Apple removes free trials of iWork, Aperture, refers users to Mac App Store

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014


Free trials of the iWork suite and Aperture are no longer available for download on Apple's website, as customers are now directed to view the software on the Mac App Store.



The trial versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote '09 can no longer be downloaded from Apple as of Monday, and the same goes for Aperture 3. Their removal was first noted on Monday by MacStories.



Users browsing Apple's website are asked to view the software on the Mac App Store. However, there is no free trial of any of the four applications available on the Mac App Store.



"The trial version of iWork is no longer supported," Apple's website now reads. "But you can easily purchase Keynote, Pages, and Numbers from the Mac App Store to start creating beautiful presentations, documents, and spreadsheets today."



The notice for those searching for the Aperture 3 free trial states: "If you currently have a copy of the Aperture 3 Trial installed on your Mac, you must delete it from your Applications folder before downloading Aperture 3 from the Mac App Store."











Each of the applications found in the iWork suite — Pages, Keynote and Numbers — can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $19.99 each. Aperture 3 is also available for $79.99.



Apple's new move away from free trials of its paid software comes as the company has discontinued essentially all of its boxed retail software. The company's transition away from physical media has been spurred by the success of devices like the iPad and MacBook Air, which have minimal inputs and lack spinning disc drives.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

«1

Comments

  • hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 11,884member, moderator
    Hoping for iWork 12 and Aperture 4 please!
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Hoping for iWork 12 and Aperture 4 please!



    I don't see the latter until at least next year. Probably late.



    And at this point, I don't see iWork '13 until, well? next year?
  • hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 11,884member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    I don't see the latter until at least next year. Probably late.



    And at this point, I don't see iWork '13 until, well? next year?





    iWork X and the improvements coming to iCloud in Mountain Lion should get along like Peanut Butter and Jelly.



    Aperture 4 could be a ways off judging from the avg time between major versions historically.
  • macapptrainingmacapptraining Posts: 49member
    I guess the free trials technically aren't necessary anymore since the apps are much less expensive now that they're downloadable on the Mac App Store. Remember the days when Final Cut Studio was $1300? Or Aperture at $300? For some, the lack of a trial may hurt but overall Apple does make excellent software that is now at a more affordable price.
  • igorleandroigorleandro Posts: 36member
    Trials are important. Lets say customer A wants to buy a new software for handling his photos. He/she will probably download trials and check which one is more suitable to his/er needs before buying. Specifically for Aperture, which has direct competition.



    Now, without the trial, that same person might just go for the other option with the trial and end up liking it, without actually trying the other software.



    I particularly did exactly that. Without the trial though, I wonder if my choice would have been different.
  • boogabooga Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post


    I guess the free trials technically aren't necessary anymore since the apps are much less expensive now that they're downloadable on the Mac App Store. Remember the days when Final Cut Studio was $1300? Or Aperture at $300? For some, the lack of a trial may hurt but overall Apple does make excellent software that is now at a more affordable price.



    Either that, or the App Store is going to soon have free trials. Maybe even paid upgrades so we don't have a zillion pieces of AbandonWare as companies can't afford to update things anymore.
  • conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Good. If you don't have enough confidence in Apple to buy their software without a demo, you shouldn't be using a mac in the first place!



    /Am I doing it right?
  • unkown bloggerunkown blogger Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    iWork X and the improvements coming to iCloud in Mountain Lion should get along like Peanut Butter and Jelly.



    Aperture 4 could be a ways off judging from the avg time between major versions historically.



    I don't agree. Aperture 3 came out in early 2010 - 2.5 years ago. Previous major releases have happened in less time and more time. We're in the ballpark for another major release of Aperture.



    As for iWork, they're desperately in need of updates for the same iCloud support that exists in their iOS counterparts.
  • cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    One does hope the Mac App Store soon includes the option to demo an app.



    This could be done in two ways, either a 'XX-day trial' (like normal demos), or they could use something like 'XX-hours of app use'.
  • feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post


    Good. If you don't have enough confidence in Apple to buy their software without a demo, you shouldn't be using a mac in the first place!



    /Am I doing it right?



    This statement could not be said about Final Cut Pro X
  • hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 11,884member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unkown Blogger View Post


    I don't agree. Aperture 3 came out in early 2010 - 2.5 years ago. Previous major releases have happened in less time and more time. We're in the ballpark for another major release of Aperture.



    As for iWork, they're desperately in need of updates for the same iCloud support that exists in their iOS counterparts.



    Oops my bad! I thought I saw 2011. Yup it's time for Aperture 4. I'm kind of guessing that Mountain Lion will becomes Apple's Big Bang for cloud infrastructure. I can't wait because i'm tired of Wifi or tethered sync.
  • 2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 82member
    Amazing we're still at iWork 09. There remain significant deficiencies in these apps, especially the ability to synch with other devices/computers, quicktime in Keynote, etc.



    I hope Apple hasn't made the iWork Suite the poor child of their software portfolio.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post


    I hope Apple hasn't made the iWork Suite the poor child of their software portfolio.



    That place is permanently reserved for Final Cut Pro X. I better not need a sarcasm tag.
  • razorpitrazorpit Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post


    This statement could not be said about Final Cut Pro X



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    That place is permanently reserved for Final Cut Pro X. I better not need a sarcasm tag.



    I'm not a Final Cut Pro X user, yet I realized there were some major issue in the initial release. Correct me if I'm wrong, Apple has released some major updates as time has passed. Certainly one could say there has been a lot more love given to Final Cut than there has been to iWork '09.
  • 2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    That place is permanently reserved for Final Cut Pro X. I better not need a sarcasm tag.



    Not if there is any truth to this story.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post


    Not if there is any truth to this story.



    Quote:

    I tried to get them to provide hints on upcoming hardware, but no hints were provided.



    AWW and I'm sure he was SO CLOSE, too.
  • feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post


    I'm not a Final Cut Pro X user, yet I realized there were some major issue in the initial release. Correct me if I'm wrong, Apple has released some major updates as time has passed. Certainly one could say there has been a lot more love given to Final Cut than there has been to iWork '09.



    Yes they have made some updates but it's not nearly where Final Cut 7 was. I won't let my editor touch Final Cut Pro X until it has all of the missing features.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post


    Yes they have made some updates but it's not nearly where Final Cut 7 was.



    So what's still missing?
  • lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorleandro View Post


    Trials are important. Lets say customer A wants to buy a new software for handling his photos. He/she will probably download trials and check which one is more suitable to his/er needs before buying. Specifically for Aperture, which has direct competition.



    Now, without the trial, that same person might just go for the other option with the trial and end up liking it, without actually trying the other software.



    I particularly did exactly that. Without the trial though, I wonder if my choice would have been different.



    Actually given many studies the world over it seem that most people will not go beyond the software that came with their machines. This evidence was what actually got Microsoft in trouble back in the 90's.



    Of course these studies were based on Windows users and Mac users have been found to be more intelligent (well we do use Macs) so their willingness to experiment is more likely I guess so yes you may be right.
  • macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post


    Yes they have made some updates but it's not nearly where Final Cut 7 was. I won't let my editor touch Final Cut Pro X until it has all of the missing features.



    I can understand waiting for Apple to include feature that you specifically used but "all of the missing features" seems demanding and restrictive.



    Have you converted to another companies products? Why or why not?



    I believe Apple missed the lowest common denominator for Final Cut Pro X but has made tremendous effort correcting the perceived (and mostly real) issues. I believe Apple will continue to improve Final Cut Pro X because content creation is so vital to their current business model. I certainly believe that Apple wouldn't be as successful if they didn't provide the best content and content creation across their product lines.
Sign In or Register to comment.