Irish PM visits Apple's European headquarters

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Prime Minister Enda Kenny visited Apple's European headquarters in Cork, Ireland on Friday after the company announced that it would be creating 500 new jobs with a planned expansion.

The reason for the Irish prime minister's visit is unknown, but reports are that Kenny met with employees at Apple's Cork campus, which has been company's European headquarters since 1980 and serves as a base of management for all products sold within the EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) region, reports MacWorld UK.

Apple announced last week that it would be expanding its operations in Europe, which includes the addition of 500 jobs to the existing 2,800 at its Cork location. The new hires will work in a three-story office building that is expected to see completion in 18 months.

The Holyhill campus at Cork, or Corcaigh in Irish Gaelic, is home to Apple's first international base of operations outside the U.S.

Earlier this month, Holyhill was the site of a Greenpeace demonstration, staged atop Apple's main building, that opposed the coal power used at Apple's iCloud datacenter in Maiden, North Carolina.

Irish PM
Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny visits Apple's headquarters in Cork. | Source: MacWorld UK

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

A sad and pathetic politician eager for a photo opp (I contacted Enterprise Ireland in February to inform them that when you googled the Hollyhill address for Apple (as listed in an Apple legal filing) and select 'street view' -  you get a security fence with garbage, not the best image - No one cared, it was suggested I contact another agency. 

"Thank you for your email - I appreciate your comments, however Apple and foreign direct interest is the remit of IDA Ireland"

• Reply 2 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple announced last week that it would be expanding its operations in Europe, which includes the addition of 500 jobs to the existing 2,800 at its Cork location. The new hires will work in a three-story office building that is expected to see completion in 18 months

The PM promised to have 500 women deliver the workers to him in only 9 months.

• Reply 3 of 12
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

The new hires will work in a three-story office building that is expected to see completion in 18 months.

May I suggest a two-story building instead, so as not to encourage any jumpers?  ;-)

• Reply 4 of 12
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

Quote:

The Holyhill campus at Cork, or Corcaigh in Irish Gaelic, is home to Apple's first international base of operations outside the U.S.

Why do you feel the need to specify the Irish name for Cork, but keep referring to the Taoiseach in English rather than Irish?

• Reply 5 of 12
    igrouchigrouch Posts: 47member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Why do you feel the need to specify the Irish name for Cork, but keep referring to the Teoiseach in English rather than Irish?

Ouch. An Taoiseach. Get the spelling right. But lets not get all uptight about it. Lets show the world that we are a laid back casual bunch...even in spelling our leasers title. (Whats he talking about?) For our foreign viewers it is pronounced T Shock so my intro Ouch is kind of ironic. 

Also nice to see the plain people of Ireland working at Apple; no funny goatees, strange haircuts or designer rimmed glasses to make us look more intelligent than we actually are.

• Reply 6 of 12

Just realised I made a nice typo there "leasers". Can't find the edit button. Another ironic spelling faux pas. Leasing us out to the Troika (IMF,EU,ECB). There you go, a fine example of casual Irish creative thinking.

• Reply 7 of 12
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iGrouch View Post

Just realised I made a nice typo there "leasers". Can't find the edit button. Another ironic spelling faux pas. Leasing us out to the Troika (IMF,EU,ECB). There you go, a fine example of casual Irish creative thinking.

Yes, if you are going to hassle someone over a spelling mistake try and make sure you don't make any yourself...

Plus the edit button is the little pencil icon at the bottom left of your post.

• Reply 8 of 12
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    [B]iGrouch[/B]—I thought it was a nice (intentional) combination of "leader" and "loser," maybe a cynical coinage we could use in the U.S. I did not think it would apply to the PM, though. He seems to be a mensch.

What's your word for mensch? And by the way, thanks for the pronounciation guide. All Irish words ought to come with user instructions, methinks.

Edit: removed wild guess, as per Gaelinglish tips below.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Tee shock is a near enough pronunciation. It means Prime Minister, but prime minister is an adequate English substitution.
  • Reply 10 of 12

Trading up Prime Minister for Taoiseach, and Gaelic for Gaelighe, and all the other funnies is called 'Gaelinglish' to us choppy Irish speakers. ;-)

• Reply 11 of 12
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

as a kid I though it was teashop....

BTW does anyone know where in Ireland the iTunes servers are? I hadn't even realised that they were in Ireland until I noticed that they charge a whopping 23% VAT.

• Reply 12 of 12

Yes the VAT went up from 21% to 23 last budget.