Samuel L. Jackson featured in new iPhone commercial [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

A new iPhone commercial from Verizon featuring actor Samuel L. Jackson has aired on ESPN, marking the return of famous talent to Apple product ads.

The spot, which reportedly first aired Monday on ESPN's Sportscenter, seems to be a Verizon-made commercial, though an abundance of Apple logos throughout make it an "official" Apple ad, reports The Next Web.

In the 30-second spot, Jackson uses Apple's Siri virtual assistant as he makes gazpacho, asking the voice-recognizing software for cooking directions, where to buy ingredients and to set timers.

Unlike Apple's recent ads, the entire commercial is music-free and without narration, which could mean that it wasn't produced by the company's advertising agency.

Credit: Shawn King

Apple previously used celebrities like Bono in iPod commercials, but ultimately moved away from high-profile hires to put focus on the product being advertised. As in the tech giant's latest iPhone and iPad ads, the device is the star while actors play small roles and are merely there to interact with the products.

Update: A second celebrity spot featuring actress Zooey Deschanel (via Mac Stories) has also begun airing. The commercial promotes Apple's Siri on the Sprint network.

Credit: Television Promos

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In the 30-second spot, Jackson uses Apple's Siri virtual assistant as he makes gazpacho, asking the voice-recognizing software for cooking directions, where to buy ingredients and to set timers.

Does Siri respond "Dumbass, you don't cook Gazpacho, and there is nothing to time"?
  • Reply 2 of 37
    hdboyhdboy Posts: 7member
    As shown at the end, this is a Verizon TV ad, not an Apple ad. So, Apple still is not using celebrities in ads. Verizon is.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdboy View Post

So, Apple still is not using celebrities in ads.

And that's for the best, I think. Their products already carry enough celebrity to them.

Well, maybe Jeff Goldblum again. For old times' sake.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    I wonder if Siri knows what Marcellus Wallace looks like.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    No no. This is the ultimate iPhone Samuel L Jackson Commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hn2YS0YYbI
  • Reply 6 of 37
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    "sequences shortened." no shit.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I can see it now:

"The amazing iPhone 4S.

When you absolutely, positively, gotta have the best motherfuckin' phone in the room.

Accept no substitutes."
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:

As shown at the end, this is a Verizon TV ad, not an Apple ad. So, Apple still is not using celebrities in ads. Verizon is.

Just saw Zooey Deschanel version where she's planning dinner on a rainy night, ends with her streaming a song. Saw on Fox with AT&T at the end, then on NBC with Sprint at the end.

Both only had "3G" at the top. No 4G symbol for AT&T.

It's another Apple campaign, and ends just like other Apple ads have in the past, featuring a carrier. Definitely Apple.

And before anyone chimes in again about how celebrities cheapen the iPhone cachet, I refer you to the first ever iPhone commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nyYloJyq9M
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

Actually I don't think that's true. I also saw it during SportsCenter tonight and did see the Verizon part at the end, but then just saw another one for Sprint that was very similar using actress Zooey Deschanel. Exact same setup using Siri for daily tasks, but showed Sprint at the end.

Looks like Apple did produce these for each of the 3 main US wireless carriers. They did the same with ads last year.

This is however the first time I've really seen them using celebs as one of the main points of their ads. Definitely a departure from the Steve Jobs era.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Just saw the Jackson and Deschanel commercials within 15 minutes of each other during 'How I Met Your Mother' on CBS.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Good thing Siri answered Sam Jackson correctly or he would've cussed Siri out..
  • Reply 12 of 37
    I'd love to see Jackson give the keynote speeches. They'd be so much fun. Tim is good but kind of bland.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel21x View Post

I'd love to see Jackson give the keynote speeches. They'd be so much fun. Tim is good but kind of bland.

Forget about Hologram Tupac. I want to see Hologram Steve for Apple Keynotes Tim Cook bores me as well.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

Forget about Hologram Tupac. I want to see Hologram Steve for Apple Keynotes Tim Cook bores me as well.

Tim Cook is rather boring. I understand that he is busy with iOS development, but why can't Scott Forstall do these keynotes? He is hands down their best presenter now, and I always get that feeling of "F*ck YEAH!!!" when he speaks about things just like I used to with Steve.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Precious yet tedious. Cloying yet cold. Offensive in the all-too-common assumption that modern celebrities are models for anything other than narcissism and a pathetic, doomed obsession with popularity.

But more to the point? A blatant, arrogant misrepresentation of the product.

(Though I confess did enjoy the notion of a woman so profoundly, unpardonably stupid that she looks out the window and asks her phone if it's raining. Tell me it's pronounced "Zoo-ee," please.)
  • Reply 16 of 37
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

. Definitely a departure from the Steve Jobs era.

well the man has been dead for six months.

Seriously can we get off the whole 'this isn't how Steve did it' routine. It's as annoying as the 'Steve would never approve this' (that you can't back up with any facts)
  • Reply 17 of 37
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Tim Cook is rather boring. I understand that he is busy with iOS development, but why can't Scott Forstall do these keynotes?

They likely have Tim doing them because he isn't a rockstar personality. The last thing Apple needs is the public equating the company with one individual again. Have the stocks plunge every time said person sneezes or goes in for a checkup, or someone starts a rumor he's leaving.

With Tim at the helm the focusis on the products, not the person. Just as Apple likely wants it
  • Reply 18 of 37
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Siri, what do they call a quarter pounder with cheese in France?
  • Reply 19 of 37
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Good thing Siri answered Sam Jackson correctly or he would've cussed Siri out..

Do they speak English in "I'm really sorry about this but I cannot take any requests right now. Please try again later."? Say "I'm really sorry about this but I cannot take any requests right now. Please try again later" one more time muthuh Fkuh!
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

I wonder if Siri knows what Marcellus Wallace looks like.

Actually...