Tickets to Apple's WWDC 2012 sell out in two hours

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tickets to this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, to be held from June 11 through 15 in San Francisco, sold out in just two hours Wednesday morning.

Apple announced the dates for WWDC and began selling tickets at 8:30 a.m. Eastern on Wednesday. But by 10:30 a.m., the official WWDC website was no longer accepting registrations.

"Sorry, tickets are sold out," the site reads. "We?ll be posting videos of all our sessions shortly after the conference, so everyone can take advantage of great WWDC content for free."

The two-hour sellout is the fastest ever for Apple's annual developers conference. Last year, WWDC sold out in a record 10 hours, while in 2010 it took Apple 8 days to sell all of the tickets.

The event will kick off on June 11 at San Francisco's Moscone West center, which can accommodate roughly 5,000 attendees. Apple has promised to show off the future of iOS and OS X at this year's conference.

WWDC

Last year, Apple used WWDC to unveil iOS 5 and also to highlight features from OS X 10.7 Lion. It's presumed that this year will be a similarly software-focused event with the unveiling of iOS 6 and new details on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, both of which are expected to become publicly available later this year.

Though the conference is officially sold out, Apple's website still offers the opportunity for students who build applications to apply for a WWDC 2012 Student Scholarship.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

YET AGAIN! I miss it! 

• Reply 2 of 37

Poor Pacific coast-ers.

• Reply 3 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Hey. Apple.

This has happened, what, four years in a row?

RENT A STADIUM.

• Reply 4 of 37
    toruktoruk Posts: 38member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey. Apple.

RENT A STADIUM.

Perhaps Apple will host events like the TED2023 conference some day.

• Reply 5 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey. Apple.

RENT A STADIUM.

No, that wouldn't do at all. The whole point of being there is not to attend announcements, but to spend time with the 1,000 Apple engineers that are present to discuss development one-on-one. Too many people in attendance reduces your access to these engineers.

It would make more sense for Apple to hold a pair of events to keep the ratio of attendees to engineers good while allowing access to more people.

• Reply 6 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

It would make more sense for Apple to hold a pair of events to keep the ratio of attendees to engineers good while allowing access to more people.

So how do you stop the devs from the first event from coming to the second one?

• Reply 7 of 37

It was less than 30 minutes from the time they sent the email to the time they were sold out.

Email: 7.01am PST

Sold out: 7:27am PST

Got mine, though :)

• Reply 8 of 37
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Taking their engineers off of their development duties for one week is bad enough. They aren't going to do it for two.

What they should do is move the keynote to Main Moscone and make it a separate event, free for everyone. Then people aren't buying up tickets just to watch the keynote. Press should also be free to attend WWDC, but they are last in line to get into sessions.

• Reply 9 of 37
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

You simply offer the purchases of one (and only one) ticket, give the developer a choice of time, if both are still open, and do not allow them to purchase any more tickets. You couldn't do it by Apple ID, since anyone can have as many of those as they want, but the logistics wouldn't be all that hard to take care of.

• Reply 10 of 37
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member

I received the notice in time, but opted not to buy. They did away with the IT track last year and didn't bring it back this year. So I'll go to other conferences that cater more to IT pros. A true developer can make better use of the spot I would have taken up at WWDC. It's a great event, and I'm sorry to miss it, but I simply can't justify going to it anymore.

• Reply 11 of 37

You set a condition saying if you attended the "first" WWDC you can't come to the "second" one to give as many developers an opportunity.  That's the only way I can think of anyway.  But it would be a good idea to have two I think.  What will happen next year, the sell out in 30 minutes?

• Reply 12 of 37
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

How much were the tickets?

• Reply 13 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

You set a condition saying if you attended the "first" WWDC you can't come to the "second" one to give as many developers an opportunity. 

Yes, but that's completely unenforceable.

Oh! What am I thinking… Just have two events, a month apart, the same content in each. You'll still have tens of thousands of developers unable to attend, but you'll have more than now.

• Reply 14 of 37
    I missed last year, but made it this year. WOO HOO!
  • Reply 15 of 37
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So how do you stop the devs from the first event from coming to the second one?

I personally think Apple should extend WWDC to two weeks. One week for OS X and the other for iOS. Developers can then buy tickets for one or both. Something like that would work better than squeezing everything in 5 days.

• Reply 16 of 37
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

I guess people didn't heed David Morgenstern (ZDNet) when he wrote his opus, "To WWDC or not to WWDC, that is the question"

• Reply 17 of 37
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I personally think Apple should extend WWDC to two weeks. One week for OS X and the other for iOS. Developers can then buy tickets for one or both. Something like that would work better than squeezing everything in 5 days.

That's what I was thinking.  Combine that with the suggestion elsewhere that the keynote be an open-for-all event and separate press from developers better, and I think you'd have a lot more happy, productive developers-- both on the attendee and presenter sides.

I'd also suggest that Apple announce when tickets would go on sale ahead of time to give people in every time zone time to plan and decide.

• Reply 18 of 37
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Poor Pacific coast-ers.

I got my ticket and am in Oregon :)... I had text alerts, email alerts all set up... I was one it lol

• Reply 19 of 37
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

The WWDC 2012 needs to become The Apple WWDC Tour 2012. Clearly.

• Reply 20 of 37
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Poor Pacific coast-ers.

Tell me about it.  :-(