Trash and Kernel Panic

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Right now I have a problem with my trash. I have 4 items in my trash, and when I try to empty it I get a kernel panic every time. Ever since the first panic I get one whenever I do anything with these files. Move onto desktop -> Kernel Panic. Empty Trash - > Kernel Panic. Use rm command in terminal -> Kernel Panic.

Does anybody know anything about what might be causing this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    um, first thing i'd want to know is what's in the trash?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Sorry, all that is in there is Snood, SoundStudio 1.5.5, Snood prefrences, and sBox 10.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    a few questions then.

if you take those items out, and put something else in, does it still KP?

if it does, something's wrong with the trash, and you might need to do a reinstall of the OS.

if not, then it's the files.

try pulling them out and putting them on the C drive.

then log in as root and rm -rf the files. just do it from outside the trash.

if it KP's again, then there's something up with those files, i have no idea how you'd get rid of them at that point. i'd suggest booting off a 10.2 CD and then try to repair permissions. it sounds like it's some funky permissions problem.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Wow, it seems like we're thinking around the same lines. I already tried fixing the permissions, I opened the .trash in the root folder and tried to rm them in the terminal, I tried to take them out of the trash but it got another kernel panic again, I tried to open the trash and rm them in the terminal like that. None of those did anything other give me a KP. I would boot into 9 and get rid of them but the trash is a hidden 'folder' and it's in the root folder so I can't see them in 9. I made a bootable Jag install cd, the thing where you burn a new copy disc of it but include a user folder, and I'm gonna see if I can delete them like that. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll post my results.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Nope. But I did manage to rm every file away until I was left with one. I tried the last one and I got a panic. It's Snood, the OS X beta that came out a while ago. Damn that Snood.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    man, i have no idea what else you could do. there's got to be some way to find the .trash file when in OS9, and that's about all i can think of. maybe see if you can find something on versiontracker that will show hidden OSX files when in OS9, and go from there.

you've done just about everything i can think of, not a lot of options left.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Yeah, I'll check for an app to see hidden folders in 9, I'm running out of options. The thing is though, when I go to the .trash in my root folder, every file will appear except Snood, the one that causes the problem. I can only tell that it's in the trash by clicking on the trash in the dock, if I actually locate the trash, it appears empty.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Have you installed Norton Utilities?

The Unerase kernel extension has been known to cause kernel panics when emptying the trash. Uninstall Norton
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Yeah I did install Norton, even though I've never gotten to work properly, I'll check that out. Thank you.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    That didn't work, but after a few tries I decided to try to rm it once more through the terminal. I opened the trash and dropped snood into the terminal, but this time I didn't just rm it, I decided to rm -rf Snood because I figured that the app is technically a folder, so I gave that a shot and it just went away. I tested deleting some other random crap and it's all fine. I don't know if getting rid of Norton helped in the long run or not, but I got it fixed now so whatever works.