Apple, Samsung CEOs agree to meet in California for settlement talks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook and Samsung CEO Gee-Sung Choi have agreed to meet in San Francisco, Calif., within the next three months to participate in moderated settlement talks.

Both Apple and Samsung have indicated they are willing to participate in a settlement conference that will be overseen by U.S. Magistrate Judge Joseph C. Spero, according to Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents. The meeting will take place in a San Francisco courthouse.

The two rivals are attempting to settle their ongoing, numerous legal disputes that began last April, when Apple sued Samsung for allegedly copying the look and feel of its popular iPhone and iPad devices. Samsung has shot back with its own patent infringement complaints against Apple, and the companies are now involved in a number of lawsuits against each other around the world.

Cook and Choi will take part in the talks along with their respective general counsels. The meeting came to be after Judge Lucy Koh, who is presiding over two lawsuits Apple has filed against Samsung in the Northern District of California, ordered the parties into an "Alternative Dispute Resolution" effort. Mueller explained that given the situation, both companies had to be cooperative.

"If only one of them had made the CEO available, the other one would have appeared less than constructive," he said.

Koh has set a 90-day deadline for Apple's team, including Cook, to meet with Samsung officials, including Choi, in a hearing overseen by Spero.

That the meeting will take place is by no means an indication that the dispute between Samsung and Apple will be resolved. Google and Oracle took part in a similar hearing last fall, and Mueller noted that those talks failed and both companies are now inc ourt.

Though the courts have essentially forced the two parties to meet, they cannot strong-arm them into a settlement. Mueller said that's why firm trial dates are generally a much more effective way to create a settlement. He said he's "skeptical" that anything will come out of the meeting.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Flintlocks at 10 yards?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I'll second that!
  • Reply 3 of 44
    They're actually meeting at Khitomer, not San Francisco.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member
    It's about f*cking time!
  • Reply 5 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I'll second that!

• Reply 6 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

It's about f*cking time!

I'll second that!
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'll second that!

• Reply 8 of 44
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Apple... make sure with regards to Royalties, you get no less than $25 per phone and $50 per tablet!

/

/

/
  • Reply 9 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    What happens is Apple transcribes the meeting, Sammy copies it but slap a Samsung logo on it.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Flintlocks at 10 yards?

Samsung wanted it settled it over a Warcraft 3 match
  • Reply 11 of 44
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

It's about f*cking time!

Absolutely!
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:

It's about f*cking time!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Absolutely!

Why? What do you have riding on which horse?

How does it - remotely - affect your life one way or another?
  • Reply 13 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This thread is basically a list of anti-Apple users here. Go ahead and read it as such.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have $50 on Tim Cook, by a nose. How about you?
  • Reply 15 of 44
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    The judge is basically telling them to settle. That is BS. Apple or any company should have the right to have judgment that their case has merit or not, and if they are in the right, force the offending company to change their practice of stealing and profiting off others IP and work
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This thread is basically a list of anti-Apple users here. Go ahead and read it as such.

I see more strong Apple supporters on here and only 2 members who could be viewed as anti-Apple with 1 other being borderline at best.

So read it as such if you wish but I've never included the other 6 people, including myself, as anti-Apple people.

In which group should we place you?
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:

I have $50 on Tim Cook, by a nose. How about you?

It's then quite obvious that there's not much going on in your life, and that stuff that matters in your life is worth very little.

That's cool, bro'. Each to his own. Not making a value judgment or anything....
  • Reply 18 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I really, really wish Steve Jobs were still here to attend that meeting. I'd love to see him give the Samsung execs the middle finger. They are probably relieved that he's not here to attend that meeting.

Fighting a case on principles is always expensive and settling out of court will most likely be expected. However, I really believe this should be fought on principal as this would send a clear message to any copy-shop like Samsung that if they don't innovate on their own, they will get sued into oblivion. I think what Samsung has been doing is shameful to say the least. Is it any wonder that the one seriously blatant copy shop that copies Apple in just about every part of Apple's design also happens to end up being the #1 Android manufacturer?
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Samsung: We have a proposal which we feel will satisfy each of your concerns.

Apple: Screw you. We's gone thermonuclear on your ass!
  • Reply 20 of 44
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member
    The sad thing is that Google is really the bigger thief here. They shamelessly knocked off the look and feel of iOS. Then they gave it away to all comers. That absolutely enraged Steve Jobs.

Samsung then stepped in and utilized the pirated OS. To make matters worse, they shamelessly copied the iPhone hardware.

Hard to nail Google in court because you need to prove economic damages and they give the software away for free.

The most equitable solution would be for the court to simply shut down Android and all handset and tablet manufacturers using Android. Hard to do legally, especially given the worldwide distribution.

I'm afraid Apple will be forced to settle for royalty payments. Let's hope they are very very large. They certainly should be enormous.