Apple seeds Safari 5.2 Update 3 to developers

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Following the release of OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3, Apple has seeded Safari 5.2 Update 3 that carries a few new features and bug fixes.

Among the usual bug fixes, Safari 5.2 Update 3 comes with a new scalable vector graphics filter, redesigned Web Inspector and HTML5 media controllers. Also included are CSS filters, Web Audio API and HTML5 timed tracks.

From the release notes:

SVG Filters

Quote:

Using SVG Filters, you can combine several filter primitive elements and light source elements into a single sophisticated filter, which can then be applied to any SVG element.

HTML Assets

Quote:

An HTML5 media controller can synchronize or otherwise coordinate the playback of multiple HTML5 media elements. For instance, you could use a media controller to overlay a sign language interpretation track over a video track, and keep the two in sync.

A media controller has the same methods and events as an HTML media element. This means that, for example, when you call the pause() method on a controller, any

media that is slaved to that controller will be paused. Or, when a controller receives a canplaythrough event, all media slaved to that controller can be played through to the end without buffering.

HTML5 timed text tracks enable captions, subtitles, descriptions, and chapters by letting you specify the timing of text that appears with an HTML5 video element.

CSS Filters

Quote:

CSS filters let you apply pixel effects to any image or web page element with a single line of code. Available filter functions include sepia, hue-rotate, saturate, invert, opacity, brightness, contrast, blur, grayscale, and drop-shadow. Filters can be combined, and changes to the filter property can be animated with CSS transitions or animations.

Web Inspector

Quote:

The Web Inspector has a streamlined new design that speeds up common development tasks. It features a new all new iconography, a navigation bar that lets you easily switch between different web page elements, a persistent JavaScript console, integrated timelines, and more. Additionally, JavaScript debugging is now enabled by default, and the page source view now opens in the Web Inspector automatically.

Web Audio API

Quote:

The Web Audio API is a high-level JavaScript API for processing and synthesizing audio in web applications. While the HTML5 audio element allows for basic streaming and audio playback, the Web Audio API is powerful enough for more complex audio applications that require mixing, processing, or filtering audio data, such as a modern game audio engine or an interactive audio production application.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I hope they've adjusted the Web Inspector so that it doesn't keep opening at 75% of the entire page height, or at least remembers where we left it like earlier versions of Safari did. Every time that (otherwise extremely useful) thing climbs so far up, I think two words: "grandpa pants."

And "synthesizing audio"? Hello, lovely surprise.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I'm still not a fan of the slightly revamped tabs.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Well I hope the fix all the bugs that they have with version 5.1.4 and 5.1.5. I can not log in to one of my banking sites. I can not log in to my son college site. I have read many folks with these problems as well. Google Chrome and Firefox work fine so what is up with Apple? ONe can only hope that they fix the issue or I will switch.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mactommy View Post

Well I hope the fix all the bugs that they have with version 5.1.4 and 5.1.5. I can not log in to one of my banking sites. I can not log in to my son college site. I have read many folks with these problems as well. Google Chrome and Firefox work fine so what is up with Apple? ONe can only hope that they fix the issue or I will switch.

I seriously doubt those are problems with Safari directly.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    Hopefully, RSS feeds are part of 5.2 as they are in 5.1.5. As of now, they are not included. I don't want to access the feeds via another app. Much easier within the same browser I'm using for other internet surfing.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I hope this fixes the previous issue where your Mac would fire a particle gun at your back, digitise you, then suck you down into an incredible electronic world where you are forced to fight against others 'apps' in a collection of electronic games.

That bug really pissed me off.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

Most likely these are out of date technologies expecting some crud from Microsoft at the other end of the wire that the browsers you name are willing to stoop to. Their days are numbered fear not. If these kind of sites are not compliant with iPads soon, let alone Macs, they are in deep trouble.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    To read all about it:

http://www.webkit.org/blog/
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

WebKit 2 is what is up with Apple and all the restructuring of WebKit currently going on to expand the entire support for HTML 5/CSS3/SVG1.1/1.2 and more.

Download a Nightly to find out: http://nightly.webkit.org/
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Have you raised a support ticket with the sites? Given that both Chrome and Safari are Webkit based, I am not sure what could be the problem.

BTW try clearing all your cookies in Safari. Some sites get in a funny state with old cookies.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    joostdjoostd Posts: 1member

The problem is that there is a bug in Safari 5.1.4 and 5.1.5 that breaks logging in to certain sites. This is not something those sites can easily solve - it's something Apple needs to fix in Safari, and in fact: they have. I just verified with Safari 5.2 update 3 and the problem is gone.

So you'll just have to wait until 5.2 is released and use some other browser in the meantime...

• Reply 12 of 13

wow! i hope they'll improve more. the bugs are pissing me off

• Reply 13 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

You should be prepared for a slight UI change. The search bar is now gone and works like Google Chrome with the address bar also being the search bar as well. Also tabs look a little different as well.