessing content. As it was yesterday and still remains today ...the numbers are the big deal here and the iPad is in a race against Win8 and Android to gain the critical mass of users.

Don't discount smaller tablets.

To reach the price point/margins necessary I see.

1. Non Retina display

2. Highly integrated parts (6 or 9-Axis IMU) integrated Wifi/Bluetooth

3. Same A5 as an Apple TV

4. Same 3rd gen camera system

I'd buy one.
  • Reply 62 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Don't discount smaller tablets.

The UI needs to be changed drastically for a smaller tablet. Unless that is done, the UX will suffer.
  • Reply 63 of 129
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I don't see this happening.

$100 bucks says this is called the new iBook...
  • Reply 64 of 129
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    The only reason I am skeptical is that Apple is not one to play "catchup" with other companies and products. They are often innovators and redesigners, not "everyone else is doing it so we should too" types of people. It would be nice to see a smaller version but they may make it totally different than the current iPad so it stands out and is different.
  • Reply 65 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The UI needs to be changed drastically for a smaller tablet. Unless that is done, the UX will suffer.

Nein

The spacing on the current iPad as far as app icons and other user elements is fairly large especially when compared to an iPhone/iPod Touch.

Apple recommends tap targets be no less than 44x44 pixels I believe and a 7.85 tablet should be able to accommodate that just fine.

No drastic changes are required which is why all recent rumors point to the 7.85 size.
  • Reply 66 of 129
    Personally, I don't see a need for one but I'll definitely buy one or two for the kids if it's in the $250~300 range this Xmas.

I've tried the Kindle Fire and other 7~8" tabs and I think this size has its uses. I have the older Kindle and prefer reading on that over the iPad 2. It has its own form factor and I don't think it's something Apple could ignore. I wouldn't use it to write long emails on it but I don't do that with the iPad either.

I think it'd be great for the kids and anyone else to just consume media and play games. Apple would need to work something out with the iPod touch so it doesn't overlap with this device but I don't see why it can't be done. I don't think a slight overlap would hurt either; they'd be two different kinds of devices with different form factors.

What I find weird and almost unusable is the "phablet" devices like the Samsung Note. I've seen people (in Korea, of course!) use it as a phone and it looks pretty goofy. That 5" size seems like the one to avoid.
  • Reply 67 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

There's absolutely nothing 'book' about it. Easy money for anyone who wants to bet against you.
  • Reply 68 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

The only reason I am skeptical is that Apple is not one to play "catchup" with other companies and products. They are often innovators and redesigners, not "everyone else is doing it so we should too" types of people. It would be nice to see a smaller version but they may make it totally different than the current iPad so it stands out and is different.

But that would be making it different for "different's sake" .

The iPad is enjoying success from many areas of "The Halo" I've chatted with people who's first foray into Apple products was the iPhone and they loved that the iPad was just like their phone and they could get up and running quicker.

Apple has always maintained a good level of consistency across their product line and those who are also Mac users will enjoy even more of this consistency with Mountain Lion is delivered.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

I would love to have the option to buy a 7" iPod touch. Part of the reason why Apple dominated the PMP market was that they had every price point covered. Right now Samsung is working very hard to cover every tablet pricepoint/size category. Apple needs to make a move in the 5-7" tablet space. The touch would be the way to go. Keep the iPad brand premium with the current screen size.

How's that going for Samsung? The iPad is the dominant tablet device out there and they dont need 7" and 8.9" form factors. When the new, new iPad is released next year, the ipad 2 will be $300 and the "new iPad" will be $400. Wins all around.
  • Reply 70 of 129
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lokiju View Post

I carry my Kindle Fire in my back pocket of my Dockers dress pants all the time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There is no pair of pants in the world that can properly be called "dress pants," that has a back pocket big enough for a kindle.

Kind of like Woody on the old Cheers TV show talking about the fancy and exclusive gourmet restaurant he took his girlfriend Kelly to... "We picked up our trays and..."
  • Reply 71 of 129
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    To the doubters all I can is: Apple "If you build it, they will come"
  • Reply 72 of 129
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Let's see. Apple uses the same UI on a 3.5" iPhone that they use on a 10" iPad. So from that fact, zzz concludes that they need a drastically different UI on a 7" device.

Amazing.
  • Reply 73 of 129
    obamaobama Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Naah. Call it the mini pad and call the big one a maxipad!
  • Reply 74 of 129
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. Apple uses the same UI on a 3.5" iPhone that they use on a 10" iPad. So from that fact, zzz concludes that they need a drastically different UI on a 7" device.

Amazing.

Well the resolutions are different.

Some may say take the ipod touch interface and scale up, not the ipad and scale down. (think ipod resolution but at 5, 6 or 5 inches, or perhaps iphone retina at 5, 6 or 7)
  • Reply 75 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Well the resolutions are different.

Some may say take the ipod touch interface and scale up, not the ipad and scale down. (think ipod resolution but at 5, 6 or 5 inches, or perhaps iphone retina at 5, 6 or 7)

Nay

iPhone/iPod touch Mobile Safari still doesn't support tabs.

iPhone/iPod Mail doesn't support a sidebar or pop-overs

iPhone/iPod gestures are limited in comparison

It's a poor idea to take a limited UI gesturally and from a UX standard and attempt to blow it up to match an iPad.
  • Reply 76 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Amazing.

A 7 inch screen is not big enough to make great tablet apps. There is a limit as to how close you can space elements for usability. That is why a 10 inch tablet is the minimum size for great tablet apps.

Apple didn't start out making 7 inch tablets because it is too small to express tablet software. Apple is a software-first company. Developers won't deal really well with a small screen when they can't put enough elements on the screen to build the apps they want to build.
  • Reply 77 of 129
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    "The height of such a device would be roughly the same width as the current iPad."
  • Reply 78 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

A 7 inch screen is not big enough to make great tablet apps. There is a limit as to how close you can space elements for usability. That is why a 10 inch tablet is the minimum size for great tablet apps.

Apple didn't start out making 7 inch tablets because it is too small to express tablet software. Apple is a software-first company. Developers won't deal really well with a small screen when they can't put enough elements on the screen to build the apps they want to build.

In Walter Isaacson's book Jony Ive said he and Steve played with multiple sizes/aspect ratios until the settled on the current size. They didn't just pull this size out of a hat. I see Apple doing something where they think they can make a product/experience better. I don't see them doing something just because the competition is doing it. And I have yet to see any compelling data that Apple is being hurt, is losing existing customers, not gaining new customers because they haven't released a 7" tablet to compete with [insert name here].

I'd first like to know how well the iPad 2 sold at a reduced price. If they iPad 2 sold well at a reduced price is there really a reason to build a smaller device, especially when most likely the next gen iPod Touch and/or iPhone will have a bigger screen?
  • Reply 79 of 129
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

In Walter Isaacson's book Jony Ive said he and Steve played with multiple sizes/aspect ratios until the settled on the current size. They didn't just pull this size out of a hat. I see Apple doing something where they think they can make a product/experience better. I don't see them doing something just because the competition is doing it. And I have yet to see any compelling data that Apple is being hurt, is losing existing customers, not gaining new customers because they haven't released a 7" tablet to compete with [insert name here].

I'd first like to know how well the iPad 2 sold at a reduced price. If they iPad 2 sold well at a reduced price is there really a reason to build a smaller device, especially when most likely the next gen iPod Touch and/or iPhone will have a bigger screen?

Keep in mind that Zizzy is not making an argument; he is 'quoting' what other may have said in the past, without proper attribution. He finds this quite amusing as he awaits, breathlessly, the arrival of the mighty Windows 8 onslaught this fall. Or that of Android 6, in the same timeframe. He doesn't like Apple because they refuse to do things properly, as established by William Gates III for example, and they stole their "Mac GUI" ideas from everyone else.

Cheers
  • Reply 80 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

Keep in mind that Zizzy is not making an argument; he is 'quoting' what other may have said in the past, without proper attribution.

Are you saying that the stuff I wrote is incorrect? Are the viewpoints invalid?