Mot's semi division actually moving forward?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Mot to join with Philips and STM on a new semi production/research venture. While most of this <a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1001-881669.html"; target="_blank"> article </a> discusses consumer products, this is still interesting for two reasons, one:

[quote] To get the work done, Motorola will join Philips and STMicroelectronics in a newly established research and development center in Crolles, France. The company will also pitch in on a pilot 300-millimeter chip production line there.

At the Crolles facility, the companies will develop new chip manufacturing technology from the 90-nanometer level down to 32 nanometers during the next five years...Most current chips are built at 180- or 130-nanometer levels. As manufacturers shrink this size, about every two years, the chips become cheaper to produce, consume less power and can achieve higher clock speeds.

<hr></blockquote>

Two: This seems to indicate that Mot isn't ready to sell what remains of its SPS anytime soon.

Seems to me that it is a lot harder to pitch a whole sector to potential buyers if you have just committed to paying 1/3* $1.4Billion in the next three years.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Transcendental Octothorpe ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    [quote]Originally posted by Transcendental Octothorpe:

<strong>Mot to join with Philips and STM on a new semi production/research venture. While most of this <a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1001-881669.html"; target="_blank"> article </a> discusses consumer products, this is still interesting for two reasons, one:

Two: This seems to indicate that Mot isn't ready to sell what remains of its SPS anytime soon.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Transcendental Octothorpe ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

As I understand it, it's only the rights to the PPC that might be up for grabs as the AIM alliance ends its life.

I was really excited by this deal (slow day) but looking more closely its mostly looks like mobile phone technology.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    "The G5 in cell phones?! Holy zoyks Batman!"

This may not be tied to the PPC alliance, but it is nice to see Mot making some progress in the semiconductor area.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Great news : it's well known that the major problem of mot is the fab process of his chips and not their design. Mot was too small to make such R&D investissment alone : this join venture is a good new for the future of all PPC chips.

Crolles is a small town in France near Grenoble, i in Crolles from the age of zero to two, then i live in Grenoble until the age of 24.

Grenoble (winter olympic game of 1968) is a town with many reserch center, (the synchrotron for example) with big center by big company like HP, software company and have university school in both software and hardware with many students. to my humble advice it is the reasons of this choice. I will add that Grenoble for a man who love sport is a good choice : the range of choice go to windsurf in lake,to ski.

This reserch center will create 1200 jobs and will cost 3 billions dollars.

So is there anybody here to say know that Mot is going to sell is semi-conductor division ?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Well, I don't have anything to add to this other than the fact that france is where they are working, and we've gotten some g5 rumors in french.