Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple expanding operations in Europe, will create 500 jobs in Cork, Ireland

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I was under the impression Apple was building a solar panel field in north carolina... So why is Greenpeace saying Apple is not green for icloud?

• Reply 2 of 8
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

That should be Bruton, not Burton.

Greenpeace should check their facts.  Apple's servers are all in the US, there are none in Ireland, so the power source is whatever they use in Kentucky.

• Reply 3 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

That should be Bruton, not Burton.

Greenpeace should check their facts.  Apple's servers are all in the US, there are none in Ireland, so the power source is whatever they use in Kentucky.

Coal.

• Reply 4 of 8
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Good for Cork. That plant has been there for 4 years before the Mac, 21 years before the iPod, and 27-30 years before the iPhone/iPad. Apple is hardly a fly by nighter in Ireland, and it isn't just for the low corporation tax, since it predates that.

As for that Apple pays 24% effective tax, in total, so most must be declared outside Ireland. Or indeed the UK which as 18% tax.

HMRC can kiss my ass - Apple have no real operation in the UK and you pay corporation tax where you are based, not because you sell to a country. Same with Amazon, the UK authorities are complaining that Amazon owes them corporation tax for sales in the country, but Amazon are not based in the UK. 

only Americans can really complain, I think, about corporation tax evasion by Google, Apple or Amazon. Despite it's capitalist credentials, however, I think the US charges too much Corportation tax, the Laffer curve applies. Apple would bring it home if the tax rate where lower than 20%.

• Reply 5 of 8
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

What they fail to mention is that 50 of the Ireland jobs are security guards to keep Greenpeace off their property. image

• Reply 6 of 8
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Good for Cork. That plant has been there for 4 years before the Mac, 21 years before the iPod, and 27-30 years before the iPhone/iPad. Apple is hardly a fly by nighter in Ireland, and it isn't just for the low corporation tax, since it predates that.

As for that Apple pays 24% effective tax, in total, so most must be declared outside Ireland. Or indeed the UK which as 18% tax.

HMRC can kiss my ass - Apple have no real operation in the UK and you pay corporation tax where you are based, not because you sell to a country. Same with Amazon, the UK authorities are complaining that Amazon owes them corporation tax for sales in the country, but Amazon are not based in the UK. 

only Americans can really complain, I think, about corporation tax evasion by Google, Apple or Amazon. Despite it's capitalist credentials, however, I think the US charges too much Corportation tax, the Laffer curve applies. Apple would bring it home if the tax rate where lower than 20%.

Your argument just nose dived into ignorance. Thanks for that Laffer curve bit of fabricated Economic Theory.

• Reply 7 of 8
    i386i386 Posts: 91member

I no longer buy Dell for so more years now because of their mass exodus out of Limerick. Great to see Apple continue to investigate in Ireland especially in these uncertain ecomonic times.  

• Reply 8 of 8

oh that's good to know. my sister always wants to work at apple