Australian government, Apple can't reach deal on branding of 4G LTE iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Here is an interesting webpage I've used before. Unfortunately with the world being mostly covered with water it was hard to find any place I'd ever been to that was antipodal to another land mass.

I've actually come close a couple of times. For example, Puerto Rico's antipode isn't far from the western part of Australia.

However, I've actually did it once - and I've been to both parts of the antipodes. I've been in Shanghai, Beijing, and Dalian China (and a few other smaller cities). The antipodes for those three are reasonably close to Buenos Aires where I've also been.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    http://www.google.com/finance?client=ig&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

Google is down almost identically, in sync with AAPL!!! So I wonder if that is related to Australia "What's In The Name" and US DOJ "eBook-AntiTrustGate"!!! Plus the usual Options and Rumors Speculations, vs TRUE VALUE INVESTORS!!!!

We all can guess, as they do at http://www.techinvestornews.com/Apple

CONGRATULATIONS to those who bought close to the bottom of today's

Range\t582.30 - 610.28

52 week\t310.50 - 644.00

thus far?. $50 - 60 Drop Off High? Same Old Movie?. We'll see it again when AAPL $$ shifts UP another $100, $200 etc!!! Not IF, but WHEN!

Happy Spring to all!!!
  • Reply 43 of 90
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

This is an American company trying to force false terminology onto countries where the right terminology exist.

In the UK we don't consider HSPA+ to be 4G, we don't even consider DC-HSPA 3G despite the fact it gets near-same-speeds as LTE.

Some of us don't consider LTE to be 4G, and it isn't 4G. I only consider LTE-Advanced to be true 4G. I know in the UK the ONLY phone I know of that ever mentioned what speeds it could connect to is the iPhone 3G, we don't call phones or tablets here by what connectivity they have, because we know it will just work on whatever network we wish.

as long as it isn't an American product.

Yes! You nailed it - its because its an AMERICAN company
  • Reply 44 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

This is an American company trying to force false terminology onto countries where the right terminology exist.

[...]I only consider LTE-Advanced to be true 4G.

That makes perfect sense¡ The world should abide by only your definitions¡
  • Reply 45 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Quote:

In the UK we don't consider HSPA+ to be 4G…

In the US, we don't consider it 4G, either. AT&T does. This has nothing to do with "America".

Quote:

I know in the UK the ONLY phone I know of that ever mentioned what speeds it could connect to is the iPhone 3G…

I somehow doubt that.

Quote:

…we don't call phones or tablets here by what connectivity they have, because we know it will just work on whatever network we wish.

Mhmm…
  • Reply 46 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I somehow doubt that.

I did a check of the 4 largest UK carriers and couldn't find any (current) phones that state a generational network speed in the name. This doesn't mean that they didn't in the past, but it's surely leaning heavily in favor of vendors never using that branding in the UK.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is the exact issue I asked when Apple moved the disclaimer from the bottom of the page to just below the capacity buttons. I was told ? by people here ? that 'WiFi + 4G' is a brand which makes it perfectly acceptable and not misleading, which sounds like BS since it's still the exact same issue the ACCC has as noted by this article.

Personally I think the ACCC are being a bunch of douches on this issue allowing a colloquial marketing term take precedence over an industry defined term but Apple doesn't seem to have much choice in the long run. It seems unlikely Apple will succeed in the long run.

Agreed. I too was originally confused but then again I went to the site, read the info and saw that Apple was in fact telling the truth but in this case truth is not the issue. It is perception and Apple has already lost the perception race. People are generally to stupid (not the fine AI subscribers) to bother to read let alone comprehend what something says. They just want to stick the card in and go, go, go... I knew this would come back to bite Apple in the ass and it did. They should change the wording, and move on. Australia has a woody right now for Apple.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

4G in Australia is about as pathetic as the ACCC. The coverage is so bad its pointless having anyway.

Id like to know how many iPad returns Apple received. Id be my left arm none or very few. Telstra is the only company offering 4G and I think the ACCC should speak to them about even calling it 4G

We got no returns although we are ready to fulfil Apple's offer.

Need more stock, we ran out two days ago.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They did. There's an international standard used almost everywhere but Australia which says that HSPA+ is 4G.

No we don't and that's where the problem lies, that and the ACCC seem to think we have the reading ability of preschoolers.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

We got no returns although we are ready to fulfil Apple's offer.

Need more stock, we ran out two days ago.

You know every iPad user in Australia and know for a fact that not one was returned by this event?
  • Reply 51 of 90
    Quote:

No we don't and that's where the problem lies, that and the ACCC seem to think we have the reading ability of preschoolers.

No, they just don't like companies misleading consumers.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

well you seem to be - If you bought you 3g device only to find that the 3g in the UK is different than the 3g in the US and now your phone will only work on 2g, which is what you already had, you might be a wee bit peeved. And Australia does have the network, as does the UK. It is called 4g but it happens not to be the right kind of 4g network. Consumer shouldn't need to know this.

Why not?

Who's to blame if people buy 4G phones from the US via the Internet and they don't work anywhere else?

I blame America.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Why not just WiFi + Cellular data?

I've always disliked the xG labels, they tend to just be confusing

"Cellular" and "cell phone" are not a part of the Australian vernacular. "Mobile phone" is used.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

No, they just don't like companies misleading consumers.

In what way?

Does the new iPad with mobile connectivity work with 4G LTE? Yes

Does it have the hardware capable of it? Yes

Does it work in limited areas? Yes

Was this advertised? Yes, via a footnote.

Is it false advertising to say it doesn't have 4G LTE? Yes
  • Reply 55 of 90
    Quote:

In what way?

If you dont know then I'm not going to teach you.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    Quote:

In the UK we don't consider HSPA+ to be 4G, we don't even consider DC-HSPA 3G despite the fact it gets near-same-speeds as LTE.

Some of us don't consider LTE to be 4G, and it isn't 4G. I only consider LTE-Advanced to be true 4G. I know in the UK the ONLY phone I know of that ever mentioned what speeds it could connect to is the iPhone 3G, we don't call phones or tablets here by what connectivity they have, because we know it will just work on whatever network we wish.

as long as it isn't an American product.

...and WiMax is?
  • Reply 57 of 90
    Quote:

If you dont know then I'm not going to teach you.

You left out the parts where a new iPad which takes a SIM, purchased in Australia HAS the hardware AND the capability of connecting to 4G LTE networks in a limited geographical area, as was advertised from day one on Apple's website.

Saying it doesn't is a lie.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:

You know every iPad user in Australia and know for a fact that not one was returned by this event?

None of the hundred or so we sold as I said, perhaps the ACCC has a point, people can't comprehend the written word very well any more.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    Quote:

You left out the parts where a new iPad which takes a SIM, purchased in Australia HAS the hardware AND the capability of connecting to 4G LTE networks in a limited geographical area, as was advertised from day one on Apple's website.

Saying it doesn't is a lie.

Yawn....perhaps you should work for Apple's marketing department if you think that's ok.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    Quote:

None of the hundred or so we sold.

Ahh you sell Apple gear...all makes sense now. Biased much?