Release of 'iPad mini' from Apple viewed as 'question of when, not if'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I have yet to see any realistic discussions about apps on an iPad mini.

It's hard enough to get developers to make two app sizes: iPhone and iPad.

An iPad mini would have a screen too small for most iPad apps to run on since many already have very small UI elements as they try to cram as much as possible onto a 10 inch screen. Scaling down to 7 inches would create a poor user experience.

iPhone apps, on the other hand, would work quite well as they'd be very large on an iPad mini, though obviously less large than they are on an iPad.

Would people buy an iPad mini that could only run iPhone apps? Perhaps, though I doubt it.

Unless Apple markets it as an eReader (iReader?) that can also run iPhone apps, I don't see this one happening. I definitely don't see Apple calling it an iPad - not even an iPad mini - if it can't run iPad apps... and scaling iPad apps down to 7 inches will create a pretty bad user experience.

No it won't, you really have no idea what your talking about. The only problem would be for people with bad eye site who haven't bought glasses yet If there was such a big problem with such a small screen people with iPhone's would have complained a long time ago. No one is asking you to buy one but please don't make up these silly negative points that don't exist, do you currently own a 7 inch tablet? I do and it's great, I use it much more then my iPad just because it's much lighter and easier to carry in my purse. The Samsung 7.7" has a resolution of 1280 x 800, 220 dpi and I can see everything just fine and I have exactly the same apps that I have on my iPad.

A iPad 7.85" is going to be awesome and I for one would love to own one and no app will suffer, that's just silly to say.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

"Commenting on avalanche of tablets heading to market. Just a handful of credible entrants. Almost all use 7" screen, compared to iPad at nearly 10" screen. 7" screen is only 45% as large as iPad's screen. Hold an iPad in portrait view and draw a horizontal line halfway down. What's left is a 7" screen...too small. There are clear limits to how close elements can be on the screen before users can't touch accurately. We believe 10-inch screen is minimum necessary." -- Steve Jobs

?One naturally thinks that a 7-inch screen would offer 70 percent of the benefits of a 10-inch screen. Unfortunately, this is far from the truth. ? The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isn?t because we don?t want to hit [a lower] price point, it?s because we think the screen is too small to express the software.? -- Steve Jobs

This analyst idea, amongst many others, is dead on arrival.

But things have changed...

It is now possible to make a display with higher pixel density (and the hardware components needed to support it).

The Blackberry PlayBook has a screen resolution of 1024 x 600 -- in landscape mode, the kb took up 1/2 the display -- you couldn't see the document you were typing.

Supposedly, the iPad mini will retain 1024 x 768 in a smaller form factor. Things like today's faster CPUs/GPUs allow more flexibility as the iOS and hardware could compensate for the smaller display -- automatically enlarge controls, new controls (like the splittable, transparent kb), new gestures.

• Reply 63 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A 3:2 resolution on a 7" screen, requiring every application to be redesigned and making the device too much taller than it is wide to be easily handled.

Problem(s) created.

I'm sorry but where are you guys getting this from. Nothing will need to be redesigned. Unless iOS is really that bad and I don't think it is. Haven't you guys ever connected your iPad to a monitor, I have, I've even displayed 800 x600 perfectly on a projector and every app worked just fine. Besides iOS version 6 should have resolution independence so all of this is will be a none issue.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm sorry but where are you guys getting this from. Nothing will need to be redesigned. Unless iOS is really that bad and I don't think it is. Haven't you guys ever connected your iPad to a monitor, I have, I've even displayed 800 x600 perfectly on a projector and every app worked just fine.

I see what you're trying to say, but you're missing the point here. You can't just copy-paste to new sizes and new resolutions and new ratios without massive, sweeping change being done to the software being shown.
  • Reply 65 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I see what you're trying to say, but you're missing the point here. You can't just copy-paste to new sizes and new resolutions and new ratios without massive, sweeping change being done to the software being shown.

Of course you can do it with no effort. Just make the iPad mini the same resolution and ratio as the iPhone 4S. PPI will be lower, but the iPhone apps will work just fine on a larger screen as long as resolution and ratio remains the same.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I, too, think that a mini iPad is beginning to make sense.

Ideally, it would be retail priced at $249 -- but $299 seems more likely.

Apple doesn't need to match the KFC or B&N -- they just need to offer a quality product and ecosystem that will impel the customer to opt for Apple at a little higher price.

I don't see any way $249 makes sense. Start with the iPad 3 at 10" and $499. Manufacturing (assembly) costs would be unchanged. RAM would be unchanged. The processor cost would not be changed much, if at all. Overhead is unchanged. Cost of the case and screen and battery would be lower, but not 50% lower. $299 is likely to be possible if they use the same screen resolution as the iPhone.

Quote:

Where did I say anything about needing a retina display? I said iPad apps would have too many UI elements that would be too small to use on a smaller screen. And I'm saying that developers aren't likely to adopt a third version of their apps. So many don't even make a second version for the iPad let alone a 3rd version for an iPad mini.

Let's see if you can understand this if I take it slowly.

1. People use the iPhone by the millions. It's a very popular device.

2. The UI works well on the iPhone. All of those millions of customers have no problem using it.

3. If you scale up the iPhone from 3.5" to 7" (but keep the resolution and ratio the same), there is no need for the developer to do anything. Just use the iPhone 4S version of the app.

4. If it worked at 3.5", why wouldn't it work at 7" - especially since the resolution would still be greater than the original iPad and all the UI elements would be larger than the iPhone.
  • Reply 66 of 89
    Quote:

Wow, really, that is a horrible design flaw.Wait, why would there be massive changes if the display rez is 1024 x 768? Just because it's in a smaller package nothing needs to be done.
  • Reply 67 of 89
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Most people aren't thinking through the software side of the equation. They're just picturing smaller hardware and thinking "Neat!" They're not addressing apps and scaling.

We're just seeing the latest version of "Apple needs to make a netbook!" Remember how many people swore again and again that Apple was doomed if they couldn't compete with $200 Eee type netbooks. In the end, consumers didn't stick with netbooks because netbooks couldn't really do very much, and the hardware was mostly garbage.

I think Apple is pretty much set on their plan. The current iPhone is the premium model. The previous generation (or two) will be cheaper, The current iPad is the premium model. The previous version will be cheaper.

In the short term, Apple will definitely lose some sales to cheap tablets, just as Apple (and some Android phone makers, for that matter) lose some sales to cheap Android smartphones. There will always be people who choose price over performance, perhaps because they can't afford better, or perhaps because they don't see the value in spending more until they first have enough experience with garbage to realize that saving money can sometimes actually cost more in the end. I know I've made that mistake before. I'm sure we all have.

Apple isn't a low end company. The bottom of the market is brutal because no matter how razor thin a company will slice its profit margins to in order to win on price, someone else will go cheaper. NOBODY is going to beat Amazon on price for tablets because Amazon is willing to make less than zero in profit on theirs.

Apple doesn't need to make a 7 inch iPad any more than they needed to make a 10 inch netbook. I do think a 7 inch iPad would be neat, but I don't see Apple making one.

Keep in mind, many of the same sources swearing that an iPad mini is inevetable are the same sources who swore an iPhone nano was on the way, and they were the same sources who swore Apple couldn't survive without making a 10 inch Apple netbook.

Some things never change.
  • Reply 68 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course you can do it with no effort.

Quote:

?nothing needs to be done.

Again, you're both wrong about that, but keep thinking it's possible without any changes if you will.
  • Reply 69 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Do want! Exactly what I have been needing to fill the gap between my iPhone and iPad.

Wow. You really need a device that is bigger than your phone but smaller than your iPad? And to think there are people wondering wondering where their next meal is going to come from. I think it's just a poor reflection on society that someone has to fill our every want/need. Honestly, what would you do on this device that you could not do on your phone or iPad?
  • Reply 70 of 89
    Quote:

Most people aren't thinking through the software side of the equation. They're just picturing smaller hardware and thinking "Neat!" They're not addressing apps and scaling.

They're not addressing it because it's a non-issue. If Apple uses the same resolution and screen size ratio, they don't need to change anything in the software.

Quote:

Again, you're both wrong about that, but keep thinking it's possible without any changes if you will.

Please enlighten us.

iPhone 4S

Resolution is 960x480

Screen is 3.5" diagonal

Aspect ratio is 3:2

Length is 3"

Width is 2"

Screen is 326 ppi

Now, make a 7" diagonal iPad Mini with the following:

Screen is 7.0" diagonal

Aspect ratio is 3:2

Length is 6"

Width is 4"

Screen is 163 ppi (for comparison, the original iPad was 132)

Now, please tell us exactly what you need to change in the software to make something that is designed for the iPhone 4S to make it work on the 7" iPad Mini.

The answer, of course, is that nothing needs to change. The software has absolutely no way of knowing what the screen size is and an app (or the OS) couldn't tell if it was running on an iPad Mini or an iPhone 4S.

The icons would be roughly the same size as in the iPad 10", just fewer of them on the screen, so icon size would be OK.
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow. You really need a device that is bigger than your phone but smaller than your iPad? And to think there are people wondering wondering where their next meal is going to come from. I think it's just a poor reflection on society that someone has to fill our every want/need. Honestly, what would you do on this device that you could not do on your phone or iPad?

That situation is clearly the minority. The majority of users would either buy it as a second device (for the wife (or husband) or kids) or buy it instead of a different device. A very small number (IMHO) would buy it instead of the iPad 10".
  • Reply 72 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Wow, really, that is a horrible design flaw.Wait, why would there be massive changes if the display rez is 1024 x 768? Just because it's in a smaller package nothing needs to be done.

I fucking hate when people don't even consider thinking before posting.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Quote:

Please enlighten us.

Solipsism can do it far more eloquently than I, though he's probably getting tired of repeating himself to people that just don't get it. I defer to his explanatory skills in this regard.
  • Reply 74 of 89
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I'll say it again: scaling iPhone apps up to a larger size shouldn't be too much of an issue. That's an assumption that seems pretty safe to make. And scaling iPad apps down to a smaller size shouldn't be too much of an issue. That's an assumption that seems pretty safe to make.

In terms of usability: iPhone apps would be fine on a 7 inch screen, just as they are on the current inch screen (though the example given above shows one which wouldn't work as expected if scaled). Optimal? No. Functional? Absolutely. On the other hand, iPad apps scaled down to a mini size would be a nightmare. Technically, it could be done. Then again, technically, iPad apps could be scaled down to display on the iPhone. But, in terms of usability, many iPad apps wouldn't be user friendly on a smaller screen since they weren't designed for it. There will be people who won't be able to understand that fact, of course.

When IS Apple going to start shipping that must-have 10 inch netbook, by the way? Without that in the lineup, Apple is doooooooomed. Or so we were told.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Solipsism can do it far more eloquently than I, though he's probably getting tired of repeating himself to people that just don't get it. I defer to his explanatory skills in this regard.

No I can't. If people think Apple will stick the iOS UI designed for a certain aspect ratio, resolution and size onto a different aspect ratio, resolution or size device despite plenty of clear evidence of Apple's dedication to idealizing the UI for each touch-based display then there is nothing I can say that the blatant facts shouldn't have already told them.

PS: I'm just going to sit back and wait for the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 76 of 89
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Doesn't make sense. A smaller iPad doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be inexpensive. The kindle fire is subsidized in a way, simply because Amazon is counting on one purchasing content from them. At the rate iPads are selling there's no need for Apple to make a smaller version.
  • Reply 77 of 89
    I think iPad Mini is huge possibility, as well as bigger iPhone. Why? Let's talk ppi wise:

iPhone 4/4s:

- 3.5", 326 ppi

New iPad (3rd gen):

- 9.7", 264 ppi

Now if you do the math on ppi for 7.85" iPad Mini with the same 2048x1536 resolution as regular 9.7" iPad, you get 326 ppi for 7.85" iPad Mini. Coincidence?

Similarly, if you were to achieve 264 ppi for iPhone, the screen will need to be 4.3" for the larger screen iPhone.

In the end it will be like this:

iPhone 3.5" -> 326 ppi

iPhone 4.3" -> 264 ppi

iPad 7.85" -> 326 ppi

iPad 9.7" -> 264 ppi

Everything connects, coincidence? maybe... but I would like to think it's a possibility..
  • Reply 78 of 89
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Of course you can do it with no effort. Just make the iPad mini the same resolution and ratio as the iPhone 4S. PPI will be lower, but the iPhone apps will work just fine on a larger screen as long as resolution and ratio remains the same.

This is at odds with what Steve said about why they chose the size of the original iPad screen. Even with the same number of pixels, the change in screen size changes everything. Tallest Skil and Solip are correct.

I think it (a smaller iPad) will eventually come, as Apple would rather their own product be taking sales away from the 9.7" iPad than Amazon's, Google's and so forth.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No I can't. If people think Apple will stick the iOS UI designed for a certain aspect ratio, resolution and size onto a different aspect ratio, resolution or size device despite plenty of clear evidence of Apple's dedication to idealizing the UI for each touch-based display then there is nothing I can say that the blatant facts shouldn't have already told them.

PS: I'm just going to sit back and wait for the iPhone 5.

[Jeff Goldblum]Well, there, uh? there, there it is.[/Jeff Goldblum]
  • Reply 80 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I fucking hate when people don't even consider thinking before posting.

OK, you are correct. The 3 apps out of 500,000 which rely on actual physical dimensions wouldn't work.

But unless you are using your device as a measuring tool, everything else I said is correct.