Apple rejects Greenpeace data center estimate as inaccurate

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014

Apple has taken issue with the consumption estimates for its Maiden, N.C. data center included in a just-published "How Clean is Your Cloud?" report by Greenpeace, noting that renewable energy will provide 50 percent more of the center's power needs than the environmental advocacy group projected.

Greenpeace on Tuesday gave Apple low marks in its new report and criticized it for its reliance on coal-based power. In the report, the organization dismissed Apple's renewable energy efforts for its Maiden, N.C., server farm as providing just 10 percent of "their total generation."

The Cupertino, Calif., company quickly responded in a statement, according to NPR.

"Our data center in North Carolina will draw about 20 megawatts at full capacity, and we are on track to supply more than 60 percent of that power on-site from renewable sources including a solar farm and fuel cell installation which will each be the largest of their kind in the country," said spokeswoman Kristin Huguet. "We believe this industry-leading project will make Maiden the greenest data center ever built, and it will be joined next year by our new facility in Oregon running on 100 percent renewable energy."

Earlier this year, Apple confirmed plans to build a "green" data center in Prineville, Oregon.

Greenpeace said in its original report that it had provided its facility power demand estimates to Amazon and Apple and both had responded that the figures were inaccurate. The group noted that it decided to publish the report anyway and invite the companies to "be transparent and provide more accurate data."

The organization issued a follow-up post on Tuesday explaining the reasoning behind its estimate and commenting on Apple's response.

"While we welcome Apple’s attempt today to provide more specific details on its North Carolina iData Center, it does not appear to have provided the full story, and is instead seeking to provide select pieces of information to make their dirty energy footprint seem smaller," the post read.

Apple revealed in February plans to build a 20-megawatt solar farm and 5-megawatt fuel cell installation for its North Carolina facility. Both projects are the largest non-utility installations of their kind in the U.S.

The Maiden data center opened last spring and provides support to Apple's iCloud and iTunes services. The company has pledged to spend as much as $1 billion on the facility over 10 years in exchange for tax breaks the local government.

A "dirty data" report from the environmental watchdog last year gave Apple the lowest Clean Energy Index score among other technology companies such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Amazon. At the time, the group criticized Apple's decision to base the data center in North Carolina because the state is notorious for having some of the "dirtiest" electricity in the U.S.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Sigh... why does Apple even bother to dignify these publicity-seeking liars with a response!?\
  • Reply 2 of 48
    jumperjumper Posts: 34member
    I can't believe that Apple would even respond to these idiots. Apple these nuts dont deserve any of your time. They just make up this crap. Forget about them and continue on the same path. It's a good one.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Green Peace uses dirty energy as well. How about their protest ships? Think they run on all bio fuel? Not! How about the head quarters that green peace (notice I didn't use capitals on green peace) has it runs on dirty energy as well. Yet they pride them selves as the leader in scoring the rest of the country. What a effn joke.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    In honor of Shitpeace, I will attempt to use up a bunch of extra kilowatts of what is most likely dirty electricity very soon. It's not much, but every little bit helps.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    So, Greenpeace's power consumption projection is off by a factor of five. And They continue to try to paint Apple in a corner. What morons

Jobs was right - Greenpeace would be better served by hiring actual engineers and scientists to do real analysis

Off by 500%! Not even fuc**** close!!! Ha ha. You dumb shits
  • Reply 6 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sigh... why does Apple even bother to dignify these publicity-seeking liars with a response!?\

Just re-issue some of Steve Jobs' classic, profane replies to these imbeciles.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Meanwhile Greenleace use Network Solutions as their web hosting company, a good company but are they as green as Greenleace would like? Have they even checked?
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Don't fall for this nonsense of man-made "man-bear-pig" climate change clap-trap, it's all government funded junk science.

Greenpeace will be exposed in the near future for what they really are: trying to shut down Western economies with their stupid wind turbines that could never replace nuclear, don't give into their fascist demands.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:

They never used to. This sort of thing is new.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

In honor of Shitpeace, I will attempt to use up a bunch of extra kilowatts of what is most likely dirty electricity very soon. It's not much, but every little bit helps.

You can do better than that!

Take some dry cleaning fluid containing TCE and dump it into a water well!
  • Reply 11 of 48
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    So Greenpeace's data-gathering strategy is to publicize a bunch of semi-made-up numbers, hoping to trick the companies into giving up the correct statistics. Classy.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Greenpeace and many green energy fanatics are among the most hypocritical lot there is. They are not for saving the planet. They are only interested in saving their special interest; which is to claim fame and notoriety by any means possible.

What if Apple just decided to say "fuc* the planet" and used NO renewable energy at all? This whole Greenpeace fiasco is pure politics. Pure bull crap.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Move along, nothing to see here.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    you would think Greenpeace would be praising the company that's building the largest solar farm and the largest fuel cell installation in the country. THe other companies have to be laughing that they are being praised for actually doing far less.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Horrunmio View Post

Don't fall for this nonsense of man-made "man-bear-pig" climate change clap-trap, it's all government funded junk science.

Greenpeace will be exposed in the near future for what they really are: trying to shut down Western economies with their stupid wind turbines that could never replace nuclear, don't give into their fascist demands.

Agreed (or should I say 'this'? ).
  • Reply 16 of 48
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I got the inside scoop from Mike Daisey, Apple built a secret tunnel from the Foxconn factories of China to North Carolina, they use the twelve year old workers they are hiding from labour inspectors to mine coal and use it in their secret underground power plant, the children are fed on whale meat by products from Apple's whaling fleet, the whale oil is used to lubricate MacBook keyboards, not only that the rare Brazilian rainforest trees being cut down for Foxconns plants in Brazil are being used as props in the mineshafts where the twelve year olds work 27 hours a day, 9 days a week.

It seems just as plausible as Greenpeace's story.

How come Apple's data centre uses 5 times as much power as similar sized data centres?

That's what Greenpeace base their figures on.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You all need to stop bellyaching and do your part for the environment. I buy a new hybrid SUV every year and only use disposable plates, bowls and utensils so I can fill up my recycle bin every week. People think I'm Green and that's what counts.

Seriously though, the best way to lower your carbon footprint outside of suicide is to not have kids. I encourage all hippies to follow both parts of my pragmatic advice.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

you would think Greenpeace would be praising the company that's building the largest solar farm and the largest fuel cell installation in the country. THe other companies have to be laughing that they are being praised for actually doing far less.

I think the greenie hippies are saying that Apple doesn't tell them what they are doing, or promising to do things, so they are therefore B.A.D.

Apple should realize that promises are just as good as delivery to brain dead NGOs like this mob. Apple should do what is a popular saying in my country: feed the chooks.

Just make up plans to convert to 100% methane from the local sewer, One Day, with blow by blow reporting to greenpeace, some day soon, and Apple would all of a sudden be a saint.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    I have never heard Greenpeace acknowledging a good thing ever!! so when they start shouting about the evil things humans are doing destroying the earths atmosphere it really sets of a jarring note to the ears thats all and you end up wishing that they would just STFU.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

Greenpuke needs to mind their own buisness .