Designer Philippe Starck confirms 'revolutionary' project is Jobs family yacht

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

After reports that renowned French designer Philippe Starck was working on a "revolutionary project" with Apple set off a round of speculation, the designer has confirmed that the project actually relates to a yacht for the family of the late Steve Jobs.

A spokeswoman for Starck told The Wall Street Journal that Jobs had worked together with Starck on the project.

“It’s not a project with Apple. It’s a private project that began with Steve Jobs and that has been taken over by his wife,” the spokeswoman said.

Late last week, Starck was quoted by a French site as saying that he was working with Apple on a "revolutionary" project that would come out in eight months. Speculation immediately surged that the project was potentially related to an rumored Apple television. The Cupertino, Calif., company quickly responded by confirming that it was not working on any products with Starck.

Starck had also revealed in the interview that he met with Jobs once a month in Palo Alto, Calif., for seven years and is now meeting with Jobs' wife. AppleInsider reported last Friday that the project Starck was referring to was likely to be a yacht that Jobs was working on before his death.

Feadship's "Breathe" concept super yacht

Jobs' biographer Walter Isaacson revealed details about the yacht in his book "Steve Jobs." The Apple co-founder apparently began designing the boat after his "best vacation" -- a cruise from Italy to Turkey. He repeatedly redesigned the boat and nearly canceled the project when he was sick in 2009.

"I didn't think I would be alive when it got done," Jobs told Isaacson. "But that made me so sad, and I decided that working on the design was fun to do, and maybe I have a shot at being alive when it's done."

Isaacson noted that the boat was "sleek and minimalist," based on the models and drawings of the project Jobs showed. The plans included a special glass designed by the "chief engineer of the Apple stores" to provide structural support. Custom yacht builder Feadship had been constructing the boat.

"I know that it's possible I will die and leave Laurene with a half-built boat," Jobs said. "But I have to keep going on it. If I don't, it's an admission that I'm about to die."

Though Jobs did not live to see the completion of the project, the yacht may still see completion since Starck and Laurene Jobs have continued to work on it.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Even though SJ's wife is wealthy in the $Bs, owning a yacht is pain and expensive. Unless you live in one and it is a passion, it just makes sense to rent. Want to sail the Caribean? No problem... there are all kinds of boats for rent. Prefer European waters? Just wire the money and they will pick you up from your private jet in a limo and stamp your passport at the gate. Same thing with private jets... just get a NJ account. After your are finished, just pass the gratuities and wipe your mouth. No fuss, no muss.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Even though SJ's wife is wealthy in the $Bs, owning a yacht is pain and expensive. Unless you live in one and it is a passion, it just makes sense to rent. Want to sail the Caribean? No problem... there are all kinds of boats for rent. Prefer European waters? Just wire the money and they will pick you up from your private jet in a limo and stamp your passport at the gate. Same thing with private jets... just get a NJ account. After your are finished, just pass the gratuities and wipe your mouth. No fuss, no muss.

I think the same about houses. Why buy multiple houses round the world when you can just rent or get a plush hotel.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    The only thing minimalist about that thing is maybe it's paint job. That's a massive boat. And unless Jobs was secretly a drug smuggler, I can't imagine that the interior would be all open space. "minimalism" and "boats greater than 30' long" don't mix.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I think the same about houses. Why buy multiple houses round the world when you can just rent or get a plush hotel.

Seriously? To each their own.

I'd rather have a few homes around the globe than a depreciating piece of property--a yacht.

Now if one is a Billionaire who wants to travel to exotic locations without flying and you have the means to travel rapidly around the globe, by yacht and don't care to waste money in hotels, I'd say a yacht with a few access boats to shore is a dream come true, if you're going to travel around the globe.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:

Yea but then you wouldn't be able to design your own.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Apple Insider. The true insider for Mac freaks. A place where you can troll or even spew out colorful metaphors. And yet you can accuse them of being something they are not and still won't get banned. Try that on Mac Rumors and your banned. Thank you Apple Insider for allowing true freedom of speech.

Oh and for the yacht. Can I bring my deep sea fishing rod along. Yeah baby.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Steve Jobs also had a private jet.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Speculation immediately surged that the project was potentially related to an rumored Apple television.

I don't recall such a surge in speculation, merely the furious cracking of whips by the stock manipulators trying to rouse the dead horse.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

"I know that it's possible I will die and leave Laurene with a half-built boat," Jobs said. "But I have to keep going on it. If I don't, it's an admission that I'm about to die."

I can understand Laurene wanting to finish the project if it's something she wanted herself but if it is because of what Steve wanted, there's little sense in having a boat without a captain.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    does it have an iPod dock?
  • Reply 10 of 55
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    When you have Billions there's no problem owning multiple yachts and homes...
  • Reply 11 of 55
    ajmasajmas Posts: 596member
    iYacht?
  • Reply 12 of 55
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    and I was worried that Apple's next product would be something that would't appeal to the mass market.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I can understand Laurene wanting to finish the project if it's something she wanted herself but if it is because of what Steve wanted, there's little sense in having a boat without a captain.

Very few yacht owners act as their own captain. They almost always hire a captain for the vessel.

Quote:

When you have that many billions of dollars, depreciation on a boat is insignificant. Mrs. Jobs has more money than she, her children, and her grandchildren could spend in several lifetimes. It simply becomes a matter of convenience and pleasure. Many people are comfortable with their own environment and prefer owning a yacht to renting multiple yachts - even if renting is cheaper. By owning:

- They get to design it the way they want exactly to their specifications

- They can leave their belongings on the yacht and not have to pack before and after a cruise

- They have a captain and crew on staff and always deal with the same people

If you're rich enough that the money doesn't matter, that's very appealing.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    i hope thAt this boat is bigger and has more taste (alot like Apple products) than Bill gate's boat!... i hope so because it will be a showdown of 5 BILLION (the Jobs' fortune) vs 50 BILLION (the Gates' fortune)

Didn't Mr. Gates say that he was going to give away his fortune?...

I wonder if he is going to stop when his fortune is equal to the Jobs' fortune...
  • Reply 15 of 55
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    The two happiest days of a Yacht owners life. The day they buy it and the day they sell it.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

The only thing minimalist about that thing is maybe it's paint job. That's a massive boat.

Struggling to understand the idea that Minimalism and Size have anything to do with each other.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Very few yacht owners act as their own captain. They almost always hire a captain for the vessel....

I think you missed Marvin's meaning? Marvin did you mean that it would be no fun without Steve?
  • Reply 18 of 55
    simba37simba37 Posts: 13member

I have a feeling that the little blue squares are decorative and not really windows, otherwise it would like a whole lot like this:

• Reply 19 of 55
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    I personally think the damn thing is gorgeous, and if that's they way they want to spend their money - more power to 'em

http://ia600401.us.archive.org/2/ite...pipeaboard.mp3
  • Reply 20 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiMBa37 View Post

I have a feeling that the little blue squares are decorative and not really windows, otherwise it would like a whole lot like this:

It is unlikely that Steve would add useless decorative elements.