networking OSX to Windoes XP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
There was somebody here who helped me with this before. If you could help me again I would thank you greatly...

I had to restore my PC...

reformat it...

I forgot how to set up dual platform networking to share files from Windows XP to OSX and from OSX to XP

If you could walk me through it I would be so thankful and I will print out the results.

Thank you..

BTW... I am using an airport with wireless to iBook and Cat5 cable from airport to my PC

Thanks Again..

Fellowship

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: FellowshipChurch iBook ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    -On PC and Mac, make sure the workgroup names are the same. On PC, this means Start-&gt;MyComputer-&gt;Rightclcik-&gt;Properties-&gt;Computer Name-&gt; press Change. Should be Workgroup as the workgroupname. On Mac, Applications:Utilities launch Directory Access, click lock and enter password to admin, then click smb and configure. Make sure name is the same workgroup name as on PC.

-On Mac, System preferences:Sharing Tab. Click on Windows File Sharing

-On PC: Make sure you have atleast one folder shared.

-To mount PC share on the Mac:Go menu, Connect to Server. If the PC shows up great, just click it. If not, enter the IP as smb://IP_Adress/sharename. Enter userid and password and you are set

-To mount Mac shares on the PC:Start-&gt;My Network Places, Click Add Network Place. Click Next a few times, till you see a Browse button, click browse, expand Entire Network object until you see the Mac name there.

Both the Mac and the PC have to have folders shared inorder to share.

If either computer can't 'see' the other:

-check cables

-check workgroup names

-ensure folders are shared

-pick up XP box and heave it out the Window.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by Tulkas:

<strong>-On PC and Mac, make sure the workgroup names are the same. On PC, this means Start-&gt;MyComputer-&gt;Rightclcik-&gt;Properties-&gt;Computer Name-&gt; press Change. Should be Workgroup as the workgroupname. On Mac, Applications:Utilities launch Directory Access, click lock and enter password to admin, then click smb and configure. Make sure name is the same workgroup name as on PC.

-On Mac, System preferences:Sharing Tab. Click on Windows File Sharing

-On PC: Make sure you have atleast one folder shared.

-To mount PC share on the Mac:Go menu, Connect to Server. If the PC shows up great, just click it. If not, enter the IP as smb://IP_Adress/sharename. Enter userid and password and you are set

-To mount Mac shares on the PC:Start-&gt;My Network Places, Click Add Network Place. Click Next a few times, till you see a Browse button, click browse, expand Entire Network object until you see the Mac name there.

Both the Mac and the PC have to have folders shared inorder to share.

If either computer can't 'see' the other:

-check cables

-check workgroup names

-ensure folders are shared

-pick up XP box and heave it out the Window.</strong><hr></blockquote>

THANKS MAN

IT ALL WORKS!!!!