Apple predicted to discontinue 17-inch MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Though updates for the 13- and 15-inch models are on the horizon, Apple may not continue making its 17-inch MacBook Pro, according to one analyst.

Ming-Chi Kuo with KGI Securities predicted on Monday that Apple is "likely to stop making" the 17-inch MacBook Pro this year. He cited falling shipments with the company's top-of-the-line notebook as the primary reason he thinks it will get the ax.

Kuo has a respectable track record with regard to Apple's products. In particular, he was first to indicate in 2011 that Apple would phase out its legacy 13-inch polycarbonate MacBook.

Soon after, the white, entry-level MacBook was completely discontinued. It has been completely replaced at the $999 price point by the 11.6-inch MacBook Air, while education institutions can buy a special, less powerful version of the 13.3-inch MacBook Air in bulk for $999.

Apple is expected to launch a revamped MacBook Pro lineup in the coming weeks, featuring a new thin-and-light design similar to the MacBook Air, and powered by Intel's latest-generation Ivy Bridge processors. The launch of new MacBook Pros is expected to be staggered, with the new 15-inch models leading the way as soon as this month.

MacBook Pro

A new 13-inch MacBook Pro is expected to quickly follow and launch in June, bringing new features like solid-state storage and a thinner design lacking an optical drive. But while recent rumors have mentioned the 15-inch and 13-inch models, little has been said about a redesigned 17-inch MacBook Pro.

AppleInsider reported in February that Apple is gearing up to introduce radically redesigned MacBook Pro models this year, borrowing the ultra-thin design the company pioneered with its MacBook Air. One person familiar with the new MacBook Pro designs indicated "they're all going to look like MacBook Airs."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 199
    If they would make a 17" pro with an air form factor, they would sell at least one on launch day. Hoping they don't discontinue...
  • Reply 2 of 199
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I called this.

• Reply 3 of 199
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I won't be buying a MacBook next year then. Was planning on buying a 17inch so if they discontinue it. I'll look elsewhere
  • Reply 4 of 199
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

That would suck.  I can't work with an 11, 13, or 15 inch laptop.  17 is a must for me, although my current one is less than a year old and will last me a few more years.

• Reply 5 of 199
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

I thought about a 17" MBP but in the end went for a 15" MBP i7 plus an LCD Apple Cinema Display.  At the desk i have the big screen (in fact of course this plus the 15" screen)  and on the go a compact yet useable 15".  The 17" seemed too big for a portable yet not large enough for serious work.  I found my decision perfect for me.

• Reply 6 of 199
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

That's idiotic. I seriously doubt it.

Discontinue the 13" MacBook Pro, they mean.

• Reply 7 of 199
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member

hope its not true. the 17" is the best Mac Book Pro available.

• Reply 8 of 199
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

I hope this news is true. The 17" MacBook Pro annoys me. These are supposed to be portable machines ffs. Consumers don't want to carry these huge laptops around with them. 15" should be the maximum.

• Reply 9 of 199
    eksodos wrote: »
    <p> I hope this news is true. The 17" MacBook Pro annoys me. These are supposed to be portable machines ffs. Consumers don't want to carry these huge laptops around with them. 15" should be the maximum.</p>

I do. I need the space to do 3D modeling etc.
    If this is true( I doubt it), I will be disappointed in apple and they will lose any shot of ever having my business for computers.
  • Reply 10 of 199
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

• Reply 11 of 199
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's idiotic. I seriously doubt it.

Discontinue the 13" MacBook Pro, they mean.

Why would they do that it's their best selling Macbook

• Reply 12 of 199

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I hope this news is true. The 17" MacBook Pro annoys me. These are supposed to be portable machines ffs. Consumers don't want to carry these huge laptops around with them. 15" should be the maximum.

As hard as this may be for you to hear, you are not everyone. Speak for yourself!

• Reply 13 of 199
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member

Quote:

It annoys you that others own them? Use them? I used to haul around a Compaq portable; they weren't called luggables for nothing.  The 17" MBP running at 1920 x 1200 is sleek, gorgeous and agile.

I'm calling BS on this rumor.

• Reply 14 of 199
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    When I see someone with a 17" laptop I immediately think of rednecks with Dodge Rams who never actually haul anything.
  • Reply 15 of 199
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

You hope something you don't even use is discontinued? What is wrong with you? Do you think Apple can run a viable business by selling only the products you buy? And considering it's a MacBook Pro, why are you even talking about consumers.

• Reply 16 of 199
    mariomario Posts: 348member

They might as well drop the pretentious Pro from the name of their products, since no pro of any kind is going to continue to use their iCrap any more.

• Reply 17 of 199
    mario wrote: »
    <p> They might as well drop the pretentious Pro from the name of their products, since no pro of any kind is going to continue to use their iCrap any more.<br />  </p>

April fools was 22 days ago dude
  • Reply 18 of 199
    The 13" MacBook was cut because it had a suitable replacement also it was the only model manufactured out of polycarbonate not aluminium thereby streamlining manufacturing and reducing costs (increasing profits). Since Jobs' return Apple has cut non-essential products from their lineup. A lot of people would agree that a 17" MBP is an essential product catering to professional and personal needs of many customers. The increased costs in streamlining a 17" MBP may certainly delay an "air" form factor but it does not mean they will kill off a solid performer.
  • Reply 19 of 199
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Well some consumers don't agree with you or Apple would not have been building them all this time. You are probably one of the same guys that said the iPad was nothing more than a big iPad and would flop. Go to you local Apple store and ask if they sell any 17" MBP. It is the only machine I would consider for doing graphics, video and programming cause it is the only machine that has enough screen real-estate.

• Reply 20 of 199
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

"I refuse to accept that other people have different use cases than me. Cater only to my whims."

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

Why would they do that it's their best selling Macbook

Because it has no purpose in the face of a redesign. And because they couldn't care less what their bestselling product is if they're going to be making something better.

Drop the ODD in the 13" Pro and what do you have? A MacBook Air with a slower hard drive. So if there's a redesign, there's little point to keeping the 13" Pro around. So that's gone. And with that gone and with the entire line looking relatively identical, there's no point to the "Pro" and "Air" name sticking around. So drop those, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario View Post

They might as well drop the pretentious Pro from the name of their products, since no pro of any kind is going to continue to use their iCrap any more.

Don't you have some pipes to clean? Heaven forbid you get bitten by a piranha.